File Timestamps Change by 6hours on File Copy

SamirD

Supreme [H]ardness
I've seen this happen for better part of a decade now (at least since 2015) and am really curious as to the root cause explanation because I can't think of a single reason in theory that it should be happening.

The scenario is 2x FAT32 drives connected to 2x xp computers at the end of an IPsec tunnel. Copy a file from one end to the other and the timestamps look the same from the source computer. Physically take the source drive and connect it to the destination computer and compare the file with the destination drive and the timestamp is off exactly 6 hours. Same timezone on both computers, so no funny business there. Same dst settings on both systems, so can't be that either. Makes no sense since both systems are basically twins and the drives are nothing special either.

What else can cause the time to shift like this? I've seen it happen over a couple of different IPsec tunnels being used as the source and it just bugs me. The files compare properly so there's nothing different between the source and destination file other than that 6hrs difference in the timestamp.

Any ideas welcome. This one just puzzles me. Hoping someone has seen this and recognizes it.

My guess would be the drive being connected as a data drive in the PC is registering time different than an OS drive. Probably reverting to UTC.

My guess would be the drive being connected as a data drive in the PC is registering time different than an OS drive. Probably reverting to UTC.

My guess too. Op you in the US central time zone, 6 off of UTC?

The timestamp should be "this many ticks after epoc," so if you are seeing a difference from one machine to the other, it's either that the time is set differently on one of the machines, or it's set the same but it's reporting a different time to your tunnel (or the computer accessing the device through the tunnel).

Or, if your ipsec tunnel's server reports it's time as well, and that is incorrect, then that could cause the clients to translate timestamps wrong...maybe?

This is typically only applicable to NTFS since FAT32 only remembers the DST bit, but otherwise just writes the timestamp like the old DOS days which didn't care about the time zone.

My guess too. Op you in the US central time zone, 6 off of UTC?
Hmmm...it is central time. But this shouldn't be the case since files written locally have the right time stamp...wait a second--I need to confirm that those destination systems also have their time zone set to central, which I thought they did. This could be the issue for sure. Thank you for the idea!

Just confirmed destination systems are also set to central time zone.

Any other ideas?

Back