Final Fantasy beta won't download?

aFive

2[H]4U
Hey everybody, please see attached screenshot.

Basically, I signed up for the beta, went to download the client. Steps 1 and 2 went by real fast, although the download speed has been 0kbps...bug? Now, step 3 is stuck at 98.3%. Look at the time remaining, it's been like that for at least an hour! I tried restarting the client, same thing happens. It goes through the first two steps really fast. Local connections number keeps on changing though.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1425/73153482.jpg

EDIT: Also, see my core info on the right side. Default clock on my i7 is 1.6ghz, but this downloader makes my clock go to 2.4ghz... So, maybe it is doing something?

ive heard it is better to download it via torrent because of problems like these. once you download it you can play the open beta fine, but most people have trouble downloading/patching etc.

You'll find out alternative methods in the other FFXIV thread...but for me Just cancelling it a few times and then just waiting, and waiting it finally finished.

Also if you might want to disable anti-virus. MSE was giving me a false positive and prevented the install from completing

I had this exact same thing happen. I just deleted the "downloads" folder from the FFXIV folder in the My Games directory and let it try again. It eventually worked.

I had this exact same thing happen. I just deleted the "downloads" folder from the FFXIV folder in the My Games directory and let it try again. It eventually worked.

I'll try that, if not, Torrent it is lol.

Got the torrent, now the patch download gets stuck at 99.6%! I found a link to manual patches, but after I paste them in correct folder and run the client it says that I need to make sure I have over 2543434gb free space for patches.... ugh... Ideas/

When you pasted them to the correct folder, were you replacing an existing file, or dropping it completely new in there?

When you pasted them to the correct folder, were you replacing an existing file, or dropping it completely new in there?

Completely new, but I figured it out.

If you go to metadata folder, it has actual torrent files in there. All you gotta do is download them using another torrent client, then paste them in patch folder. It works now, but I can't play anyways as servers are down :(.

Where can I find the required files to download? The normal download launcher is not working for me at all!

The downloader FFXIV is using is terrible. Took my roommate over 2 days to get the game. I am on 1 day and *5* restarts of the downloader. I was stuck at 98.3% for a while as well. Sometimes it just stops or errors out. Each restart can take 15 minutes before it start downloading again (slowly).

Yeah, the damn updater EATS CPU cycles too... it's constantly using way more than you think it should.

What a waste of bandwidth and my time. Sure, characters look very detailed, but everything else plain sucks, played for a total of 5 minutes. Lag everywhere, no matter what, aside from models, environments don't even look that great, but it lags like a mother. If you get past all that, ui lag is terrible... why would anybody put all ui elements on the server? Ictuess it is the way of the future, but we're far from being there now...

working as intended
the in game patcher forces you to seed some unknown amount
fuck them use a utorrent or any thing that support DHT and get the patch in no time at all

What a waste of bandwidth and my time. Sure, characters look very detailed, but everything else plain sucks, played for a total of 5 minutes. Lag everywhere, no matter what, aside from models, environments don't even look that great, but it lags like a mother. If you get past all that, ui lag is terrible... why would anybody put all ui elements on the server? Ictuess it is the way of the future, but we're far from being there now...

right after I read this, I was finally finish downloading and installing. sweet baby jesus the ui lag in this game is more terrible than I was expecting. I played for a few minute and had to turn it off. for a game with this horrendous lag, they should at least give people some bigger buttons to click on.

my housemate has been playing with a gamepad to avoid the ui lag. the gamepad support is not setup for a 360 controller though. you need to manually map everything and you have no idea what you even need. how anyone can make a pc game designed for a gamepad and not include a 360 controller profile blows my mind.

the charcater models looks great though :eek:

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
right after I read this, I was finally finish downloading and installing. sweet baby jesus the ui lag in this game is more terrible than I was expecting. I played for a few minute and had to turn it off. for a game with this horrendous lag, they shoud at least give people some bigger buttons to click on.

my housemate has been playing with a gamepad to avoid the ui lag. the gamepad support is not setup for a 360 controller though. you need to manually map everything and you have no idea what you even need. how anyone can make a pc game designed for a gamepad and not include a 360 controller profile blows my mind.

the charcater models looks great though :eek:

Exactly! It wasn't even fun at all. This is still a beta, when the game goes live, there will be more people playing, meaning higher server load = more lag. It's not even something they can patch, game is doomed, unless they redo the entire system which is currently in place.

For you guys complaining about lag, the biggest problem (IMO) is the mouse lag. There's a fix for it mentioned in this post:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036143844&postcount=140

The only problem is, you have to back up your executable because every time another patch comes out (daily) you have to put back the unmodded exe, let it update, and then re-mod for the mouse fix once it comes out again. Annoying but makes a huge difference.

For you guys complaining about lag, the biggest problem (IMO) is the mouse lag. There's a fix for it mentioned in this post:

The only problem is, you have to back up your executable because every time another patch comes out (daily) you have to put back the unmodded exe, let it update, and then re-mod for the mouse fix once it comes out again. Annoying but makes a huge difference.

I will give this a shot however its not very reassuring that the game runs at all with a modified .exe file.

that helps for the mouse lag the other issue is all UI actions are done server side
so opening a menu takes at lest 5 sec

that helps for the mouse lag the other issue is all UI actions are done server side
so opening a menu takes at lest 5 sec

Yea that's still true. Some character actions take way too long as well.

Yea that's still true. Some character actions take way too long as well.

The fact that some kidder has to fix the issue says something about them, why couldn't they have put a fix out for that since apperantly the mouse issue has been known for a long time now. While it does help, there are still way too many problems to count, to me at least.

The fact that some kidder has to fix the issue says something about them, why couldn't they have put a fix out for that since apperantly the mouse issue has been known for a long time now. While it does help, there are still way too many problems to count, to me at least.

I totally agree. I won't be subscribing unless there are some drastic changes, so, basically, I won't be playing it post beta. I'm not holding my breath for any real fixes for the PC. I played FFXI a while but quit because I got bored after a while.

I found a 'hugnry wolf' in out of the open areas. also if you read the quest texts, there is a bunch of bad engrish and sentences that literally make no sense.

there are a lot of ridiculous problems that should not be in a game shipping in a matter of days. often I had no idea where to go or what to do in the game. square makes this 'better' by just resetting your character with no explanation if you go the wrong way. I don't get the combat at all, either it just sucks or everything happens 4 seconds after I wanted it to happen. plus if you try shooting a spell outside of your range, nothing happens. it does not tell you that the range is too far unless you look at the comabt log. the no keyboard turning was drives me crazy too, the controls are unlike any other mmo I have played.

the whole thing feels like a tech demo more than a game. this is the worst new player experience of any mmo I have tried.

I found a 'hugnry wolf' in out of the open areas. also if you read the quest texts, there is a bunch of bad engrish and sentences that literally make no sense.

there are a lot of ridiculous problems that should not be in a game shipping in a matter of days. often I had no idea where to go or what to do in the game. square makes this 'better' by just resetting your character with no explanation if you go the wrong way. I don't get the combat at all, either it just sucks or everything happens 4 seconds after I wanted it to happen. plus if you try shooting a spell outside of your range, nothing happens. it does not tell you that the range is too far unless you look at the comabt log. the no keyboard turning was drives me crazy too, the controls are unlike any other mmo I have played.

the whole thing feels like a tech demo more than a game. this is the worst new player experience of any mmo I have tried.

That's just funny, have to have more integrity in the game than that. I've seen Lotro have few spelling errors here and anyway,but that was quickly fixed and not in any main quests anyway.

That first quest where you see two dead bodies, it kept resetting my character every time I tried to run away.... you say that there is more of that... I definitely will not play an mmo like that! I like to have freedom in where I go, and how I get my quest done, I don't want the game to create invinsible boundaries to every quest of mine.

No notification of being out of range... oh cmon, while more advanced players will eventually get a hang of it, what about those who are less advanced? They will be left confused and think that there's a bug in the game basically!

FFXIV is a great game.

It requires you to interact in a positive and logical way with your fellow players. (Most WoW breeds won't do well here.)

It is what games used to be. No guides, no hand outs.

Hardware mouse patch is epic, btw.

Lag is non-exisistant after the giant server reboot and patches they've done this weekend. It's worth a shot, very awesome game.

---

FFXIVcore.com is a excellent resource and there is a thread running with constant updates for all patches offered in a direct download format. Don't blame SE for setting it up in a efficient way (torrent), it's your network that's the problem.

FFXIV is a great game.

It requires you to interact in a positive and logical way with your fellow players. (Most WoW breeds won't do well here.)

It is what games used to be. No guides, no hand outs.

Hardware mouse patch is epic, btw.

Lag is non-exisistant after the giant server reboot and patches they've done this weekend. It's worth a shot, very awesome game.

---

FFXIVcore.com is a excellent resource and there is a thread running with constant updates for all patches offered in a direct download format. Don't blame SE for setting it up in a efficient way (torrent), it's your network that's the problem.

Ha, no! Others have same issues as I. I consider myself being more advanced than an average user out there.... Hell, I even have a degree in networking. Point is, I had to jump through hoops just to play this game. I had to use UTorrent to download all of the patches, instead of their client. Do you think I am going to disable all of the Msoft security just to get the patcher to working right? Or that I will sit there and waste my upload for an hour before my download actually works? NO!

Nothing wrong with P2P, WoW did that, others have too. Their systems worked, I had no issue using them. But this, this is plain insane. I shouldn't have to play around with the client and browse the web for half hour in order to get a 5 mb patch downloaded...

I apologize, I was responding to more the thread mentality on bittorrent rather than directing it at you.

It can be frustrating, as most things are in life.

What are your opinions on the game once you got it working?

I apologize, I was responding to more the thread mentality on bittorrent rather than directing it at you.

It can be frustrating, as most things are in life.

What are your opinions on the game once you got it working?
You souls Like somebody who works for them, lol. This thread about summarizes it. Frustrating to say the least. A lot of the elements I do not like at all, although I am impressed by some of the visuals for sure. I really do think that it could use some work, specially in performance department.

Back