File organization and management in an SSD world

biggles

2[H]4U
Many computer systems these days have a dual drive config: a small ssd with OS and larger mechanical drive for "other".

It has taken me a while to determine how to organize the "other" files between drives.

Example, I have an MSI laptop with a 128 gb nvme ssd. Stores the OS, drivers, frequently used programs other than games (web browsers, VLC media player, MS Office, benchmarking programs, etc). The mechanical drive stores games, large data files (video for example). Also, I have started putting my docs, my pics, downloads, my music, etc on the mechanical drive. Which is not the default drive, but it makes OS reinstalls easier when these files are not stored on the system drive.

Looking for advice for experienced computer users on the smart way to organize files between ssd's and mechanical drives. Someday perhaps we will go back to having a large, single hard drive like in the old days to store all files. In the meantime, what is an intelligent way to manage file storage?

There are a ton of different options out there around preference and what you need to install. I don't think I have had just one drive in my PC since....99 / 00. Started splitting my stuff out for performance gains back then and never looked back.

If your OS drive is your only SSD then applications and things that benefit from the high read / writes would be good candidates to put on the SSD.
Files and large applications that may not see regular benefit from the SSD are better on the HDD.

Depends on the size of your SSD's remaining space and what applications, games or tools you plan to install.

I have an OS SSD for drivers & the OS, Core programs SSD (Adobe, utilities, applications (Office) browsers and so on), gaming SSD, recording drive, cache drive for said recordings and premiere cache and a temp dump drive for downloaded files from the internet (reassigned downloads and my documents directories here) or temporary things I need locally. I still have some larger or games that wont benefit from my SSD on the dump drive which used to be my gaming drive.. No point in migrating them really as when I get bored with them they will be deleted. Everything permanent or which requires redundancy goes into my NAS.

Back