FF VII: Remake. New news/teaser trailer

A couple of thoughts about FF VII remake so far:

- I don't feel good about Aerith having MP Drain ability from start. I think micromanaging MP is one of those things in RPG games, you should run out of it if you use it too much. The way Square Enix seems to have balanced the game out is that enemies are generally tougher so you need to use lots of spells or skills to take down an enemy which leads to:

- From what I've seen so far the fights will last much longer than in the original game as your attacks deals overall less damage or the enemies are tougher (but doesn't either deal a huge amount of damage to you). I think that's a bad decision from a gameplay perspective, I'm more for a shorter more agile fight where both you and your enemies deals more damage which results in the decision making during fights makes more a difference, instead of having to spam like 5-10 times a spell or ability which also makes it feel they have less of an impact on an enemy simply let him die (early on) from say 2-3 but the enemy also deals significantly more damage from attacks (or you just start off with lower HP like ~500 instead of 1000). This way Aerith wouldn't have needed MP drain either.

- Quests. I don't mind some quests like the kid which researches new materia, it fits the game if there's this geek kiddo in Sector 7 slums that wants to help out the Avalanche gang, I totally buy that. But like finding a lost cat, I dunno. That problably involves venturing into train yard and fight some ghosts that scares the cat off and that's about it. It doesn't feel like it adds that much to the game necessarily other than additional game time and it's not it totally fits the story either when Avalanche should be focusing on fighting Shinra or later save the planet, should be no time for finding lost cats.

- I hope by the time the PC version comes around and being based on Unreal Engine it will be moddable. I probably end up wanna "rebalance" the game for my liking to work closer to the original in how long the fights last but probably make it bit harder though like a "hardcore" mode. Which I also made of the original.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this

- I don't feel good about Aerith having MP Drain ability from start. I think micromanaging MP is one of those things in RPG games, you should run out of it if you use it too much. The way Square Enix seems to have balanced the game out is that enemies are generally tougher so you need to use lots of spells or skills to take down an enemy which leads to:

- From what I've seen so far the fights will last much longer than in the original game as your attacks deals overall less damage or the enemies are tougher (but doesn't either deal a huge amount of damage to you). I think that's a bad decision from a gameplay perspective, I'm more for a shorter more agile fight where both you and your enemies deals more damage which results in the decision making during fights makes more a difference, instead of having to spam like 5-10 times a spell or ability which also makes it feel they have less of an impact on an enemy simply let him die (early on) from say 2-3 but the enemy also deals significantly more damage from attacks (or you just start off with lower HP like ~500 instead of 1000). This way Aerith wouldn't have needed MP drain either.

- Quests. I don't mind some quests like the kid which researches new materia, it fits the game if there's this geek kiddo in Sector 7 slums that wants to help out the Avalanche gang, I totally buy that. But like finding a lost cat, I dunno. That problably involves venturing into train yard and fight some ghosts that scares the cat off and that's about it. It doesn't feel like it adds that much to the game necessarily other than additional game time and it's not it totally fits the story either when Avalanche should be focusing on fighting Shinra or later save the planet, should be no time for finding lost cats.

- I hope by the time the PC version comes around and being based on Unreal Engine it will be moddable. I probably end up wanna "rebalance" the game for my liking to work closer to the original in how long the fights last but probably make it bit harder though like a "hardcore" mode. Which I also made of the original.

Having MP Drain early can work, but it entirely depends on how it's balanced. New Threat gives players MP Drain stuff pretty early on, but the mod developers drastically overhauled the entire difficulty system for the ability to make sense. So far, Remake looks fairly easy so hard to say how it will work out.

It seems like a lot of the "save a cat" or whatnot quests are tied into the Mercenary sidequest system. Ideally, there will be more involved/lore friendly sidequests as well.

I really hope SE took lessons from how much people liked 15 having official mod support and do the same for Remake. Or, at least, don't go out of there way to make it hard to mod.

I think I'm OK with Aeris having MP Drain from the get go. Presumably lets her keep a more active role as a caster.

And the side quests are really the only thing I'm wholly unsure of at the moment. The rest of the game honestly looks baller as fuck from what I've seen. I'm hopeful they don't just feel like complete and utter timewasters that don't fit in at all.

https://butterfingerff7r.com/

Going to have Butterfingers plastered all over in the game I bet.

/Facepalm.
and baby, baby ruth!
babyruth.gif

I think I'm OK with Aeris having MP Drain from the get go. Presumably lets her keep a more active role as a caster.

Depends how much it drains relative to MP costs. Keep in mind Black Mages in FF games have been relatively weak since FF2, so this at least gives some incentive to not store your MP for casting Cure.

Just finished the demo and it ended exactly where I expected/hoped it would. Really enjoyed the new combat system and love the fact they give you the option of the old one if desired. Definitely buying this game.

Last edited:
Just finished the demo and it ended exactly where I expected/hoped it would. Really enjoyed the new combat system and look be the fact they give you the option of the old one if desired. Definitely buying this game.

Combat similar to FFXV?

Combat similar to FFXV?
never played it unfortunately :( But I can tell you that the system in FF7 is very smooth, the transition into and out of combat is seamless and they do a very good job of telling you when your in combat or not. The music change and cloud taking his sword off his back or putting it back on works great, its a super simple but effective indicator for combat. I hate games where you have no idea something is coming at you because your camera was just unluckly enough to not be aiming in the right direction.

Is anyone playing this? I'm like 14 hours deep.

So far my biggest complaints are:
1. The game clearly seems to have some texture issues, some parts of the environment are _extremely_ low res for whatever reason. Not sure if it's a streaming issue or just inconsistent art.
2. The side missions are generally kind of meh in my opinion. Most of the time, they just don't add too much besides you going to kick the living shit out of something and NPCs telling you you're cool. Plus it seems to fuck with the pacing, the main plot threads just completely and utterly cease for hours if you're OCD about doing them all.

Besides that, combat is frantic and surprisingly challenging, boss fights are punchy and exciting, and the main story beats are all very good so far.

Edit: I'm also super curious about what the end game is like here. I'm assuming you won't be getting items with like 8 materia slots and shit and ultimate weapons. And that you won't be hitting level 99 by the end.

Edit edit: Wall Market is fucking fantastic so far.

Last edited:
I started playing this last night. I put about six hours into the game I’m loving it so far. I love the HDR effects in the game it looks absolutely amazing on my LG oled. I do have the texture issue in my game as well, it’s almost like the high-quality texture is not loading, it’s very odd.

the transition between fmv and in game is really smooth, combat is very smooth, never noticed any hiccups in frame rates. I do notice the texture pop in, hopefully this can be fixed but doubt it, doesn't really affect gameplay though. So far in chapter 10 and enjoying it a lot. Wall market looks really nice in this game.

Just finished it.

Graphics for the most part are good. Yeah, the texture issues are odd. You'll get scenarios where you can read the words on a paper, and a little down the road, you can't even make out a billboard. Didn't notice much texture pop in though. (Maybe PS4 Pro + SSD helped with that?)

And it's been awhile since I played the original FF7, but even though the first half was linear, I didn't think it was this linear. I know JRPGs tend to have the illusion of choice, but this remake doesn't even have that. The remake is just going down hallways, and you can barely deviate from it.

And be prepared for a lot of filler, especially when you get forced into walk mode.

The good news is, anything you missed on your first playthrough, you can pick up again semi-quickly, as you get chapter select after you finish it.

Is this a lot different than FF9? My only experience with FF is playing 9 on my phone (lol) and I found it to be very slowly paced with lots of dialogue that seemed aimed at a much younger crowd.
But I've heard a lot good about 7 and I did enjoy Tactics in its day.

Is this a lot different than FF9? My only experience with FF is playing 9 on my phone (lol) and I found it to be very slowly paced with lots of dialogue that seemed aimed at a much younger crowd.
But I've heard a lot good about 7 and I did enjoy Tactics in its day.

A LOT different. 9 was a throwback to the older, early Super Famicom/SNES, style of FF games. There is a demo up on PSN.

Literal question: Is it my imagination or have they been talking about the remake for years now?

Sometimes this game definitely seems to be verbose for the sake of being verbose.

Like guys shut the fuck up and get on with it.

Shit is literally code red everyone is going to die. Stop literally holding hands and pep talking and fucking do something. Tifa says we need to hurry up like 6 times and fucking wastes time constantly.

Yes, we all fucking see everything that's happening and have for the last 20 minutes. Shit is exploding, people are literally dying around us, Barrett is actively engaged in a straight up battle to the death above us. The urgency is obvious, and it's just plain dumb for the characters to keep harping on the same point while dragging their feet at every single chance they get. Everyone who isn't a lobotomized, drooling imbecile can understand how dire the situation is but the game needs to have everyone explicitly say it 90 times.

Absolutely nothing of value is being added to the story. It's like the narration just goes off script and wings it for a bit sometimes. Sometimes the game just desperately needs to move the needle instead of there being 40 steps in-between.

Also when we're blocked by something I could easily climb or jump over IRL I can't help but roll my eyes a bit.

Why is Aeris having a conversation with Marlene at the bar. THE BAR IS ALMOST LITERALY ON FIRE - GRAB THE GIRL AND TRY TO ESCAPE.

WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HOW AERIS SMELLS LIKE FLOWERS???

Like what the everloving fuck is going on with the pacing at this part?

Last edited:
It was supposed to come out for PS3, so yes ... it’s been a while.
It wasn't suppose to come out for PS3. They made a tech demo for PS3 of the beginning. They been working on the PS4 for awhile now. A few years back they scraped most of what they had done and basically started over again. I believe they weren't happy with the work of a outside developer they had hired for it.

It wasn't suppose to come out for PS3. They made a tech demo for PS3 of the beginning. They been working on the PS4 for awhile now. A few years back they scraped most of what they had done and basically started over again. I believe they weren't happy with the work of a outside developer they had hired for it.
They showed off that demo 14 years ago. The FFVII remake has been a thing for a very long time. They've started this project over several times. There were even rumors at one point that they'd just wait for the PS5.

Just finished it.

Graphics for the most part are good. Yeah, the texture issues are odd. You'll get scenarios where you can read the words on a paper, and a little down the road, you can't even make out a billboard. Didn't notice much texture pop in though. (Maybe PS4 Pro + SSD helped with that?)

And it's been awhile since I played the original FF7, but even though the first half was linear, I didn't think it was this linear. I know JRPGs tend to have the illusion of choice, but this remake doesn't even have that. The remake is just going down hallways, and you can barely deviate from it.

And be prepared for a lot of filler, especially when you get forced into walk mode.

The good news is, anything you missed on your first playthrough, you can pick up again semi-quickly, as you get chapter select after you finish it.

I did a play through of the original 7 just a month ago...and yes, it was that linear; midgard was always on rails IMO...and still is.

As for textures...I think this might have been the price for a perfectly buttery smooth game the whole time IMO while on ancient equipment. I never saw a FPS drop the whole time. In that regards....I thought the trade was worth it.

I'm convinced that if they just tightened some segments up, this game would be 10/10. I'm not sure if they were trying to make certain segments meet a certain time span or what, but the extra shit at parts honestly just doesn't work. You can tell when they seemingly tried too hard to fluff up a section.

The last chapter I played must have legitimately had like 5-10 minutes worth of just characters making weird GUH noises. More obnoxious yet if that our party is seemingly incapable of talking on the move so instead we need to stop and huddle every 5 minutes and talk about how we need to totally hurry the fuck up while utter catastrophe unfolds before our very eyes.

I honestly bet they could have shaved a half hour or more off the last chapter I played and perhaps even several hours from the game itself up to this point. It would have been better for it.

Also how the fuck can Cloud jump 30 feet in one cutscene while flipping then struggle to hop or walk across something that I could IRL in the next.

Started this today and I’m not much past where the demo ended and already really disliking some of the changes.

Like what?

I think the part immediately past the demo is a bit weak because it seems to drag its feet a bit. It starts picking up in pace a bit and the combat continues flesh out.

The showing of Sephiroth in a hamfisted fan service manner. And then the Harry Potter crossover with Dementors flying about harassing Aerith.

Just some changes that seem poor decisions to me. As such a short break to watch Avatar The Last Airbender. Mix some good storytelling in with the bad.

They showed off that demo 14 years ago. The FFVII remake has been a thing for a very long time. They've started this project over several times. There were even rumors at one point that they'd just wait for the PS5.

They've wanted to make it for a long time, but it sounds like actual work never started on it until more recently. The remake was announced in 2015 and was only restarted once in that time. It ended up being restarted due to SE not being happy with the work CyberConnect2 was doing so they scrapped a lot of that and did everything internally. There have been RUMORS of a remake for ages, but there was never anything concrete until around the time it was announced. The PS5 rumor was clearly BS, made up by someone to get attention and/or trick people. Prior to 2015 people kept throwing around rumors and it would only end up being an "updated" re-release of the old Eidos PC port on different platforms.

The showing of Sephiroth in a hamfisted fan service manner. And then the Harry Potter crossover with Dementors flying about harassing Aerith.

Just some changes that seem poor decisions to me. As such a short break to watch Avatar The Last Airbender. Mix some good storytelling in with the bad.

The Sephiroth scene wasn't that hamfisted. It's clearly Cloud going through, what he would see as, PTSD flashbacks. For people unfamiliar with the game they'd be left wondering wth was going on and for everyone else, it's setting up hints of what's to come. The games does A LOT of world building and hinting (both subtle and not-so-subtle) towards future events.

As for the ghosts. Eeeeh. I don't mind them too much. I have some idea what they might be and what their role is, but they do get in the way a bit too often.

Sometimes this game definitely seems to be verbose for the sake of being verbose.

Like guys shut the fuck up and get on with it.

Why is Aeris having a conversation with Marlene at the bar. THE BAR IS ALMOST LITERALY ON FIRE - GRAB THE GIRL AND TRY TO ESCAPE.

WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HOW AERIS SMELLS LIKE FLOWERS???

Like what the everloving fuck is going on with the pacing at this part?

Chill man, it's just a video game.

You've never had to calm down a terrified young child, have you? If Aerith had tried to just grab her and go Marlene would have fought and screamed and made things harder. Like any kid would when a complete fucking stranger up and grabs them out of the blue when they're already terrified. Aerith talking to Marlene, when the area is relatively safe (the bar really isn't in that much danger of catching on fire) in order to get her to calm down makes complete sense here. Why wouldn't the LITTLE CHILD mention that Aerith smells like the flower Cloud gave Tifa? Are you suddenly expecting the 4-5 year old (or however old she is) child to act like a rational adult?

Trudging to the end now. (Which has an obnoxious bug that requires loading a save.)

Overall they did well. As a friend put it they didn’t give it the George Lucas treatment. I do feel a lot of it is padded out, and some of it is probably padded just to make Midgar really feel like it’s own game worth of content. Which is great to newcomers I suppose, just leaves it on a sequel hook.

I can definitely see where they learned their lessons of XIII and it’s corridor sections. Had they not learned that lesson and broke Midgar up with various areas to do side quests this remake would probably feel a lot like FFXIII outside of Wall Market.

I do maintain that the battle system is simultaneously the best and worst part of this remake though.

Wow, no. I was completely wrong and the ending of this game is utter ass. Just straight up bad.

Wow, no. I was completely wrong and the ending of this game is utter ass. Just straight up bad.

Aside from it being a bit long, I liked the ending. Then again, I've been saying for a while that I don't just want a direct retelling of FF7.

The idea that they're going to change things and do their own thing, while likely staying within the bounds of the original game, has me really interested. The writing in this game was sharp. While not perfect, they did a rather good job telling the story and setting up characters. As long as the sole reason for making changes isn't to reverse Aerith's death I'm going along for the ride, at least for now. Thinking back on the story, it should have been obvious that they were going to make huge changes. There are so many hints to it, especially with how they handle Cloud's memories and his visions of Sephiroth.

Something interesting about the ending that I've seen people point out. That Sephiroth that talks to Cloud towards the end might be Advent Children Sephiroth as, in Japanese, the word choice he uses hints towards the more "sane" non-Jehnova influenced version.

All of that said, calling "Final Fantasty VII Remake" was a HUGE bait and switch. It's really more of a FF7 reboot or something.

Aside from it being a bit long, I liked the ending. Then again, I've been saying for a while that I don't just want a direct retelling of FF7.

The idea that they're going to change things and do their own thing, while likely staying within the bounds of the original game, has me really interested. The writing in this game was sharp. While not perfect, they did a rather good job telling the story and setting up characters. As long as the sole reason for making changes isn't to reverse Aerith's death I'm going along for the ride, at least for now. Thinking back on the story, it should have been obvious that they were going to make huge changes. There are so many hints to it, especially with how they handle Cloud's memories and his visions of Sephiroth.

Something interesting about the ending that I've seen people point out. That Sephiroth that talks to Cloud towards the end might be Advent Children Sephiroth as, in Japanese, the word choice he uses hints towards the more "sane" non-Jehnova influenced version.

All of that said, calling "Final Fantasty VII Remake" was a HUGE bait and switch. It's really more of a FF7 reboot or something.
I think one of my biggest issues with how they’re rebooting the story isn’t necessarily the changes (though the ending is just pure fan service wank for people who would’ve cried to not see Sephiroth in full Advent Children style). It’s more in their decision that they created a deus ex machina component just to try and get away with random BS. Such as with Barret in the Presidents Office. It feels more like they’re getting ready to tread multiverse theory and breaking the chains of destiny. Iunno.

The extra padding of the game didn’t bother me for the most part, it fleshed a lot of it out in okay ways but by the time I was at the end of the highway section that bit added in just kind of soured me. Partly for previously mentioned reasons and partly it was 5am and I was just ready to finish.

Its neither here nor there, but does anyone else feel the “Remake” subtitle is a bit of a misnomer? I mean it barely touches a small portion of the original game. Ah oh well.

As for sequels, I went back to FFXV after VIIR. It’s got me thinking, I would really enjoy if they managed a similarly built world for part 2. Traveling out Midgar to explore caves and the Gold Saucer, Junon, Nibelheim etc. I think it could work pretty damn well.

I just finished the game, and I feel so frustrated. At first I was excited because the game did so much right. It brought FF7 to modern age with more fleshed out story and characters, but after the collapse (I really do not consider this moment a spoiler) of Sector 7 the game was slowly torn apart and made into a god damn Kingdom Hearts game. There is so much to love, the characters are fantastic, and then the game takes such an epic faceplant on concrete and even going as far as
completely undermining the tragic moment of the above mentioned Sector 7 collapse. The moment that made me almost shed a tear, it was that powerful when the characters were lamenting the loss of their friends and homes. And then we figure out Wedge was alive, and my BS alarm started to ring. And at the ending BIGGS WAS ALIVE!? WTF, HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!? And don't get me started on the Whispers and the Fate thing, which is nothing more than a cheap Deus/Diabolus Ex Machina plot device. The moment Red XIII started his exposition about them is the moment I lost my hope for a proper FFVII Remake.

All in all, it is Mass Effect 3 situation again. Here we have a largely fantastic game that (apparently) gets stained by a director who was not kept on a leash. But unlike ME3 this was the first game in a serie that could turn out good. But I have hard time forgiving them for cockteasing us fans and calling this a Remake, which it clearly is not. This is not a game we were waiting for about 10+ years...

Back