Files saved from Macs don't have ext.'s when read on Win. Need sftwre 2 read & convrt

Hey there...ok...I have some files that are saved from the Macs at school...when I take them home to my PC (Win) they don't have the extensions on them...when I originally save something from Windows and take it to a Mac and modify and save it then take it back to my PC it still has the extension and keeps it since it was added by Windows...

So I am wondering something...is there a program for Windows that recognizes Mac files and andds the extensions back??? I hate when I start work on some things at school and have to add the extensions to all the stuff I created when I take it back home...my guess is the Macs store the extensions or what the file opens up with or whatever in their "._(filename)" files...that's annoying too...for every file you have another is created with a "._"...

Any help on this??? THANX
C'YA :cool:

I've never had that problem. If you save it as a "xxx" type document it doesn't matter if you have the software that created it on both Mac and PC (or software that can read the format) so I don't know how/what is going on with your situation.

BTW my experience is with using Word (forgot which version but it's on OS X) on a Mac and OpenOffice on my PC.

Metallica_Band said:
So I am wondering something...is there a program for Windows that recognizes Mac files and andds the extensions back??? I hate when I start work on some things at school and have to add the extensions to all the stuff I created when I take it back home...my guess is the Macs store the extensions or what the file opens up with or whatever in their "._(filename)" files...that's annoying too...for every file you have another is created with a "._"...

I don't know if there's a program for that, but if you're going to work on things at school that you know you're going to work on at home as well, the simplest thing is to just save them with PC extensions on the Mac in the first place. I got into that habit when I was doing a lot of cross-platform work. ;)

That "annoying" file you are referring to is called a resource fork and, yes, it does store info on the program that created it. A lot of the "look and feel" type of Mac stuff like icons and menu/window styles are also stored in "resources". There was an old program (I'm sure it's still out there in some incarnation or other) I used to use called ResEdit that let you edit a program's resources (duh!). It was fun to customize your menus and the like. When we went to Win95 at work I was sadly disappointed to find that RegEdit wasn't the PC equivalent of ResEdit. :(

Lethal said:
I don't know if there's a program for that, but if you're going to work on things at school that you know you're going to work on at home as well, the simplest thing is to just save them with PC extensions on the Mac in the first place. I got into that habit when I was doing a lot of cross-platform work. ;)
I would if I KNEW the extensions...I work on a lot of things...can't memorize all the extensions in the world...damn Macs...:mad:

Back