Fiat Chrysler Teams Up With Amazon To Sell Cars Online

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I don’t understand why car manufacturers don’t already provide similar service off their official websites. If I’m reading this right, you would still have to finalize things with a dealer—so why are manufacturers relying on a third party to begin “selling” vehicles online?

Initially only Italian buyers will be able to purchase their cars with a simple click online and the offers on Amazon.it will be limited to three models - the 500, the Panda and the 500L. FCA said the choice was deliberate because the Panda is Italy's biggest selling car, while buyers of the 500 and its larger 500L version embody the young and adventurous nature this initiative is trying to appeal to. "The time has arrived to give consumers a new, more efficient and transparent way to choose a new vehicle," Gianluca Italia, responsible for Fiat Chrysler in Italy, said during an online press conference.

I thought I heard the Fiat 500L was the worst compact car in the American market.

UAW temper tantrum in 3... 2... 1...

They have nothing to do with this and nor would they care. As long as they are building lots of cars, they get paid and what they want.

It's the dealers they will be pissed.

It'll never happen in the U.S because as mentioned, the dealer networks would shut that shit down in an instant. Does anyone still wonder why you cannot buy a Tesla in certain states? ;) It's because of the protectionism crap of the dealer vending machine, which is all a dealer is, they are just a damn vending machine.

Can't stand dealerships and their methods...it is on of those dreaded times in my life when I need a new vehicle. such a hassle.

I thought I heard the Fiat 500L was the worst compact car in the American market.

That pretty much applies to all Fiat and Chrysler cars, although the 500L is one of those exception cars where the poor reliability is likely to be legendary.

Can't stand dealerships and their methods...it is on of those dreaded times in my life when I need a new vehicle. such a hassle.

Not a problem if you know how to play the game :)

Bought my last car through the local high volume dealer's internet purchasing site.
Had been watching their inventory for a couple months and saw that they had the model/color I wanted sitting on their lot, so made them a lowball offer at the end of the month. They accepted and I drove the car home that night.

Dealers would use their lobbyist to smash any sort of progress into this area in the USA.

Sorry the middle man needs his cash...
Absolutely, they have done everything they can to hurt private party sales, and with mega used car dealers (of every manf.) available, there really is no need for branded dealerships.

Its a really crappy business model, and we could save a fortune cutting out the middle-man and ordering directly from the manufacturer, or with a tiny cut to an online retailer that handles the financing like Amazon.

I would love it if you could order a car, have it delivered to your door with zero miles on it, and pay a fixed fair price and not have to go back and forth playing the shell game where they keep shuffling profits around.

Not a problem if you know how to play the game :)
That's exactly what it is though, a stupid game.

Everyone thinks that they are the ones that got the super special deal, but the fact is that the average person is NOT getting a deal. Only a fraction are paying less than everyone else, a few paying more, and the majority are paying the same national average price but with a thousand hoops put in their way that makes the car buying process stressful and inefficient.

Everyone should be paying the same price for a car, even if its an old grandma buying a car alone, rather than today where the sharks would circle her seeing easy prey to abuse.

Just ask Tesla how selling direct to the consumer is going.

How many states have banned Tesla dealers so far?

Back