Figured some of the old timers would appreciate this workhorse

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
I've been getting nostalgic for some of my old hardware lately. I would love to have a Radeon 9500 Pro, Athlon XP 3000+, Pentium 4 3.0C, or 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird. Most of those go for prices that are stupidly high on ebay. But, I found a guy selling Q6600 for $9 shipped and figured I'd scoop it up. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I would love to make a display in my basement or something, or maybe I'll make a keychain, who knows. But seeing it brought back memories of overclocking these to 3.2 - 3.6. they were the backbone of the mighty [H]orde for a good while.

Attachments

• 20210426_073332.jpg
    20210426_073332.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 0
I feel ya! I got the bug a few years ago and picked up an ex workstation proc for $12 along with 4x2gb elpida ddr2 modules($2 ea) to build a retro rig. What i really wanted was to rebuild my old q6700/780i/8800gtx sli rig but couldnt find a mb.
It was nice to mess with some c2q gear again anyhow. Have fun!

ive got one of those in a pile of intel chips on my desk...
What else ya got?

I found L5640s are cheap on ebay too. Around $10. I'm tempted.

Those things were a blast for a while. Boy, if only I could find an evga SR-2. They're not even on ebay. Maybe they all broke.

What else ya got?

I found L5640s are cheap on ebay too. Around $10. I'm tempted.

Those things were a blast for a while. Boy, if only I could find an evga SR-2. They're not even on ebay. Maybe they all broke.
ive got an e7400, e8400, the c2q and a 2600 sitting in a stack on my desk. only mobos i have are from the e chips and the 2600 but i suspect its dead.

I ran one of these for many years and it did quite a bit of FAH work. I also had one of the "GO" stepping

Heh, I just finally retired my last Q6600. Still have three of the things, one working socket 775 motherboard and probably a second working motherboard. Working motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3 board with the 965p chipset and the probably working board is an Abit IP35 with the P35 chipset.

I've been getting nostalgic for some of my old hardware lately. I would love to have a Radeon 9500 Pro, Athlon XP 3000+, Pentium 4 3.0C, or 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird. Most of those go for prices that are stupidly high on ebay. But, I found a guy selling Q6600 for $9 shipped and figured I'd scoop it up. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I would love to make a display in my basement or something, or maybe I'll make a keychain, who knows. But seeing it brought back memories of overclocking these to 3.2 - 3.6. they were the backbone of the mighty [H]orde for a good while.
Kool jebo. I've got a Q6600 G0 that folded hard for the horde until the Maximus Formula mobo went wonky, still have the 1066 DDR2 and a socket 775 water cooler as well. No mobo for it now. Have a 1090T too that did alot of folding with a mobo but its 1000km away in storage atm but I might revive it. Plenty of other old stuff too. Keep it up

All this 775 talk made me nostalgic and to get my old 775 rig up and running again. I bought it back in 2008 and it served me well until I replaced it in 2013. I got a Gigabyte X48-DQ6 board with a 8400 C2D. Originally ran Windows XP on it with 4 gigs of corsair memory, eventually upgraded to Windows 7 and added another 4 gigs of memory as it could actually use it unlike windows XP. I have since bought a QX9650 as an upgrade once I get it up and running.

Attachments

• 20210426_231313.jpg
    20210426_231313.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210426_231324.jpg
    20210426_231324.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210426_231357.jpg
    20210426_231357.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 0
And then there are the high-end Xeons which can basically all be modded to work on regular 775 board (there are guys who mod bioses if need be for a fee).

I've got a Q6600 still plugged into a MoBo on the shelf in the basement. XD

What is that behemoth CPU on the top/right? Pentium Pro? I don't remember them as being that big.

Man, Id love to have a bag of cpus like that, I have a lot but no where near that many.

Man, Id love to have a bag of cpus like that, I have a lot but no where near that many.
looks like he just grabbed the cpu out of every garbage system he ever saw. otherwise they wouldnt be loose in a bag/box. bet he was goin for the gold....

looks like he just grabbed the cpu out of every garbage system he ever saw. otherwise they wouldnt be loose in a bag/box. bet he was goin for the gold....
Kind of yes. About 10 years ago, I had stored up (packratted) enough old hardware that it was filling like 2 garages, 3 bedrooms and half my livingroom. Since then I have recycled most of it. And yes I was saving the RAM and CPU's for Gold pricing when I was ready for a large enough cash in. The ceramic CPU's are worth the most because there is a lot more gold in them. For a while, I was wanting to collect one of each CPU I came across but decided that nostalgia just wasn't worth it.

You were supposed to make a side business of selling sc0tty8 tables!

Speaking of socket 775 quads, my backup plex server had a large enough pop to rattle the rack. Just swapped the psu for another junker discard to see if she lives. Good news is that I have her twin sitting in a box if I need her....lol.
PXL_20210428_224841313.jpg

PXL_20210428_224847110.jpg

There are so many old systems I wish I still had for fun and nostalgia. Mostly duallies and weird stuff. My top ones would probably be

Abit VP6
dual 1133Mhz "Coppermine" P!!!
1GB-ish PC-133
GeForce 3 Ti

Tyan Tiger MPX
dual Athlon MP (later upgraded to XP-M with pencil mod)
2GB DDR
Radeon X850XT Platinum

ASUS PC-DL
dual "Prestonia" Low Voltage Xeon, overclocked from 1.6Ghz to 2.66Ghz with wiremod
2GB(?) DDR
GeForce 6800GT

AOpen i915GA-HFS
Pentium M "spicy edition Dothan" clocked at ~2.8Ghz
1.5GB DDR2
Radeon X1800XT (might have been a X1900XT idk)

If I could choose one to have back it would be the Pentium M rig. Chip was a fully-unlocked e---------g s----e with no stock clock, it just ran at whatever the mobo BIOS was set to and at 2.6-2.8Ghz it was faster than any Pentium 4 in gaming and up there with FX Athlons.

Really dreamy setup until months later the person I bought the chip from PM'd me in a panic explaining that Intel- implied to be their employer- was demanding it back (oops) and that they weren't supposed to sell it (duh). Ended up getting sent a brand-new (or maybe even unreleased at the time?) Core 2 in exchange for returning the Dothan and possibly saving the poor gonk's career but I still think about that Pentium M a lot and memories of wrecking 4Ghz Prescotts with a laptop chip brings some joy.

There are so many old systems I wish I still had for fun and nostalgia. Mostly duallies and weird stuff. My top ones would probably be

Abit VP6
dual 1133Mhz "Coppermine" P!!!
1GB-ish PC-133
GeForce 3 Ti

Tyan Tiger MPX
dual Athlon MP (later upgraded to XP-M with pencil mod)
2GB DDR
Radeon X850XT Platinum

ASUS PC-DL
dual "Prestonia" Low Voltage Xeon, overclocked from 1.6Ghz to 2.66Ghz with wiremod
2GB(?) DDR
GeForce 6800GT

AOpen i915GA-HFS
Pentium M "spicy edition Dothan" clocked at ~2.8Ghz
1.5GB DDR2
Radeon X1800XT (might have been a X1900XT idk)

If I could choose one to have back it would be the Pentium M rig. Chip was a fully-unlocked e---------g s----e with no stock clock, it just ran at whatever the mobo BIOS was set to and at 2.6-2.8Ghz it was faster than any Pentium 4 in gaming and up there with FX Athlons.

Really dreamy setup until months later the person I bought the chip from PM'd me in a panic explaining that Intel- implied to be their employer- was demanding it back (oops) and that they weren't supposed to sell it (duh). Ended up getting sent a brand-new (or maybe even unreleased at the time?) Core 2 in exchange for returning the Dothan and possibly saving the poor gonk's career but I still think about that Pentium M a lot and memories of wrecking 4Ghz Prescotts with a laptop chip brings some joy.
The dothan days were the best. Asus p4c800-e deluxe, ct-479 socket adapter and a modded koolance cpu block. I had alot of fun with those badboys.

The dothan days were the best. Asus p4c800-e deluxe, ct-479 socket adapter and a modded koolance cpu block. I had alot of fun with those badboys.
those were good times indeed. I got a CT-479 much much later, like in 2014, to go with a P4P800 Deluxe I found in the trash but never got to use it much 'cause my network took a lightning strike and the ASUS board was never quite right after. I bet yours ran super cool on a custom loop! What sort of clocks did u get?

I honestly cant remember for sure. I looked through all of my posts at ocf and couldnt find anything that old sadly. I want to say 2.7 to 3.0 but im not certain. The koolance block i used was tiny compared to todays blocks and i only used 1/4inch tubing and a single aluminum rad. I do know i went through at least 12 or 15 cpus during my endeavor(ouch). I chipped a couple of course during the learning curve. Strangely they survived. As sad as it is i cant even think of the model names of them anymore. I can see the beautiful little sobs clear as day but cant see the numbers on the die!

I honestly cant remember for sure. I looked through all of my posts at ocf and couldnt find anything that old sadly. I want to say 2.7 to 3.0 but im not certain. The koolance block i used was tiny compared to todays blocks and i only used 1/4inch tubing and a single aluminum rad. I do know i went through at least 12 or 15 cpus during my endeavor(ouch). I chipped a couple of course during the learning curve. Strangely they survived. As sad as it is i cant even think of the model names of them anymore. I can see the beautiful little sobs clear as day but cant see the numbers on the die!
Nice clocks for multi-locked chips! And building a custom loop back then was a real rare thing, cool stuff. Those bare dies were scary, I chipped mine a tiny bit (with no ill effect fortunately) installing the heatsink, don't remember which one exactly but it was a copper flower-style GPU cooler that I modified to fit. I wish the Pentium M desktop boards arrived earlier and had been easier to get, those chips kicked serious butt for gaming- in my opinion Dothan PMs were the best 32-bit x86 CPUs there ever were, even taking Athlon XP into account.

I have a small bag of Coppermine P3s. Including the 1GHz model. I really liked the P3 and once bought a retro dual ASUS CUV4X-DLS.
Was actually deciding between that and the VP6 mentioned above.
Installed a pair of P3 - 800EB energy efficient ones, downclocked them to 400 MHz and they just sat around passively cooled in a backup/data recovery machine.
I liked that board for its tolerance of basically any combination of memory sticks one could get their hands on. Mix and match galore and zero problems, ever.

Nice clocks for multi-locked chips! And building a custom loop back then was a real rare thing, cool stuff. Those bare dies were scary, I chipped mine a tiny bit (with no ill effect fortunately) installing the heatsink, don't remember which one exactly but it was a copper flower-style GPU cooler that I modified to fit. I wish the Pentium M desktop boards arrived earlier and had been easier to get, those chips kicked serious butt for gaming- in my opinion Dothan PMs were the best 32-bit x86 CPUs there ever were, even taking Athlon XP into account.
Ty it was a brief but crazy fun time. 780 533 is all i can remember, that one sticks out, probably because i bought several in the quest for the golden sample. I would break out in a cold sweat the first few times i mounted the cpu block (they were so hard to find). Once i figured out that rocking it was really really bad, i was ok lol.
I agree they crushed all of my p4c chips even clocked well beyond them. It wasnt even close.
They set a new standard thats for sure. If not for p3 then dothan, core 2 would have taken far longer to evolve if at all.

Back