File-Sharers Buy 30% More Music Than Non-P2P Peers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Raise your hand if this comes as a surprise to you.

One of the most comprehensive studies into media sharing and consumption habits in the United States and Germany reveals that file-sharers buy 30% more music than their non-sharing counterparts. The result confirms that file-sharers are actually the music industry’s best customers. In addition, the research reveals that contrary to popular belief, offline “copying” is far more prevalent than online music piracy.

ppl pirate stuff they like, so ppl buy stuff they like too.

the main problem is most people would like a better deal on what they buy in the first place and not have to pay full retail price.

I have a friend that uses p2p to demo games and music.
If he likes the product he goes out and buys it.
Also sometimes its easier to dl a 720p copy of a movie than rip it to your computer.

Not surprising to me at all...I buy way more music/movies/games than any of my friends, while downloading way more than they do as well.

I'm surprised. But I don't know anyone who buys music anymore. I know I haven't since tool's 10,000 days in 2005....and even that album was only half as good as their previous.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of music being made today blows. Especially this old band continuing to release music you'd think years of experience would help them improve and write better music.....Here is looking at you No doubt, Offspring, Linkin Park, Green day, 311,incubus, ect.... your new shit sucks you don't deserve a dime.

Piracy works. It's another form of marketing and advertising and the morons at the **aa's don't even care. Idiots.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of music being made today blows. Especially this old band continuing to release music you'd think years of experience would help them improve and write better music.....Here is looking at you No doubt, Offspring, Linkin Park, Green day, 311,incubus, ect.....

I totally agree.

I follow the trend of not buying and also not downloading. I don't want to get caught and fined for downloading crappy music and I don't download crappy music to try it and possibly buy it. I really just avoid the whole thing.

I'm surprised. But I don't know anyone who buys music anymore. I know I haven't since tool's 10,000 days in 2005....and even that album was only half as good as their previous.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of music being made today blows. Especially this old band continuing to release music you'd think years of experience would help them improve and write better music.....Here is looking at you No doubt, Offspring, Linkin Park, Green day, 311,incubus, ect.... your new shit sucks you don't deserve a dime.

Maybe your taste in music is just getting better. Though, you'd stop liking their old stuff too, if that were the case :p

I think Incubus still makes damn good music...their style just changes, which I can't complain about. "If not now, when?" was a damn good album! One of their best IMHO. As far as the rest of the bands you mentioned...yeah, they went shitty...especially 311...so sad.

But I do agree with you...most of the music I listen to has nothing to do with the "popular" bands of the past 5-6 years at the least.

Mostly radio now, its so readily available on so many sources.

Pirating exposes you to more content, thus broadens your selection of possible purchases.

MPAA/RIAA will somehow discredit that study so they can still sue their customers for millions. :mad:

I think Incubus still makes damn good music...their style just changes, which I can't complain about. "If not now, when?" was a damn good album! One of their best IMHO. As far as the rest of the bands you mentioned...yeah, they went shitty...especially 311...so sad.

But I do agree with you...most of the music I listen to has nothing to do with the "popular" bands of the past 5-6 years at the least.

True

Well my only issue with Incubus is the rebranded/style change. They lost that entire violent edge that was in their earlier stuff like pardon me and anna molly. Linkin park is even worse, because unlike incubus, this entire band revolved around that violent sound the rest of the music is the most basic and simplistic instrumentals were incubus lost the edge but maintain and even enhanced the instrumental talent......I only gave the new album 1 listen too and it was too mellow for me.

Maybe I don't have enough frame of reference or experiences to know if this is just a modern trend of bands degrading in quality through time or weather it has always been this way, but I do know that from Nocturne no.1 to No.18 Chopin either improved or maintained his quality.

Its possible that poverty and strife fuel creativity so when these bands become successful they lose their drive and reason to continue to improve.....and along the same lines they should lose their ability to profit off of their work.

I'll buy what I like, and I've been introduced to a lot of really awesome music through other means, but what about the music I don't care for? Those are what the RIAA/MPAA attacks. Those, to them, are lost sales. Because before the Internet craze, more people would buy shitty albums and have no recourse. Now, the consumer can try and not like it and not buy it. Artists are forced to do better or die.

Also, depending on the method, when you download material you already own (720P/1080P rips) you could also be uploading the file, which is what pisses off the RIAA/MPAA. You're not just taking, you're distributing.

I totally agree.

I follow the trend of not buying and also not downloading. I don't want to get caught and fined for downloading crappy music and I don't download crappy music to try it and possibly buy it. I really just avoid the whole thing.
You get ripped you off either way. :mad:

Not the least bit surprising. People like to "try" before they buy. Not everyone likes dropping lots of hard earned money on something that will turn out to be shit when they have another option.

Most people are honest enough as well and will buy something that they end up really liking to support the company/individual/group that made it.

Youtube is my sole source of music now.
I am a pirate! I don't pay for my music!

Piracy works. It's another form of marketing and advertising and the morons at the **aa's don't even care. Idiots.

I agree.

Nowadays, I've resorted to looking for independent and not-so-famous musicians and artists that aren't linked to a big name label. They make music because they love doing it and their fans like what these music artists release. And, generally these are very good music. They're better than most of the stuff I hear on the radio nowadays. Miki Minaj? Lady Ga-ga? That ain't music to me, I'm sorry, and are just another incomprehensible, repetitive dribble and nonsense that spits out of your local pop and rap music station.

The stuff on the radio? I listen to less radio now than ten years ago. Heck, Country music today isn't the same as it was ten, twenty or even thirty years ago. And, a lot of today's Country tends to cross genres like pop or rock music. I believe the last Country music artists I've stuck to for a long time has been The Dixie Chicks and Garth Brooks.

Have I downloaded music off P2P sites? Yes, but it's a way for me to preview music or get music I can't even get access to, or their are too many restrictions in place like being unavailable for purchase in the US. Other times it's cost-- maybe I only like a few tracks but should I really spend $10 to $15 for an album if I only like one or two tracks? And, if I buy music, most of the music I buy now is from Amazon and iTunes. I listen to a track or two and may end up buying the entire album (or albums) of that same artist or band. Youtube has, also, been a great source for me to find good music and artists as well. I've discovered a lot of good musicians on Youtube in the last few years already. And, the music videos that get posted by both fans and official music labels also helps me decide is worth buying their music. That, or I just rip them to MP3s.

The problem nowadays is that music, especially movies, requires several things for me before I buy it:
  1. Enjoyability - Is it good to listen to? To watch?
  2. Accessibility - Will I have to go through hoops to listen or watch it? Are their content restrictions in place because I can't buy/listen to music/movies from another country online?
  3. Affordability - Is it at a good price that doesn't rape my wallet?

I'm not surprised, you should see the size of my bluray collection.

Dude if they sold high quality digital copies of 1080p movies......My library would be HUGE....but they don't sell them......My library of digital 1080p movies is still huge though:D

My wife owns 7 seasons of a TV show she enjoy's watching on DVD, and instead of ripping it for mobile enjoyment (which is a hassle due to the episodes being back-to-back in the main "movie" track of the dvds) I just downloaded it instead.

I'd be buying more movies and shows off of Google Play if they removed the quality restrictions. Why is 480p $12.99 and 720/1080p 14.99? What happens when it's released in 4k?

Just sell me a license to view the movie in any format, upgrade it as we go (hell, my $.99 applications update all the time) and I'll buy into the content. Otherwise, I'll just stick to physical, which at least has some value after it's used/updated.

This vindicated so many of my posts regarding piracy on this very forum. Thank you facts, for proving reason represents reality.

I'm surprised. But I don't know anyone who buys music anymore.
I do, including concerts, expensive limited editions, etc.
And guess what? I'm a huge pirate; I do more than downloading, I upload new content and give money to pirate communities.
I have zero bluray though, due to DRM.

I don't want to get caught and fined for downloading crappy music and I don't download crappy music to try it and possibly buy it. I really just avoid the whole thing.

Pretty much where I've ended up. I used to buy music. Now? I don't want to D/L and get fined and I don't want to buy something I think I like to find out I wasted money. So I just listen to my old stuff or stream a local radio station.

I didn't consciously make this decision, it just kinda happened. I suppose the RIAA made things so painful to own that I just stopped buying anything new.

^Good for you guys.

But in the RIAA's eyes you're probably still a pirate. But who cares about people who makes up facts for their agenda, and ,,, from the news is seemingly currently losing support.

File-Sharers Buy 30% More Music Than Non-P2P Peers

.....But if file sharing somehow wasn't around, that same sample of people would buy more than 30% more music than the other people. No?

This just in pirates lie about how much music they buy. Who buys music anymore?

Anyone that looks at this study and says "See piracy sells" is ignoring the big picture entirely. The people pirating and buying music are enthusiasts so of course they will go out of their way and buy or pirate what they want to hear. Meanwhile the majority of people are just fine with the radio/sattelite radio, pandora etc.

Its not that piracy sells or that pirates are the "music industries best customers" its that they are just about the only customers left.

Like bobsaget said those same people that must have a digital copy of their music would still be just as likely to buy a hard copy if file sharing ceased to exist today.

These studies are a farce.

That said the way the movie and music industry behaves i have no problem with piracy. Prices are through the roof and most of the money is going to the wrong people anyway so fuck them.

I am not totally sanguine about these results:

A - they won't necessarily apply to other media (file sharers in movies and games are probably not the primary purchasers of those products); also does this hold true for albums or just songs

B - did they actually verify the numbers people gave them ... people can lie ... with the ladder of inference effects you sometimes overestimate what you have purchased versus pirated

C - why only these two options for music ... why not compare people who use streaming services or other legal means of distribution and see what their purchasing habits are ... if they are also high purchasers then a study favoring file sharing only is just trying to foster a particular agenda and not trying to make an accurate study of societal purchasing habits

D - both of these countries are developed countries with high personal income ... do these results also hold up in other countries ... and what percentage of total file sharing and purchasing do the US and Germany constitute ... if they are a small percentage then this is also not statistically significant data

I tend to subscribe to the Benjamin Disraeli school of thinking most of the time, "There are three kinds of lies ... Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics" :D

Why this is probably true is because people downloading music are the ones constantly exposed to it. The more exposure you get to something the more important a thing it will be to you. So you will turn from some person who occasionally buys $20 albums, to a music collector who knows about a wider range of acts.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of music being made today blows.

There's more music being made than ever before. If you dont find music by the old bands you like, theres a pile more out there, you just aren't looking hard enough! :D

No doubt, Offspring, Linkin Park, Green day, 311,incubus, ect.... your shit sucks you don't deserve a dime.

FTFY. :p

There's more music being made than ever before. If you dont find music by the old bands you like, theres a pile more out there, you just aren't looking hard enough! :D

I've looked pretty hard and have come out empty handed. I'll take 3 new progressive rock group's please that are comparable to something along the lines of King Crimson, tool, or The Mars Volta.

After that I'd like some new soloist classical that is along the lines of Chopin mixed with Bach.

Finishing it off I'd like an American version of Versailles -Philharmonic Quintet with 2 bad ass guitarist.

Take a look at your guys itunes library, sort by stats and I bet you will find that you listen to a number of songs over and over. When you notice this the only recourse is to spend your time trying to find more and more music. The problem is is no one wants to or has time do so.

Therefore with the rise of mobile phones, the audio quality and the integration with cars you are going to see more Pandoras. Look there is spotify, iheartradio, pandora etc. And guess what? none of them really cost money more than just a one time fee.

Huge blow to Sirus. This is the future.

.....But if file sharing somehow wasn't around, that same sample of people would buy more than 30% more music than the other people. No?

No. File sharing makes them media addicts. Without file sharing they would just buy less like the average person.

This just in pirates lie about how much music they buy. Who buys music anymore?

If by buying music who mean who buys CDs anymore, I agree. But don't forget people are buying digital music, often from Apple (iTunes), Amazon, and Google, who are making tons of $ by selling digital music.

If by buying music who mean who buys CDs anymore, I agree. But don't forget people are buying digital music, often from Apple (iTunes), Amazon, and Google, who are making tons of $ by selling digital music.

People buying digital music make up less than a third of all music sales.

Songs I pirate get put in a folder. Then they are bought legit and moved to a different folder as itunes and amazon gift cards are given to me. So every few months I'm caught up.

Back