File Associations

Excavator

Gawd
Vista x64.

I goofed and associated .THM files with photoshop.
Originally .THM files had nothing associated with them, like system file that has the icon that looks like a piece of paper with one corner folded over.

How do I associate .THM files with nothing? Like it was before.

(Sorry if this may seem condescending, I don't mean it that way. I just don't know how technical you are. I am used to dealing with users that pretty much know nothing.)

Open Control Panel

In the new view:
Click Programs
Click the link next to Default Programs that says "Make a file type always open in a specific program"
Scroll down to find the extension to change
Double click the extension
In the box that pops up, click the plus near the far right side
select the program you want to use to open the file

In the Classic view of Control Panel:
Double Click the Default Programs icon
Click the link that says "Associate a file type..."
Scroll down to find the extension to change
Double click the extension
In the box that pops up, click the plus near the far right side
select the program you want to use to open the file

(Sorry if this may seem condescending, I don't mean it that way. I just don't know how technical you are. I am used to dealing with users that pretty much know nothing.)

Thanks for the quick reply and no worries about your answer being very specific.

I have been to the file association menu and the problem is that it does not offer the choice of associating a file with nothing. It wants me to pick a program to associate it with and that's not how the file was originially.

OK. Well, with that, you probably have to hack the registry. remove the entry from the HKey_Classes_root and reboot.

Don't do this if you have any doubts about editing the registry. I'm confident about it because I know how to bring things back if they go wrong, but if you don't know how to restore the registry if it no longer boots, then don't do it.

Hello again dgingeri,
Deleted .THM from HKey_Classes_Root and rebooted but the filetype is still associated with a program.

Maybe I should delete all instances of .THM from the registry?

I had to root through the registry and remove Quicktime 1.0 manually on a few systems at this one job I had. It was so not fun. It took me 3 tries, with system restore between each attempt, to get the right entries.

There are probably 3-4 entries having to do with the file association. You have to be careful not to remove entries having to do with something else while doing this. If you have system restore disabled, enable it and create a restore point before doing this. Also, if it fails to reboot, get knowledgable about the "last known good configuration" abilities of Vista.

Back