File-Sharing Doesn’t Hurt Box Office Revenue

Anyone that says movie tickets are too expensive are full of it. You can easily get movie tickets for 5-8 dollars just about anywhere. Just go to the first showing of the day alot of theaters have a special for early showings that is even lower price that matinee.

Ok, sure. Let's say I take my wife to a movie. That's $16 on the high side of your example. Add gas ($10). Up to $26. Even if no food or drinks, $26 for a shitty Adam Sandler movie is WAY too much. I'd pay it for Man of Steel or X-Men or Avengers or some other great movie. But, there is just too crap out there. There are some movies that are great in the theater. And, I'll pay. But, with rising prices comes higher expectations for the movies. I just can't find the value in a shitty movie. Take the whole family, and it's close to $75 with food, drink, tickets, gas. Imagine taking the whole family to Jack and Jill (have to pick on Sandler...). How would you feel?

It's not so much the cost. It's the value. I'm just not seeing it so much these days. If I were single, and just went myself while I'm in town, I'd watch a lot more. But, now it's more of an event than just a fun way to waste a few hours. When it was just me, I was always ready to watch a movie. In town, ready to head home, but want something else to do? Pull into the theater and watch a movie. Now, it takes planning and scheduling. Fuck, I'm an adult now. :eek:

Ok, sure. Let's say I take my wife to a movie. That's $16 on the high side of your example. Add gas ($10). Up to $26. Even if no food or drinks, $26 for a shitty Adam Sandler movie is WAY too much. I'd pay it for Man of Steel or X-Men or Avengers or some other great movie. But, there is just too crap out there. There are some movies that are great in the theater. And, I'll pay. But, with rising prices comes higher expectations for the movies. I just can't find the value in a shitty movie. Take the whole family, and it's close to $75 with food, drink, tickets, gas. Imagine taking the whole family to Jack and Jill (have to pick on Sandler...). How would you feel?

It's not so much the cost. It's the value. I'm just not seeing it so much these days. If I were single, and just went myself while I'm in town, I'd watch a lot more. But, now it's more of an event than just a fun way to waste a few hours. When it was just me, I was always ready to watch a movie. In town, ready to head home, but want something else to do? Pull into the theater and watch a movie. Now, it takes planning and scheduling. Fuck, I'm an adult now. :eek:

+1

While the misses and I would be able to pay for any movies we want to go to. We don't see value in comdies or even dramas... The theater is about 3D, Action, sound. Granded comedies aren't terrible in the theater because it is fun to laugh with an audience, but not worth todays prices.

Anyone that says movie tickets are too expensive are full of it. You can easily get movie tickets for 5-8 dollars just about anywhere. Just go to the first showing of the day alot of theaters have a special for early showings that is even lower price that matinee.

I just checked and $9.50 is the cheapest possible ticket that I can find at a theater I usually go to. That's for first showing, Adult Matinee, no 3D or IMAX or whatnot. The prices just go up from there.

...ahhh, if only I could pirate my Pot. :p

*looks at last bud of the month, that'll only last today* :(

Anyways, on topic, the usual reply, if it werent for piracy they wouldnt make as much money as they do, the pirates are the "Here, have a free sample and tell your friends about it", then some friend or two will actually buy it, which they wouldnt have if you hadnt told them about it.

It's a symbiant relationship, two dissimilar parasites feasting on eachother.
This is an interesting thought, but I think you could take it a step further.

Pirates of movies may well pirate other media, like their TV shows.
Of course if they pirate their TV shows, they are probably missing most of the advertisements for upcoming movies.
If our hypothetical pirate also uses an online adblocker they may not even know your movie exists until it shows up at one of the media outlets our hypothetical pirate regularly visits.
Thus the only way said media consumer would ever know about your movie is through piracy.

Back