fiber optic is att bull poo-ing me?

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
Just got off the phone with att and they are telling me that I am getting fiber optic internet that goes through a regular telephone line, does anyone know if this makes sense? One of their reps told me I was getting DSL, the other said cable, then one guy said static IP which he said is a superior version of DSL and now their telling me I'm getting fiber?? :confused:

Sounds like last mile copper... But I seriously doubt its ftth.

lmao, they are confused.
if it's over the copper phone line, it's some flavor of DSL.

although it could be that they have FTTC (fiber to the curb)? Although I imagine that would still be considered DSL, since it's still going over copper from the NID/IW to the fiber box.

although I would certainly just go with "reps that don't know shit about what they're talking about"

Easy way to answer; what kind of modem do you have? make/model?

Their forcing me to buy their trashy modem I think its a 2wire 3600 gvt something like that it had 1/5 stars on amazon.

Sounds like uVerse. The service itself is OK, I just rooted my NVG 510 and bridged it to my pfSense box.
uVerse is technicaly not DSL and is definitely not fiber. Static vs Dynamic address makes no difference to the actual quality of service.
If you are doing a self-install, it is definitely not fiber.

If you are getting a 2Wire 3600 you are getting fiber to the node (last mile copper) VDSL.

AT&T also brands their ADSL2+ U-verse, but it uses a Motorola NVG510 for the modem.

I work with both products all day long. Word of advise, try installing the modem by yourself (CSI), but if you have any problems pay the $99 and have a tech come run a CAT5 home run. If you don't have home phone and you know what you were doing, you could do it yourself. If you have POTS service, there are ways to do it yourself, but the filters they provide the tech are much better in the long run.

Also if you ordered 12Mbit service or slower, you will be on a 13.5mbit line profile (not internet speed, just modem line profile). On the 13.5mbit profile you have a pretty good chance of the CSI working just fine. If you ordered 18mbit (25mbit line profile minimum) or 24mbit service (32mbit line profile minimum), a CSI never works right. You ALWAYS have to have a home run for the 2 higher speed tiers (to work right with a consistent speed and not drop).

Just to clarify, AT&T does offer FTTH u-verse over a PON (limited to a 25mbit line profile). It is far and few between when compared to VDSL installations and it is also slower. In the end VDSL is a better product (as far as the methods that AT&T has deployed FTTH). VDSL speeds will also be expanded far before FTTH as the new(er) hardware that use 17a and 30a line profiles are WAY cheaper than upgrading the PON.

Last edited:
Do you guys think it would be worth while to get the 18 or 24 MB connection for better ping while gaming? Or would the 12 mb give the same ping ?

Ping will be the same, 18mbit has the same upload speed as 12 (1.5mbit) and 24mbit is 3mbit up

Do you guys think it would be worth while to get the 18 or 24 MB connection for better ping while gaming? Or would the 12 mb give the same ping ?

It's not latency (ping times) you should be worrying about so much for gaming, as you should be worrying about jitter, which is how much your ping times vary. Jitter is something that usually happens when your data is going through overburdened links on your ISP's network, and as a result your ping times are all over the place, the result being the server in the game you're playing having a hard time predicting your location and what you're doing accurately.

You would only see a better ping with a higher speed tier if other people/devices in your home are maxing out your connection while you are playing. But that has less to do with speed, and more to do with how your router handles priorities.

I had the 12mbit for the last two years and I never really had any problems with anything including gaming. I just upgraded to the 18mbit due to the low price difference and the promo I got. I don't see any major change during gaming but I can see a speed increase in servers that can use it.

Back