File name for Z170 deluxe BIOS flashback?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone know what the .CAP is supposed to be named to get the flashback to work? The manual helpfully tells me that BIOS flashback is only used for backing up a BIOS from the web, and there doesn't seem to be a web page for it like all of the other chipsets.

my board has the following instructions but its a Ranger

To use USB BIOS Flashback:
1. Download the latest BIOS file from the ASUS website.
2. Extract and rename the BIOS image file to M8R.CAP.
3.Copy M8R.CAP to the root directory of your USB storage device.
4.Turn off the system and connect the USB storage device to the USB BIOS Flashback port.
5.Press the USB BIOS Flashback button.

Just did the bios flashback yesterday as my RAM wasnt supported by the stock bios.
Filename was Z170D.CAP and usb stick was formatted FAT32 I think. Also the port has to be right, its the green one under one of the ethernets.

On the Z87 Pro, the BIOS also wouldn't flash/back if it was using a USB3.0 device for some reason. I was using a Sandisk Extreme 3.0. Had to use a USB2 device.

Probably has changed in the 2 generations since, but just throwing this out there.

Just did the bios flashback yesterday as my RAM wasnt supported by the stock bios.
Filename was Z170D.CAP and usb stick was formatted FAT32 I think. Also the port has to be right, its the green one under one of the ethernets.

Yeah, this is the right file name. It wouldn't work for me with 0801 but with 0701 it worked fine eventually.

for anyone having issues with BIOS names. asus have a utility called "Bios renamer for USB Bios flashback and crashfree BIOS" that utility will select the right .CAP name for every motherboard BIOS, can be downloaded in the download section of each mobo..

Back