File Sharing with Vista

Scnd

n00b
I'm trying to share files, really an entire hard drive and a printer between two computers. For the application, I need to run a program from one computer on a laptop by remote.

All in all it should be pretty simple stuff. I share C, It appears in the network under the computer. I'm having a problem when trying to access the file by remote tho. I'm denied access and it gives me a box

"\\Computer1\C is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this network to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied"

I dont know how to enable access to the file from the other computer.

Help?
Thanks
-Scnd

I can only provide non-specifics since I don't have Vista here, but in XP I am pretty sure you are able to share AND require logon credentials (of some kind) in order to access certain items.

A few things to check:

1) On the hosting machine, the account that is attempting to share the hard drive and printer--is it Administrator, or a limited user of some type? Not sure if this matters, but can't hurt to check.
2) When connecting to the hosting machine from the remote machine does a logon/credentials page appear asking you to enter information? If so what info are you entering?
3) When using the "Sharing" tab, what options are you selecting to share the drive?

Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction. This past weekend I was able to get my uncle's laptop (Vista) and my aunt's laptop (XP Pro) to connect to their printer in their computer room (XP Pro). I know it's possible!

Back