FFDShow choppiness problems

Hidaglio

Limp Gawd
I don't have much experience with post processing DVDs, but from what I've read in a few forums ffdshow is the best/fastest one around. I used http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1 as a guide to setting up ffdshow. The only option I have turned on is the same denoise settings shown in that guide.

Anytime I try and use the resize function I get terrible choppy video even at 1280x720/1440x960 where other people with half my processing power are upscaling to 1776x1000 with no problem. I've tried MPC 6.4, Zoomplayer, TheaterTek and about 10 different versions of ffdshow with no luck. My processor benches quite a bit faster than a 3.2ghz P4 in sisoft sandra. I turned of all non important processes, cleaned up the services a bit, defragged, ran spybot and a virus scan. Anyone have any ideas why ffdshow pegs my cpu at 100% no matter what I try and resize too?

Change your resize method to "Area"
Have you organized your filters? (Putting everything before Resize)

Whats going one is that Resize takes up alot of CPU power, try taking Denoise3D off or try lowering them. Make sure you haven't clicked on the "Process whole image" What other settings are you using? The cool thing about ffdshow is the fact that it has a great deal of flexablity lettting you experiment with alot of different settings, I took the better part of a weekend settings up mine. The thing is is that ffdshow needs bandwith so upping your FSB might help too (I actually have the FSB one mine set to 272 (synched) instead of 266 and I have found that it stabilises any choppy video I may have had.
My settings:
Blur & NR: Gradual Noise 30
Sharpen: Unsharpen Mask 30
Resize and Aspect: 1024x768, Method: Area, Luma Sharpen 2, Chroma Sharpen: 2

(I just noticed your post over there)
1900+ Athlon XP with 256mb 2100DDR on a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

I have everything set the same as in that guide, denoise3d and I moved resize under the Blur & NA. Under resize settings Im using the luma sharpen luczos or something method and chroma sharpen. Ill try the area box to see if that helps.

Thanks,

Oh bicubic is a good one. Try what Beyond said (over at the HTPC News forums) too. I switched it over to bicubic and Naruto looks nice.

Ok, I've been playing with FFDShow all day. Using area helped alot, I noticed when using the NVDVD video codec and I played a .vob I could play 1920x1080 with no chopiness but anytime I tried to load a .ifo it had green lines all over the menu/movie. I changed to the sonic codec and again it played fine with .vob but if I load a .ifo I get the same chopiness I was having before.

Is there something different about loading a .ifo than just a .vob? I need to be able to pick the DTS track from the menu but cant use the .ifo to do so. I tried with nothing turned on except for area scaling, still no luck. Driving me insane.

Lanczos is actually a little better than bicubic for quality. I just suggest not using it because it takes way too much CPU to use in realtime.

Doh, I guess something was using direct x and I had 6xAA and 16xAF on rofl. Now running 1920x1080 with 60% cpu usage.

Back