FFXIV only 1 hour a day!

Elios

Supreme [H]ardness
*mod edit* link removed, try finding one without hentai ads on it. -Oldie
Square Enix is introducing a “fatigue” system to upcoming MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV which will apparently see players hit with crippling penalties if they play more than an hour a day, with those daring to play more than 4 hours having their XP reduced to 0.

Square Enix acknowledge the existence of the system in an interview and in previous comments, but are strangely reticent about providing specifics:

Tell us about the “fatigue” and “dormancy” systems please.

We wanted to introduce a system to reward players who don’t have a lot of time to play. Maybe it looks as though we are placing long playing users at a disadvantage, but the idea is really to let play for short periods be viable.

Won’t that cause some concern amongst players who play for longer?

We want these players to try different classes. If you change class the fatigue doesn’t affect you, so you could try non-combat classes as well. You actually have more play choices now as you can make more characters.

“Some concern” may be a colossal understatement if early reports of just how draconian the limits are turn out to be correct:

Fatigue goes up to about 50% in 2 hours, and it takes 2 days to go down! So, if you play 4 hours you have to stop playing completely for 2 days!

WHAT!?

Only 1 hour a day!

What’s really amazing is that you have to pay a monthly subscription for this…

They can’t get away with this on a subscription game. They’ll be sued!

So you get bonuses for staying logged out – the servers are going to be nice and quiet, aren’t they!

More on the “dormancy” system:

Recovery takes time.

2 hours of combat or 1 hour of craft will induce “dormancy.”

The dormancy is actually shared over different characters.

It will decrease gains to 0% in the end.

It seems to be proportional to the amount of XP you earn.

Both light and heavy player are going to weep...

Such systems are not unique, but Square Enix appears to have taken the system to an extreme likely to either completely eliminate its “hardcore” player strata – to say nothing of its high-handedness in dictating to players that they can only play an hour day.

RAGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201008/19032391.html

UPDATE
Square Enix have finally clarified how their controversial “fatigue” system for limiting player advancement in Final Fantasy XIV works – players are not after all limited to 1 hour of play a day, but instead to a much more generous 8 hours a week.

The announcement was made on the internal Final Fantasy XIV beta tester site by the game’s director Nobuaki Komoto, and has since been reproduced by multiple sources:

ff14-beta-character-advancement.png

In summary:

Players earn XP at 100% for the first 8 hours.

For 7 hours over this limit the XP received decreases to 0%.

The time limit for the playtime counter to reset is 1 week.

The XP gain limit is not tied to any class/job but is per character.

Drops and loot are not affected by the XP “fatigue.”

Strangely, this is not so far off the “1 hour a day” limit which caused so much controversy – and hardly “fabrication” and “delusion” as Square Enix put it not so long ago.

Last edited:
One thing I hate about MMORPGs is all the grinding. But they could have done something a bit less...silly. At least it will take longer to get to high levels, and there wont be as much profit in gold farming?

One thing I hate about MMORPGs is all the grinding. But they could have done something a bit less...silly. At least it will take longer to get to high levels, and there wont be as much profit in gold farming?

heres the thing ITS SILL grindy like as much as XI was you just cant spend 8 hours at a time
so it make EVER MORE grindy

I like this a lot. I remember there was a WOW thread recently were a guy was talking about his brother and his wife who are major wow addicts and instead of feeding they're cats they played wow and like two of the three cats ended up dead. Hopefully with this one hour a day thing this will stop people from causing harm to themselves and others whether they want to or not.

I like this a lot. I remember there was a WOW thread recently were a guy was talking about his brother and his wife who are major wow addicts and instead of feeding they're cats they played wow and like two of the three cats ended up dead. Hopefully with this one hour a day thing this will stop people from causing harm to themselves and others whether they want to or not.

you dont know FF games getting ONE level in XI took 6 to 8 HOURS of game play

and you know thats not your call i play wow 4 to 5 hours in a day but only on and off
to get any thing done in 14 if its any like 11 will take HOURS this means stuff will take DAYS and you know still paying 15 bucks a month fuck that

Information is half-presented, without source, with a partially made up translation, and faulty.
(Also, Sankaku Complex has a self-professed vendetta against all SE products anyways)

Fatigue, in its numerical essence, is still a mystery.
I have been able to play about 4 hours on a single job before gaining fatigue, and even then, it was 10%.
Switching jobs, whether combat or crafting, reduces fatigue. To me it seems job based, and it does NOT carry to other characters.

This past weekend, played pugilist for about 3 and a half hours, got 10% fatigue, switched to Archer for a half hour to complete some leves, fatigue was gone, went back to pugilist and didn't get fatigued again after another hour of group leve-questing.

It's safe to say, right now, nobody knows how it works except SE (which is an unfortunate par for the course when it comes to game mechanics, anyone who played FFXI knows what I'm talking about), and hopefully we get some answers, because now people are just making shit up.

Last edited:
you dont know FF games getting ONE level in XI took 6 to 8 HOURS of game play

and you know thats not your call i play wow 4 to 5 hours in a day but only on and off
to get any thing done in 14 if its any like 11 will take HOURS this means stuff will take DAYS and you know still paying 15 bucks a month fuck that

I never said it was my call :confused:

In regards to getting stuff "done" assuming this article is not bullshit, other players would also only have an hour to get stuff "done" so everyone would have an equal playing field ( I assume that other players getting ahead of you is what you are worried about)

This better not be the reality... I was looking forward to sinking some time into a new world. At an hour a day, I won't bother.

Can someone please post the article text in this thread? I cannot get to those sites until tomorrow.

LOL, I'm questioning the credibility of the first link.

This may or may not be true, but it does prove one thing with the way people react to this....

Gamers don't play MMOs for fun, they play it for the acomplishment of leveling :)

maybe a positive re-enforcement system for players who only game an hour or so... rather than a penalty for the peeps who want to spend more time at it..

maybe a positive re-enforcement system for players who only game an hour or so... rather than a penalty for the peeps who want to spend more time at it..

Free Realms and some other games already do this. In Free Realms when you sign in, it starts ticking down an hour long clock. When the clock is still counting down, you get double XP and gold (or something like that, my 5 year old plays it way more than I do).

If you ever played FFXI, you know there's practically nothing a player can do in the game in an hour's time. It takes more than an hour to form a pickup EXP party. Last night I did a quest with some people and just finding people for it took close to two hours.

That's another mischaracterization of the system.
It is not built on a time-based trigger. There is time-based decay of fatigue, but it is enacted through some formula based on raw experience earned without change of class, and some differential factor between your physical level and your current levels within the armoury system.
It seems calculated from character to character, so saying 1 hour is just incorrect.

As I said, no one other than SE knows how this system really works, so we have to wait for further explanation (hopefully).

That's another mischaracterization of the system.
It is not built on a time-based trigger. There is time-based decay of fatigue, but it is enacted through some formula based on raw experience earned without change of class, and some differential factor between your physical level and your current levels within the armoury system.

As I said, no one other than SE knows how this system really works, so we have to wait for further explanation (hopefully).

what if i dont WANT to play another class? i dont like casters and crafting isnt my thing
i should be able to play just as long on one class if i want

what if i dont WANT to play another class? i dont like casters and crafting isnt my thing

Unfortunately, you're going to get pinged.
(Producer) Tanaka and (Director) Komoto seem very dead-set on enacting this system, and have essentially said straight up that if you don't switch, you will have to deal with fatigue.
This is pretty counter-intuitive, in my opinion. I'd much rather see a bonus/rested xp system than the inverse.

Based on how I play, however, I've barely ever breached the limits in the system. I switch pretty frequently when rotating Guildleves. Playing other classes to acquire cross-class skills is just too damn useful.

Also, I really, really like mining...for some reason.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you're going to get pinged.
(Producer) Tanaka and (Director) Komoto seem very dead-set on enacting this system, and have essentially said straight up that if you don't switch, you will have to deal with fatigue.
This is pretty counter-intuitive, in my opinion. I'd much rather see a bonus/rested xp system than the inverse.

They are the same thing. But I agree for perception reasons a bonus xp system sounds better.

They are the same thing. But I agree for perception reasons a bonus xp system sounds better.

thats fine but this system drops off to ZERO xp if it say worked like the old way WoW did in its beta sure were you got 100% for rested and then dropped to 50 it would be so bad
but WoW thought that was a bad idea and went with what they have now

this is just a cockblock to keep people from hitting cap to fast and finding out the game has no content other then grinding

Do you limit the time your 5 year old spends gaming daily and at a time?

Please don't see this question as an attack on your parenting skills, I'm just wondering.

As someone who has had problems with mmo gaming in the past (Everquest), I want to try and keep my son (year and a half) far away from gaming of any kind at all. Even though I'll play about 1 or 2 hours of SC2 a day now, I'll always stop playing if he walks by my room. Even then, he's always trying to get up on my desk to play with the mouse and smash the keyboard.

But then sometimes I think I'm just delaying the inevitable.

nothing wrong with gaming your going about that the wrong way
dont make stupid rules becouse of your own failings
and really 5 to 10 hours a week gaming isnt that bad and really there are worse things one could do with your spare time

Interesting idea. An an ideal world, it would probably do a lot of good. (Except for the $15 a month/1 hour a day part). This might backfire though, in that bored gamers are going to find other games to play instead. Not everyone is going to keep making new characters in order to get their gaming fix for the day.

Yeah the first links needs a NSFW warning.

Boss totally caught me looking at scantily dressed underage anime pics.

Interesting idea. An an ideal world, it would probably do a lot of good. (Except for the $15 a month/1 hour a day part). This might backfire though, in that bored gamers are going to find other games to play instead. Not everyone is going to keep making new characters in order to get their gaming fix for the day.

Making new characters?

You do realize that in FFXIV that you change jobs by changing weapon? Change from sword to staff and you're no longer a fighter you're a mage. Getting fatigued as a warrior? Either take the slight xp loss or change jobs and no fatigue on that one.

Personally I think that this is nothing more than people being stupid about naming. If this was put forward as bonus XP for the first hour of play per job per day, none of y'all would be whining. You'd be going on about how great they are for making leveling faster.

All this shows me is that SE needs better marketing folks :p

thats fine but this system drops off to ZERO xp if it say worked like the old way WoW did in its beta sure were you got 100% for rested and then dropped to 50 it would be so bad
but WoW thought that was a bad idea and went with what they have now

this is just a cockblock to keep people from hitting cap to fast and finding out the game has no content other then grinding

I highly doubt it ever goes to zero when the game is released.

If you ever played FFXI, you know there's practically nothing a player can do in the game in an hour's time. It takes more than an hour to form a pickup EXP party. Last night I did a quest with some people and just finding people for it took close to two hours.

This is what I found most frustrating about 11, but I hear 14 won't be like that.

Will we have a choice of which server to join? For example, can I join a Japanese server from California?

You realize that you're going to kind of have to play more than one class?

Reason being is that from my understanding you get to pick and choose abilities somehow from all the classes you've leveled. So you may level 3 different melee classes so that you can have the ability set that you want. You might even level a healer class a little so you can select a heal ability for when you're soloing.

For those of y'all curious... I'd suggest heading to ffxivcore and reading through the forums there, there's a lot of good info.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the game. Some things from FFXI that I really liked are gone, but from what I've read, it's definately not going to be just another cookie-cutter MMO, and for that I'm really thankful.

That's disgusting. I hope he was joking.

DAoC had something kinda simmilar where if you just killed the same mob over and over, the XP it rewarded would deminish. Think it was done to try and curb farming. Dunno if its compariable to this, but I thought I'd point it out.

So far, playing in the beta, this hasn't hit me even once. And the game is nothing like FFXI so you really don't have to worry about being logged in for 8 hours straight to get anything done. It's actually kind of refreshing.

lmao ... this is how you handle making a game for casual player ... to encourage some to not use your product? wow

FUCK YOU SQUARE FUCK YOU

Square Enix have finally clarified how their controversial “fatigue” system for limiting player advancement in Final Fantasy XIV works – players are not after all limited to 1 hour of play a day, but instead to a much more generous 8 hours a week.

The announcement was made on the internal Final Fantasy XIV beta tester site by the game’s director Nobuaki Komoto, and has since been reproduced by multiple sources:

ff14-beta-character-advancement.png

In summary:

Players earn XP at 100% for the first 8 hours.

For 7 hours over this limit the XP received decreases to 0%.

The time limit for the playtime counter to reset is 1 week.

The XP gain limit is not tied to any class/job but is per character.

Drops and loot are not affected by the XP “fatigue.”

Strangely, this is not so far off the “1 hour a day” limit which caused so much controversy – and hardly “fabrication” and “delusion” as Square Enix put it not so long ago.

Back