Final check w/ you guys before i pull the trigger on my first intel rig

if your goin to get 2x512 sticks you might as well get some with tighter timings (4-4-4-x) also for like another $25 newegg has some nice 2gb kits like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
or some lower latency
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231087

if your looking to run 500mhz fsb (1000mhz on the RAM) for 3.5ghz CPU then you cant skimp on the ram. if you cant afford 2 gigs, get some 2x512mb sticks rated for more then PC6400 (800mhz) a 200mhz increase is too much for alot of the cheaper sticks.
you can also try posting in the memory subforum, i dont know what overclocks the best these days. i know geil is a favorite name and lots of people are using g.skil.

that board is pretty nice, if you arent partial to DFI and/or can tollerate an ASUS board, you should look at the P5B deluxe. most of the record overclocks are done on this board, its generaly stable at 500+fsb and its in the same price range and has the same chipset. i havnt seen many people using your board so i dunno how it handles higher FSBs

I would say that 2gb is about the standard now.... if you're not doing any gaming or anything maybe not, but even Vista does a lot better with 2gb over 1gb

You might be able to pick the E4400 up for a very small amount more.

The 10x multi gives you a bit more flexibility . . . I picked one up for ~140 a few days ago.

I would also recommend that you somehow get 2x1gb sticks of memory. It will not do your setup justice if you do not. Memory is way to cheap to skimp currently - you can get 2gb of quality pc6400 for just a bit over 100 dollars.

If you can't get 2gb now, Then just get a single 1gb stick. Yes, it won't be dual channel. But your upgrade possibilities are much better.

I would say that 2gb is about the standard now.... if you're not doing any gaming or anything maybe not, but even Vista does a lot better with 2gb over 1gb

yea i keep hearing that but i've never seen anything that says 2gb is better for any reason

no review anywhere says that

i'd say go for the Adata Vitesta. i've used them personally, and even on a shitty motherboard, i was able to hit 450FSB (900 mhz) on their PC2 6400 kit. Pretty good for 100 dollar RAM (2gb kit). otherwise, go Crucial Ballistix PC2 6400 (look arond the hot deals section, i heard you can get it for 135 now, wish it was up when i was looking for RAM).

motherboard seems good, CPU might hold you back though. E43's and E44's don't have as many capaciters on them, screws around with their quality. I'd recommend maybe an E6400, they've been clocking high. And 450*8 = 3600 Mhz. Pretty good.

i'm basically tryin to go to c2d for as little as possible between selling my opty 144 ultra-d and bh5 sticks

i'm not convinced that i need 2gb of ram yet since 2x512 of bh5 seems to be running everything just fine (i.e. no paging in any of the games i play)

Which games are you playing? newer games need it... I personally experienced it with Gothic 3, needs 2gb for sure, or nothing but stutters. Same goes for STALKER I believe...

Is there a reason that you want to push the FSB really high when you are looking at a CPU with a higher multiplier? You can reach 3.5Ghz by keeping the FSB under 400 and up the voltage on your memory and really make your timings aggressive.

You can test it out but you will get pretty similar performance - AND you would be using a FSB that is inline with what that board is supposed to be running.

Is there a reason that you want to push the FSB really high when you are looking at a CPU with a higher multiplier? You can reach 3.5Ghz by keeping the FSB under 400 and up the voltage on your memory and really make your timings aggressive.

You can test it out but you will get pretty similar performance - AND you would be using a FSB that is inline with what that board is supposed to be running.

well my thought pattern was ...

ok cool i'll get a 4300 and it will be cheap to clock it up bec 800mhz etc...

then i was thinking well what is the fun in running the mem at stock speeds

then i thought well if i droped the multi i could overclock the ram and the fsb and the whole thing would be faster

same reason i unlocked my xp2100+ long ago ... :D

Back