Files are Listed Backwards (Help Please)

myndal

n00b
I am using Windows XP Professional on a P4 2.6 machine.

If I browse my computer using windows explorer everything is fine. The files are listed in alphabetical order.

However, if I run a program that needs to open/save a file (like Word or Photoshop) then all of my files are listed in reverse order (Z to A). I tried right-clicking on the folder and displaying the files by name. But that is only temporary, the next program I open reverts to the problem.

So, I figured this was spyware or a virus. I've run my Ad-Aware, Spy Bot, Spy Sweeper, the new MS Beta program, Hi-Jack this, Trend Micro House Call, and Norton and I'm not finding anything.

I'm thinking that somewhere in my settings, there is a flag of some sort that was switched? I'm just not sure.

Any suggestions or comments? If I need to re-explain for clarity, please let me know.

lol. that has to be one of the weirdest problems that i have heard of so far..

But sorry, cant help you, i have no idea...

reisntall windows :p

It is a freaking weird problem because my computer runs fine outside of that issue.

Reinstalling Windows will be the LAST option. I might have to learn to just deal with it?

::sigh::

I'm sure that I accidentally clicked on a popup or something and some stupid script messed with the Windows settings somewhere, I was hoping someone would know about these settings? :confused:

I know exactly what you mean. You did a good job describing it, so I found this solution (or in her case it worked for her).

http://www.cc-tips.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=37

Finally, I ran across a tip that contained the solution. As it turns out, you can force Windows to remember the file listing settings. I apparently did this accidentally at some point. Here’s what you do: go into Windows Explorer and open a folder such as My Documents. Now choose View|Details. Along the top of the file listing area, you see Name, Type, Size, Modified. If you click any one of these, it will change how your files are sorted in the list. For example, you click Modified to sort your files by the date they were modified.

Now...here’s the part that made Windows save this sorting information everywhere. Hold down the Ctrl key and click the X in the upper right-hand corner of the Window to close it. Now whenever you run a Windows application that uses the File Open, Save, or Save As dialog boxes, the files are listed in Date Modified order rather than Alphabetically.

THANK YOU.

Actually, I read the first part of the solution elsewhere as well; (about setting the default view) but, did not find that CTRL-<CLOSE> statement before.

I will definately try that when I get home from work. Thank you.

Back