FFXI .. PC or PS2

jetjaguar

2[H]4U
which would you play ? the pc version or wait and get the ps2 version with the harddrive ?? thanks

I was thinking about getting the pc version as well..seeing as I'd be hoggin the big@$$ tv in the living room (my spouse would be beat me up)...

I was thinking that you could probably get higher grfx resolutions on the pc anyways, right?

-=JAJ=-

ps- I was lkng at the reqs' and was wondering if it works ok with an ati 9800xt card? since I see nvidia plastered all over the place....need to know. thanks!

ps2 is better the game is made around using the PS2 controller ..just get a usb keyboard for typing ..plus it runs nicely on the ps2 as well ..

in the end i prefer the PC but like stated above this interface was designed with a PS2 controller in mind. Its one of the few PC games that i'd say works 20x better with a gamepad

I had no problems playing this game on the PC with JUST the keyboard :).

Once you map out the keys the way you want them, the interface isn't as horrendous as a lot of people make it out to be.

I'd go with PC too, looks purdy, and it's less expensive than the PS2 version (unless you wanted to get the Hard drive for PS2 as well).

Not to beat a dead horse but the PC version is almost a direct port of the PS2 version. With the exception of some bump-mapping and a higher resolution, the PC version is identical.

However, keep in mind that FFXI is the only game that will use the PS2 hard drive right now and very few games will ever use it in the future.

And you need to have a USB to play it on the PS2. Otherwise you will have to "hunt and peck" with the controller. If you don't want to buy a keyboard expect to get kicked out of groups.

Get if for the PC because you're going to need a keyboard no matter which version you get, especially if you're a mage.

ebgames for some reason sent me a free copy of FFXI for the PC way back when I simply ordered FFX-2. I haven't played it yet but I think it'll be much better on the puter than the ps2 when I finally do get around to it.

I know for a fact that FFXI works nice with a keyboard, with some obvious advantages over the PS2. First of all, attacks are better executed via a keyboard (I tried using my Nyko AirFlo gamepad, which is identical to the button layout of a PS2 controller), so with the Nyko I had to select the target, bring up the menu, then selected "Attack." Using my keyboard, all that I had to do was select the target, and hit Ctrl+A which executed the "Attack" command. Also selecting a target, and hitting Ctrl+D executes a ranged attack, both cases demonstrate why a keyboard is far easier for attacking. Also, the PC verion boasts the obvious advantage of higher resolution graphics.

Originally posted by DrunknMastr
I know for a fact that FFXI works nice with a keyboard, with some obvious advantages over the PS2.

..because as we all know, they don't make keyboards for PS2's.

The default action for the controller is to attack anyway. It's actually quicker to tap one button three times than to reach for CTRL+A (not CTRL+S or CTRL+Z or CTRL+CapsLock).

Back