File sharing question.

AeriaGloris

Limp Gawd
I live in a house with 3 other guys and we all have pcs connected to a router. I have 2 pcs in my room and i want to be able to share files between these 2 pcs over the network, without making them available to everyone else. What's the easiest way to do this?

Both pcs are running xp pro.

when you create your share just apply permissions so that your user IDs have permission and theirs do not. very simple

You will probably want to disable simple file sharing. (my computers -> tools -> options -> advanced -> checkbox: Use Simple File Sharing. (uncheck it))

Then just make sure you use the same username/password on both PC's and you can create shortcuts on the desktop of each PC like this:

(I'll make up IP addresses since I don't know yours)
PC1: 192.168.1.85
PC2: 192.168.1.86

On the desktop of PC1, right click the desktop -> new -> shortcut -> \\192.168.1.86\c$

On the desktop of PC2, right click the desktop -> new -> shortcut -> \\192.168.1.85\c$

Plenty more detail: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Beyond disabling simple file sharing and locking down with NTFS permissions (The security tab on the folder, file or volume) you can also hide the shares for a bit more security. Just add $ to the end of the share.

Back