Final essay in comp ethics, could use input

Enlitence.Systems

Limp Gawd
So my final for my computer ethics course is an essay of choice, I choose violence in video games, I already referenced hot coffee mod, and how sexuality is worse then gang shootings according to polls. should i reference jack thompson?

My general perspective is that violent video games don't cause violence in real life, your choices do, games dont bring a gun to school, let along get you a gun, better parenting is needed for this.

your thoughts? 1/2 way done on a 7+ pager.

Be sure to back up your thoughts with
A) Logical arguments, not opinions.
B) Supporting evidence/citations.

You're not in there to preach, you've got a grade to earn so don't forget the academic core of this assignment. If you do it right, then getting an A and providing a convincing argument should go hand in hand.

Games aren't any more responsible for violence, than guns are. Plus I am sure cars cause more deaths per year than an guns and games per year.

I think a good example is Japan. They have very violent media, but a very peaceful society,

On the other end of the scale, I doubt that video games are that popular in Africa, but it seem that every week there is some kind of massacre happening somewhere in Africa.

There is no direct correlation between violent video games and violent behaviour, it just doesn't exist.

Search google and you will find a load of evidence to back this up.

Again, back yourself up:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2r6ns4y.jpg
or
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/viortrdtab.htm

Claiming something doesn't prove a damn thing, no matter how certain you are.

Persuasive arguments would require reasoning between your proposed theory and lead the reader to your conclusion, and along the way, knocking out the holes in your argument before someone else gets to them.

If you want to convince people that games don't evil, see it from THEIR perspective, and rip that up. Look at your argument from THEIR perspective, and rip up their counter-arguments. You need to lock it down tight.

There's more than one attack vector too. You can attack the reasoning behind the videogame/violence. They presumably want to save lives by stopping crazy kids, but is this even a useful channel for resources? http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/FASTATS/lcod.htm Recognize that even small causes of death(rare diseases) are still fought and worth fighting, so attack that too. For example, freedom vs. security. Would it be worth taking videogames from the world if it causes 1 death? How about movies? Music? How much freedom should be taken from another person to preserve someone else's. How much additional security is created increasing losses in freedom?(hint: there are diminishing returns) If you like you can even use the above on a paper regarding the war on terror.

What /does/ cause violence and how does that scale against videogames, ask how a videogame witchhunt can scale in comparison to these other factors? Terrorism isn't even close, videogames are ridiculously small.

For that matter, how many factors could contribute to violence aside from videogames? How can these factors be isolated and weighed? Attack opposing studies by pointing out the flaws in their assumption that they can isolate videogames as a cause and draw a strong conclusion regarding violent propensity in an experimental environment.

aww found this too late. Just handed my 16 pager for my computer ethics class, B+ paper.

Could of sent it to ya, haha. Kidding. Good topic tho, mine dealt with internet dependence. Hope yours went well

There is definately a correlation between playing splinter cell and creeping about steathily and interrogating people from behind.

Violence is ALWAYS a result of a cause. Violence cannot exist without that cause.
The cause can be ANYTHING that exists. But, real life will always be MORE violent than any game can be created.

I read a study that said that video games only reinforce a pre-existing condition. I.e. if a person is pre-disposed to violence, a violent video game will re-inforce that belief. I would take a look at the book "Grand Theft Childhood" for an interesting analysis of the effect of video games on people and personal choice. I would also be interested in a copy of the paper. maybe you could post a link?

video games can also instill a new confidence and false sense of power to people who were previously shy and timid. hell, i know its true for me to a degree.

From all my years of playing video games there is one thing I've learned: I am friggin amazing at dying. If anything, video games have had an adverse on me - I never want to go to war/fight and I don't want to harm anyone else because of what these games have shown me.

Some video games are as much a story as a full length novel is. People need to realize that games just provide stories, as do many other things.

kay guys, I turned in this paper over a week ago, didn't want this to turn into a controversial flame thread.

If anyone wanted to know, my target was lazy parents and useless implementation of parental controls when parent's arn't educated on use nor willing to enforce / realize what their children are playing. For shock value, we all know someone getting owned by CS botters is gonna cause some real life stress.

Make sure your thesis is strong.

A lot of professors look to your thesis and base a large ammt of their grade on that.

Content is important.

Violence is ALWAYS a result of a cause. Violence cannot exist without that cause.
The cause can be ANYTHING that exists. But, real life will always be MORE violent than any game can be created.

The cause is more likely to be something like extreme trauma in childhood like being abused by parents, abandonment issues, bullying, that sort of thing.

Violent people will always be violent it's in their nature, and different things will trigger violent acts, we shouldn't address the triggers such as violent movies/violent games/potplants/cheese/whatever, we should address the base cause which puts them into that mental state to begin with.

Back