File share attributes +rhs??

dgingeri

2[H]4U
OK, so I'm moving a file share from one server to another to update to new hardware (actually P2V migration, but pretty much same thing) and came across a weird situation. The folder for the file share was set with the attributes Read Only, Hidden, and System on. This caused all sorts of issues with the robocopy, as you can probably imagine, as a large portion of the subfolders and files also had these attributes. Ever weirder was the that files that wouldn't copy with robocopy were able to seemingly copy using Windows Explorer, but then dropped out of existence shortly afterward. (The drive showed 100GB of free space at 11:00, and then 126GB of free space at midnight.) During my troubleshooting, I turned the attributes off and reran the robocopy, and everything copied over, but too late for my maintenance window. I ended up having to re-enable the old files share and let the users use it for the next week, until I can try again next week.

My question is: Has anyone here ever heard of a file share intentionally being set to these attributes, and why? I'm at a complete loss on it.

Back