Final Fantasy Chronological Order

I've been running through the first 6 FF games just for fun, haven't played them in awhile and some of them I haven't played since I was a kid. I am playing some on SNES and some on GBA. But I am a lil confused about a couple things regarding the chronological order of the games. Like FF III on the SNES is the same as FF VI on the GBA. If I remember correctly, our version of FF III was Japan's FF VI and if that's the case, is there an American version of the real FF III. And also, is the GBA version of FF V the same as the Japanese one or is there another version of FF V? Lol just typing this question confuses me. When I was a lil kid, I knew how it all worked but I've since forgotten how the order of the games gos. Can someone re-enlighten me as to what's what. I wanna play the games in their correct order.

Our version of FF 1 & 2 are the same as the Japanese versions and so was FF III the only one that was off from the Japanese chronological order. Are our FF V and IV the same as theirs.

So since FF 2 on SNES was actually FF IV, does that mean the original FF 2 was never released in the US? Is FF 1 in the Dawn of Souls GBA release, the true original, the same as Japan's FF 1? And is FF 2 in dawn of souls the same as the FF 2 that was on SNES. The first FF game I ever played was FF 3 on SNES back when it first came out.

FF III, Chrono Trigger & Earthbound were the games that made me fall in love with that style of RPG. The Ultimate series on Commodore 64/PC were my first taste of RPG. Commodore 64 was obviously a lil before mu tike, I was born in 1986, but when I was about 6 or 7, one of my Uncles gave me his old Commodore 64 and a huge box full of games and that was when I discovered Ultima as well as many other games. And then when we got our first PC I got the most current version of Ultima that was out at that time

Secret of Mana and Illusion of Gaia was another two of my favorite RPGs.

Last edited:
So since FF 2 on SNES was actually FF IV, does that mean the original FF 2 was never released in the US? Is FF 1 in the Dawn of Souls GBA release, the true original, the same as Japan's FF 1? And is FF 2 in dawn of souls the same as the FF 2 that was on SNES. The first FF game I ever played was FF 3 on SNES back when it first came out.

Dawn of Souls has the original 2 (Japanese FF2, not the FFIV that we got). The best way to look at it is to see the Japanese release numbers as the true numbers and forget the US numbers entirely.

With the rereleases that Square has been doing, it's using the true numbered titles, not the US release ones.

So FF1 and FF2 on the PSP, Dawn of Souls on the GBA, FF3 on the DS are all the original story lines from the Japanese 1, 2 and 3. Not 1, 4 and 6 like the US got.

Just a quick question regarding FF IV on GBA. It's been a longwhile since I've played it and I am almost finished with it but one thing I don't get is this item I keep finding "Hermes Shoes". The main character Cecil is the only one it says can use it but yet there is no slot in his equipment for shoes. So there's no where to equip them on em. None of the characters have a slot for feet. So I don't get what the point of it is. In the last hour, I've found 4 Herme's shoes tho and so I don't get why I keep getting so many of them if I can't use them lol the only thing they seem to be good for is the 100gil that I can sell them for.

Also, one of the white mages that joins your party later in the game, Porom, has a spell called float which causes whatever character you cast it on to levitate. What's the point of that ? Does it serve any purpose or help you with anything in the game?

a spell called float which causes whatever character you cast it on to levitate. What's the point of that ?

It's used to avoid earthquakes and I think floods too... I remember using it on some enemies/bosses

Just a quick question regarding FF IV on GBA. It's been a longwhile since I've played it and I am almost finished with it but one thing I don't get is this item I keep finding "Hermes Shoes". The main character Cecil is the only one it says can use it but yet there is no slot in his equipment for shoes. So there's no where to equip them on em. None of the characters have a slot for feet. So I don't get what the point of it is. In the last hour, I've found 4 Herme's shoes tho and so I don't get why I keep getting so many of them if I can't use them lol the only thing they seem to be good for is the 100gil that I can sell them for.

Been a LONG time, but seems to me they are an item to use in battle to cast haste?

I thought OP was talking chronological order of each FF story before I entered thread.

I was about to get out popcorn and expect Legend of Zelda-esque story nerdery which goes more in depth than a thesis on LotR

I thought OP was talking chronological order of each FF story before I entered thread.

I was about to get out popcorn and expect Legend of Zelda-esque story nerdery which goes more in depth than a thesis on LotR

No I just meant the order of the games. As far as story goes I wasn't aware that any of them connected. I know there is some connection between each game in a way, but as far as storylines go, they are all independent of each other aren't they ? Each game is a different story line.

No I just meant the order of the games. As far as story goes I wasn't aware that any of them connected. I know there is some connection between each game in a way, but as far as storylines go, they are all independent of each other aren't they ? Each game is a different story line.

I'm wondering that too, never thought about it that way.

Not entirely, correct. 10 and 13 have sequels, and there are a plethora of FF7 side story games. FF4 has the After Years missions too. FFT and FF12 are in the same universe, but not connected.

Back