Final Fantasy 8 now on Steam

me either :p

But I'll probably play through it a bit, anyway.

Wow, I did not expect this. Love this game. But I'm going to assume this also requires an SE account. Will probably just stick to the PSN version.

Now, is this the same port from Eidos that's brought over to Steam or did they actually do a proper port? In other words: The graphics look better and the sound issues which I believe plagued the original PC port were fixed. If not, I may just use ePSXe and my original PS1 copy.

This is probably a rhetorical question that has already been answered.

I might pick it up if it goes on sale this Christmas. I never finished it.

I might pick it up if it goes on sale this Christmas. I never finished it.

Despite its criticisms, FF8 was pretty good in my opinion. It had a good story, gameplay was different and interesting, and the graphics were better than FF7.

I finished it many times already. I do recommend playing it. My favorite will always be FF6, but FF8 is still ranked high up there for me below FF4 and FF5.

I read in another thread that this game has inferior music to the PSX version as well. Or at least the original PC port did, don't know if they fixed that for steam, like they did with FF7

FF7 & FF8 are probably the only ones that will ever show up on steam.

Those are the only ones that received some sort of port to the PC (though both of them were pretty crappy if I remember correctly). ePSXe can play these with great filters and smooth graphics for anyone interested.

I read in another thread that this game has inferior music to the PSX version as well. Or at least the original PC port did, don't know if they fixed that for steam, like they did with FF7

FF7 on Steam requires a mod to get psx quality music

I liked what FF8 was on the surface, but as a game it was rough at best and horrible at worst.
Drain, drain, drain. Magic is worthless. Your stats don't matter unless you drain either.
Keep trying to swipe things from bosses with a 5% success rate or miss them forever. 1990's card-game shoved down your throat. Gun swords...really?
If they could ever re-do FF8 with the gameplay from 6 or 7 it would be amazing. 8 had the best setting and some of the better characters, but the game itself left a lot to be desired.

You didn't like FFVIII after playing FFVII.

Compare FFVIII to the stuff put out now days.

You didn't like FFVIII after playing FFVII.

Compare FFVIII to the stuff put out now days.

8 starts off very slow and the story is weak.
But its still better than anything from Square Enix since......2004?
SquareEnix as a company, in general, has been doing terrible since they entered the 7th gen of console games. They are truly an "old guard" type of company. The old drunk men obsessed with androgynous characters need to go.
Toriyama needs to get canned. The "Lightning" games are terrible. Nobody asked for 3 games of that....I love 8, if the alternative is any of the XIII games...

8 starts off very slow and the story is weak.
But its still better than anything from Square Enix since......2004?
SquareEnix as a company, in general, has been doing terrible since they entered the 7th gen of console games. They are truly an "old guard" type of company. The old drunk men obsessed with androgynous characters need to go.
Toriyama needs to get canned. The "Lightning" games are terrible. Nobody asked for 3 games of that....I love 8, if the alternative is any of the XIII games...

The pretty boy look is still incredibly popular in Japan. Until that changes Japanese focused games will make characters that appeal to the Japanese audience. That said, Nomura needs to stop being the lead character designer. He has clearly started to run out of ideas and is now doing a lot of recycling of characters. The whole FF design team needs some new blood. I didn't hate XIII like a lot of people but SE needs to stop spending so much time and money on graphics and go back to focusing on story and characters. X was the last time I felt they really tried to tell a compelling story with characters that had more than one or two personality traits to them.

As for FF8, I'd have to agree with the story. There were just way too many leaps of logic and "that's bullshit" moments for it to work. Anyone that has played the game can probably guess the point where I said "Nope. I don't buy it. This entire plot is bullshit".

Ff8 has some serious problems, but it sure as hell is million times better than the ffxiii shitfest. The first FF game i simply could not finish.

You must have never played FFX-2. That opening cinematic was probably one of the most cringe-worthy things I've seen to this day. I turned my system off before it even finished and buried the disc in my backyard.

Yeah i remember ff7 crashed all the time for me on my little win 98 rig back in the day. Same crap with ff8 on my win 2k rig. shoddy port. HOWEVER the Steam version of FF7 seems to run fine for me, add in some graphic mods and a nice music pack to do away with that midi garbage and its stellar.

**Hey SQUARE, i would buy all the FF's for PC if you make them, just tired of them being spread across all the stupid consoles and crappy hanhelds! garaghhhhhh! hint hint

You must have never played FFX-2. That opening cinematic was probably one of the most cringe-worthy things I've seen to this day. I turned my system off before it even finished and buried the disc in my backyard.

Ugh... do not remind me of FFX-2.

I did my very best to tolerate it but a quarter of the way through, the voice acting was fucking terrible enough to make me stop playing it. It's like being given the choice of listening to Miley Cyrus sing to you or listen to a bunch of voice actresses try their damndest to be squeaky teenage girls. This is why I absolutely abhor American dubbed games because many times they are just horribly done and use the wrong voices and personalities for these characters. The ones in X-2 were high pitched and sounded like every teenage girl I knew in high school.

I did managed to get a hold of FFX-2 International edition years ago and I might replay it on the PCSX2 since my PS2 isn't modded to play Japanese games. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm still reminded of the US version. At least the Japanese voices were better acted and better voiced.

Now, for the original final fantasy tactics and I will be ecstatic.

This. Very much this. I would love to see a FFT port especially the PSP version brought to the PC. I still have the original PS1 disc but I wouldn't mind seeing it upgraded maybe with higher resolution sprites and backgrounds, and actual orchestrated music instead of MIDI.

I admit I was one who really, really liked Final Fantasy VIII. Not perhaps as much as FF IV and/or VI (VI being a bloody masterpiece that I believe only stands besides perhaps Chrono Trigger and Xenogears for best JRPG of all time), but I liked VIII much more than VII. I think it failed to appeal to Western audience because the story was much more nuanced and both it and the character designs were created with a very Japanese take on the concept of Love. Those who weren't versed in these cultural issue likely were off-put. Atop this, its complex (and at times grindy, though improved in the new PC version releasing today on steam) battle system really didn't have as many adherents; though Triple Triad is thought to be the best card game in a FF or Square Enix game of all time. Overall though, I still consider it one of my favorites, and superior to many of the later games (ie Anything FFX, FFX-2, FFXIII etc...though FF IX was very enjoyable if harkening back to the simpler pre-FFVI day, and FFXII was very well done as well.)..

I really would like to see proper ports made for some other Final Fantasy and in general Square Enix titles, but I'd like them done right. High quality graphics and for the love of god include Japanese vocals for the later offerings that included them! Likewise, it should be the "best" version of the game that would be remade. For instance, I'd like to see Final Fantasy III and IV released on the PC using the port of the Android and or Nintendo DS 3D remake. Likewise, Chrono Trigger. I'd like to see these, along with Xenogears (and Xenosaga episodes 1, 2, and 3 uncensored ), Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions etc... and even Lost Odyssey (technically a Mistwalker title, but was better than most of the post -IX actual Final Fantasies!), brought to the PC.

Ugh... do not remind me of FFX-2.

I did my very best to tolerate it but a quarter of the way through, the voice acting was fucking terrible enough to make me stop playing it. It's like being given the choice of listening to Miley Cyrus sing to you or listen to a bunch of voice actresses try their damndest to be squeaky teenage girls. This is why I absolutely abhor American dubbed games because many times they are just horribly done and use the wrong voices and personalities for these characters. The ones in X-2 were high pitched and sounded like every teenage girl I knew in high school.

I did managed to get a hold of FFX-2 International edition years ago and I might replay it on the PCSX2 since my PS2 isn't modded to play Japanese games. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm still reminded of the US version. At least the Japanese voices were better acted and better voiced.

Since you are saying that I assume you have a deep understanding of the Japanese language and can accurately describe why a Japanese VO is good or bad?

Since you are saying that I assume you have a deep understanding of the Japanese language and can accurately describe why a Japanese VO is good or bad?

One example would be FFX
Tidus
Japanese version has the VO that does Kurosaki Ichigo in Bleach.
The NA version has that awful Jonathan-Taylor-Thomas sounding VO.
American VO have a history of ignoring the original releases so they can "develop their own character"
Most of the time it just kills the original meaning of whats being said and leads to cringey scenes with awful line delivery.

This is very prevalent in anime, especially the viz media shows like the NA Naruto and Bleach. They are awful in comparison because of that.

One example would be FFX
Tidus
Japanese version has the VO that does Kurosaki Ichigo in Bleach.
The NA version has that awful Jonathan-Taylor-Thomas sounding VO.
American VO have a history of ignoring the original releases so they can "develop their own character"
Most of the time it just kills the original meaning of whats being said and leads to cringey scenes with awful line delivery.

This is very prevalent in anime, especially the viz media shows like the NA Naruto and Bleach. They are awful in comparison because of that.

To be fair to FFX, it was in an era where nearly all video game voice over was terrible. Lunar and Lunar 2 were two of the only really well done game VOs of the time. It is so much better now.

Bleach isn't that bad, at least for some characters. Naruto on the other hand....Ugh. Still, I don't have the knowledge of the Japanese language or culture to judge the quality of it's original language. I judge the dubs based on how they sound in English and how I feel they represent that character. I know it sounds better in Japanese to my ears but that is because I simply don't have any frame of reference for the language. Without completely understanding a language you can not judge it's quality versus another language.

Luckily i never owned it though i did play it at my friends place and he did finish it. The whole game is nothing but one long fan service. It was terrible from start to finish...

I have never played ff12 though, that game kind of sneaked past me and didnt even know of its existence until long after it was released. But after XIII im not in a hurry to give it a chance but maybe one day...

Back