Fiber Transceiver Questions

bds1904

Gawd
First, let me explain my situation. I am contemplating running fiber to my pole barn which isn't too far, but the cable run would be about 310ft. I am going to running conduit from the house to the pole barn for electric, and another for data.

I already have a Netgear GS-724T inside, and I have an extra D-Link DES-1252 laying around.

My actual question is:

Do the transceivers on both ends of the fiber have to be identical models?

What technical specifications should I be paying attention to in order to ensure compatibility with two different transceivers? I understand that both should be either multi-mode or single-mode, but what else?

They basically need to match on both ends.

Match up the speed, wavelength and cable size.

1Gbps/850nm/62.5 micron

First, let me explain my situation. I am contemplating running fiber to my pole barn which isn't too far, but the cable run would be about 310ft. I am going to running conduit from the house to the pole barn for electric, and another for data.

I already have a Netgear GS-724T inside, and I have an extra D-Link DES-1252 laying around.

My actual question is:

Do the transceivers on both ends of the fiber have to be identical models?

What technical specifications should I be paying attention to in order to ensure compatibility with two different transceivers? I understand that both should be either multi-mode or single-mode, but what else?

Fiber must match on both ends...

I.e.

SR - Short Reach must match SR on both ends. Which is always 850nm lasers, unless specifically listed as LED then both ends must be LED. Probably will never see this. Range is 300meters. Users Multimode cabling. OM3 or 4 must be used in order to get max range of 300meters. Color is typically Aqua. Look on Monoprice for cheap cabling.

LR - Long Reach 1310nm laser - 10km (might be what you need) Only uses Single Mode fiber, not more expensive really, just a very small core and an extremely long range. Color of cable will always be yellow.

LRM - Long Reach over Multimode - Kinda Weird hard to find parts for. 310meter'ish max range over multimode cable and will also work on singlemode. I dont understand the Long Reach part though.

Those are the only 3 specs you need to look at. There are also ethernet repeaters you can install, i.e. a common switch, but I am not sure if you have a powered weather proof area half way between so fiber might be your only option.

Make sure you also match the connectors on both ends of the fiber to the transceivers. I.E. SC/SC SC/LC LC/LC etc.... you can get creative with this and there are adaptors that will convert the formfactors if you make a mistake. More than likely the TXeivers are going to be LC/LC or SC/SC.

Good luck.

N-Egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812998112&name=Wired-Accessories

Manufacture Sheet:
http://www.startech.com/media/products/MCM110SC2/PDFs/MCM110SC2_Datasheet.pdf
Pair 2 of those together with MM cable and you get up to 2km range. Not bad at all. Dont have to worry about the media type, SR,LR, LRM etc... if you use two of those.

Last edited:
Back