Final Decision (1900gt+dfi crossfire mobo)

mrmodman

Limp Gawd
upgrading from msik8tneo2/x800xl agp

upgrading to DFI LanParty UT RDX200 CF-D
and SAPPHIRE X1900GT(open box at the "egg")

what do you guys think about this

also i have a logisys ps500ac 500wat psu, will i have any problems with this?

mrmodman said:
upgrading from msik8tneo2/x800xl agp

upgrading to DFI LanParty UT RDX200 CF-D
and SAPPHIRE X1900GT(open box at the "egg")

what do you guys think about this

also i have a logisys ps500ac 500wat psu, will i have any problems with this?

Dont get the RDX200 chipset. Buggy and crappy. Get the ATI 3200 chipset. DFI has a board with that chipset and heard good things about it. You are probably thinking that board because isnt it super cheap now and was posted in the Hot Deals section or something? But in all honestly you would be much better spending some extra cash for the 3200 chipset.

What processor are you getting?
Not a bad choice of upgrades, although people are generally underwhelmed by that board- I think the x8/x8 Crossfire is subpar.

I'm not sure about your PSU, don't know much about Logisys.

mavalpha...

He wants an ATI graphics card.. suggesting Nvidia chipsets isn't a great idea for system stability, as the drivers pretty much never get along well.

To: the OP

I suggest a 3200 chipset, and the 2 best I know of are the DFI board, and the Asus A8R32 MVP Deluxe (my board).

The MVP is a fantastic board, and while its a bit more expensive then the others, it's rock solid stable, has a TON of options for expansion, and has pleanty of features.

In any case I don't recomend mixing an ATI graphics card with Nvidia chipset.

That's quite the title you've got there ;)

As for the proposed rig, looks damn nice :D

mavalpha...

He wants an ATI graphics card.. suggesting Nvidia chipsets isn't a great idea for system stability, as the drivers pretty much never get along well.

To: the OP

I suggest a 3200 chipset, and the 2 best I know of are the DFI board, and the Asus A8R32 MVP Deluxe (my board).

The MVP is a fantastic board, and while its a bit more expensive then the others, it's rock solid stable, has a TON of options for expansion, and has pleanty of features.

In any case I don't recomend mixing an ATI graphics card with Nvidia chipset.

I beg to differ on this, I use an ati graphics card and use a nvidia chipset on my mobo no problem, however I have noticed a real lack of stability in more recent nvidia chipsets.

I have used nVidia chipsets with ATI graphics on many occasions, with no problems whatsoever. nTune may act up once in a while, but it does this on its own- nTune is absolute crap. There is nothing wrong with installing basic nForce drivers, and then using Catalysts on top of them.

Forget crossfire. I have a motherboard with ati3200 chipset and crossfire worked with my x1900xt + x1900xt crossfire mastercard. Pretty good 3DMark06 results, but not more frames in my games. Unless ATI supports a game, crossfire is worthless. And ATI is very slow in supporting games per driver and they do not give informations about supported games. I had no technical problems in activating crossfire but it was completely worthless for me. Better playing with a single card. So i sold my Radeons and got a Nvidia 8800GTX.
The crossfire Motherboard is okay, but for me crossfire is only a marketing gag.

The entire point of my post, was in the interest of a stable rig, and thus a less troublesome, and more enjoyable gaming or general computer experience. It's simple .. for the best stability.. keep ATI with ATI... and Nvidia with Nvidia. I never claimed Crossfire was the 'Holy Grail' to any problem, but by and large, ATI has far less stability issues then Nvidia.

As far as SLI is concerned... doesnt SLI require profiles for games to be usefull? Baging on ATI for not building support into its drivers for a game is a bit hypocritical

DoggyDaddi said:
The entire point of my post, was in the interest of a stable rig, and thus a less troublesome, and more enjoyable gaming or general computer experience. It's simple .. for the best stability.. keep ATI with ATI... and Nvidia with Nvidia. I never claimed Crossfire was the 'Holy Grail' to any problem, but by and large, ATI has far less stability issues then Nvidia.

As far as SLI is concerned... doesnt SLI require profiles for games to be usefull? Baging on ATI for not building support into its drivers for a game is a bit hypocritical

NO the problem with your post is its horse shit people have been using NVIDIA chipsets with ATI cards for a long time with absolutely no problems whatsoever. look at the number of people with Nforce 4 chipsets and X1900 cards its a very popular setup.

Hell there hasnt even been problems with running an ATI card with NVIDIA card in a long ass time theres even a huge thread about it here.

When you chime in and tell someone that X chipset dont play well with X card when its been proven over the last couple years it does people are not going to look to kindly on your bogus statement.

Actually.. I can't run an Nvidia card with my AIW 9600 pro, as I've tried with several cards.. but I guess I just happen to be that one in a hundred million random chance that can actually speak from experience rather then swearing like a 10 year old who just watched his first adult film and just can't help himself. Oh well...

In any case... I never said you can't run one with the other, I DID say that your facing a possible increase in stability problems by mixing the two. (shug)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled over-reaction.

pfunkman said:
NO the problem with your post is its horse shit people have been using NVIDIA chipsets with ATI cards for a long time with absolutely no problems whatsoever. look at the number of people with Nforce 4 chipsets and X1900 cards its a very popular setup.

Hell there hasnt even been problems with running an ATI card with NVIDIA card in a long ass time theres even a huge thread about it here.

When you chime in and tell someone that X chipset dont play well with X card when its been proven over the last couple years it does people are not going to look to kindly on your bogus statement.

DoggyDaddi said:
In any case... I never said you can't run one with the other, I DID say that your facing a possible increase in stability problems by mixing the two. (shug)

I cannot understand where the instability would come from, it's chalk and cheese (video card/mobo drivers)

tornadotsunamilife said:
I cannot understand where the instability would come from, it's chalk and cheese (video card/mobo drivers)

With my Set-up (and I'll admit, it didn't start till AFTER I installed SP-2), as soon as the ATI control panel started to load... BLINK!! BSOD

There was no way to get around it, and I sat for hours with the ATI guys, Microfiend guys, and Abit's techs. So I pulled the Nvidia card.. system booted right up no problem.

I still needed another output for my 3rd monitor, so I bought a 9250 and slapped it into a PCI slot. Not a fast card, but it works for browsing, my torrent panels, IM, E-mail, & Winamp.

Probably a rare config issue, but one I wasn't able to fix.. thus my point of potential stability issues. Issues that went away when I started keeping ATI with ATI.

nvidia chipsets run hot and have problems, I will never run another one again.
the xpress 3200 is a great chipset runs cool and overclocks very very well.

the mobo the OP mentioned however isn't good for stability and easy of use.

DoggyDaddi said:
Actually.. I can't run an Nvidia card with my AIW 9600 pro, as I've tried with several cards.. but I guess I just happen to be that one in a hundred million random chance that can actually speak from experience rather then swearing like a 10 year old who just watched his first adult film and just can't help himself. Oh well...

Im over reacting?? You have 1 stupid problem that can most likely be narrowed down to something insignificant like an old driver install causing problems. So what do you do... You come here telling peope that Nforce chipset drivers dont play well with ATI video card drivers give me a break...

Nforce has been playing well with ATI from the beginning the last thing Nvidia wants is some assinine lawsuit accusing them of screwing with ATIs cards...It would happen in a heartbeat.

Guys, let's leave the flaming out of this. The OP asked us a question, so try and keep this thread relevant. If you have a problem with someone else's post, keep it private and use PM's.

OP:
You'll be fine running an ATI card on an nVidia chipset. Yes, there are rare cases of incompatibility- but then again, there were also problems running 6800's on nForce3.
I'm quite comfortable recommending an nForce4 motherboard for your rig- it'll overclock well if you want it to, or it'll chug along happily at stock speeds if you don't.

Trying to run two different makes of video card on the same motherboard is a bit different than running an nVidia motherboard with an ATi video card (unless that's not the problem, but it sounds as if it is from how your post is worded). The drivers can and/or will cause problems, especially if both are doing/want to do the same thing. Motherboard chipset drivers shouldn't cause that sort of an issue with graphics card drivers.

I've run countless ATi cards on nVidia chipsets. There really was no other choice with an AMD system unless you don't mind messing with VIA or SIS.

DoggyDaddi said:

Back