FF VII: Remake. New news/teaser trailer

They've already said the first part/episode is Midgar. It should be noted that while "episodic" is the correct term, technically, this is not like a Telltale episodic game. Each episode is a full game. So they took the Midgar part of FF7 and expanded it into an entire game on its own. The other episodes can also be looked at as "sequels". As long as they don't change engines and keep the core dev team together they should be able to keep things moving smoothly. Barring SE being SE and fucking things up I'd expect a year or two between parts. So episode/part 2 in 2021 or 2022 and so on.
It is not a full game. I love ffvii and will not support this milking from SE. People shouldn't defend this practice cause of their blind nostalgic love for the game. It will set a precedent for other companies to do the same shit if this turns out successful. SE needs to die. They aren't even a shadow of their former self. I use to be a blind defender of them for so long and had enough of their bull shit.

It is not a full game. I love ffvii and will not support this milking from SE. People shouldn't defend this practice cause of their blind nostalgic love for the game. It will set a precedent for other companies to do the same shit if this turns out successful. SE needs to die. They aren't even a shadow of their former self. I use to be a blind defender of them for so long and had enough of their bull shit.

Okay.

hmm, you know it is not for a fact "seemingly" as long as what a normal game (hopefully more) would be ala Final Fantasy IP ??

If they do exactly as stated they would, open it right up, town by town etc to fully flesh out the backstory etc which they simply could not do many years back, now they absolutely are able.

Suppose we shall see. IMO if something along the line of D3 or Path of Exile (bleck lol) where has the adventure/campaign mode and the bounty/hunt map (forget it's name now in PoE .. not wanting to subject myself to that game again after I gave it far more than my fair shake, short of doing a forced upgrade for very little gain otherwise.

It will be far large enough for the majority of gaming demographics where folks want a long game, but might only be wanting/able to play in hr or 2 chunks at a time, preferably with offline option enabled for "play on the go"

one can only hope I suppose they "do the right things" I look forward to it, but only will get if someone gifts to me OR performance/user opinion says "get it, such a great game with lots and lots to do"

New trailer out of TGS, highlighting more cringey English voice acting softened by Tifa and Aerith looking thicc. A lot of story elements from the initial Midgar section are revealed in this trailer.

Version with Japanese voices:

Sweet Jesus fuck they're pretty much nailing this so far from what I've seen.

Voice acting is alright. Not great but not awful.

Also what the fuck are motorcycles in the FF7 universe. Fucking things do more flips than an Olympic gymnast.

Still want details about how they going to be releasing this. Stop hiding it SE we know you going to try and milk people.

Still want details about how they going to be releasing this. Stop hiding it SE we know you going to try and milk people.

I think it comes down to them trying to fit 20yrs of lore into the game. It's gonna take ten years to do it!

If it's true that they stretched the Midgar section out to 40-50 hours for the first part, then SE can milk my wallet as much as they want. It looks obvious that much love and care went into this unlike the half-assed graphical upgrades we so often see regurgitated.

If it's true that they stretched the Midgar section out to 40-50 hours for the first part, then SE can milk my wallet as much as they want. It looks obvious that much love and care went into this unlike the half-assed graphical upgrades we so often see regurgitated.
Maybe but I don't want them to set a precedent. Sure SE might put their all into this and it become successful I can see other companies trying this bs and splitting games in multi parts for $60 also. I just want them to be honest and tell us how they really going to handle this game. I am fine waiting 10 years for a proper and complete remake. Honestly I would of preferred a complete remake of 6 hell even 4 before 7.

I've never played this game before (I only played XV which I found very sub par) but it looks like the original VII was around 56 hours at best. I'm wondering how much they can add to it. I can't see them stretching the first 5-7 hours to 40-50 hours but I suppose it is possible but it would really become its own new game. If it is 50 or so hours per episode I suppose they can get away with charging full price for it.

I assumed it would be be more like three episodes priced $30 each which each section being 20-25 hours. Will be interesting to see how it pans out from a money/content ratio. The only info I've found on this is that they don't know how many episodes it will span which is a bit worrisome if the first one is coming out in 6 months. You'd think you'd have that planned out by now, and just needing to decide where to cut off the episodes so they don't abruptly end.

I've never played this game before (I only played XV which I found very sub par) but it looks like the original VII was around 56 hours at best. I'm wondering how much they can add to it. I can't see them stretching the first 5-7 hours to 40-50 hours but I suppose it is possible but it would really become its own new game. If it is 50 or so hours per episode I suppose they can get away with charging full price for it.

I assumed it would be be more like three episodes priced $30 each which each section being 20-25 hours. Will be interesting to see how it pans out from a money/content ratio. The only info I've found on this is that they don't know how many episodes it will span which is a bit worrisome if the first one is coming out in 6 months. You'd think you'd have that planned out by now, and just needing to decide where to cut off the episodes so they don't abruptly end.
I am sure they have everything planned out by now. They just don't want to be called out on milking the fans.

There is a lot of potential for expanded back stories for each character, which I assume it will get into.

I am sure they have everything planned out by now. They just don't want to be called out on milking the fans.

Hope for the best then. I'm interested because even though Japanese games are super cringeworthy they do occasionally have some brilliant moments and offer some connection to a theme or setting.

I'm interested, but I've been bit pre-ordering. I was a big fan of the original. I don't think it was the second coming of Christ in video game form, but it was a good game and I put a lot of hours in it when it came out.

Waiting for release - will see exactly how much content is there. I don't mind paying full price for an episodic release, so long as there's enough meat there to make it worthwhile.

But I don't pre-order any more. (FFXIV 1.0 -- looking at you)

I'm still not entirely sure how they're going to break up the game. Midgar is probably like a quarter of the first disc...

Is the complete saga going to literally be some 300h masterpiece? My biggest question is if it'll be a smooth transition to the next episode or do you just start from scratch again?

I'm still not entirely sure how they're going to break up the game. Midgar is probably like a quarter of the first disc...

Is the complete saga going to literally be some 300h masterpiece? My biggest question is if it'll be a smooth transition to the next episode or do you just start from scratch again?

That is what I am wondering. Obviously the original game was one big part, but you'll need tutorials and whatnot to get people up to speed if the episodes are released far from each other. 6 months later I won't remember the controls for a game and probably forget many of the small details. So you need a proper conclusion and build up partway through which will change the pacing up.

For all we know this Midgar section could be 30 or so hours, but the rest of the game could be done in 60 hours. Maybe they could only expand that first section of the game lore wise.

New combat mode announced at TGS: Classic Mode. Classic Mode harkens back a bit to the old ATB system. The characters will auto-attack with their normal attacks and the ATB gauge will fill on its own. In this mode the player just selects commands from the ATB menu, there is no need to engage with the action part of the combat system.

When you have summon materia equipped doing attacks fills a summon gauge. When it is full you can cast the summon spell. Summons stay in the battle after being called and keep fighting. The AI controls them, but the player can use the ATB menu to command them to us special abilities and moves. The summon gauge will go down and when it is empty the summon uses their ultimate move and then leaves the battle. Every character can equip one summon.

Wow! that is looking really good. The new battle system looks like a lot of fun.

edit: also lol when it gets knocked down and Tifa spends the next 15 seconds punching it straight in the asshole while it seizes on the floor in agony

Last edited:
I hope you can further upgrade and enhance the number of belts everyone wears.

Barrett having 5 on his torso only serves to excite me for the possibility of doubling if not quadrupling that number over the course of our Midgarian escapades.

All the hype I had for this game is gone now. They had to screw with the combat system. They couldn’t just do a modern remake, they had to overhaul a key point in the game making it a new game. I’m disappointed.

All the hype I had for this game is gone now. They had to screw with the combat system. They couldn’t just do a modern remake, they had to overhaul a key point in the game making it a new game. I’m disappointed.
Derangel's post above says there is a classic battle system more similar to the original.

I was worried about the combat initially but it looks pretty damn good so far honestly. I really like the hybrid kind of approach they took.

I just saw that they are releasing the game in parts. The first part will basically just be Midgar and you will have to buy every part as its own stand alone package. What happened to buying a game and getting the entire game? This isn't even DLC, this is just a cash grab. Screw everything about this remake, I'll just stick to the original, which you can now get for about the same price as 1/5 of the remake. Fucking Sony.

It's not a 6 hour romp like Midgar in the original game. It's supposed to be substantially extended into a full length game on it's own.

As for how that'll play out, we'll see I guess.

I just saw that they are releasing the game in parts. The first part will basically just be Midgar and you will have to buy every part as its own stand alone package. What happened to buying a game and getting the entire game? This isn't even DLC, this is just a cash grab. Screw everything about this remake, I'll just stick to the original, which you can now get for about the same price as 1/5 of the remake. Fucking Sony.

depends on how it’s done. Supposedly
Midgar will be a 30hr campaign - which is on par with a typical single player AAA game. I have no problem with it being episodic so long as it makes sense. The Telltale games were a good example of it working ok, or how expansions work on an MMO - no problems ponying up for that type of content.

given the track record they have with XIV and XV, I am cautiously optimistic this won’t be a bad thing

Midgar will be a 30hr campaign - which is on par with a typical single player AAA game. I have no problem with it being episodic so long as it makes sense. The Telltale games were a good example of it working ok, or how expansions work on an MMO - no problems ponying up for that type of content.

given the track record they have with XIV and XV, I am cautiously optimistic this won’t be a bad thing
The Telltale games are episodic but one price got you the entire season. Each season was $25 each I believe also? SE going to charge $60 for each part guaranteed. They just going to milk the fans and cant believe you people ok with it... If $60 gets your all the episodes then I am ok with it but they won't do it that way.

The Telltale games are episodic but one price got you the entire season. Each season was $25 each I believe also? SE going to charge $60 for each part guaranteed. They just going to milk the fans and cant believe you people ok with it... If $60 gets your all the episodes then I am ok with it but they won't do it that way.

They’re really not episodes either. It os more like a game and sequels. At least if they do a good job with each part.

They’re really not episodes either. It os more like a game and sequels. At least if they do a good job with each part.
No it is not ~.~. I swear people's nostalgia for this game making people blind to how SE is bending people over. Game companies like to really over estimate the game time and watch this will be only 15 hour when it comes out. and only 15 hour cause these boss fight seem to drag on a lot long then the originals. SE hasn't done anything in the past 10 years to earn such trust.

If, and if, it is a 30 hour game $60 is justifiable. That is plenty of time for a full length game. Just depends on they fill out the 30 hours and if it has a proper ending and all that.

No it is not ~.~. I swear people's nostalgia for this game making people blind to how SE is bending people over. Game companies like to really over estimate the game time and watch this will be only 15 hour when it comes out. and only 15 hour cause these boss fight seem to drag on a lot long then the originals. SE hasn't done anything in the past 10 years to earn such trust.

There is a reason I said "At least if they do a good job with each part". I'm 100% buying part 1. After that, we'll see.

Meh. It is rehash garbage. Good for a month and you done everything.
This is what was being referred to:

https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix...ounce-staff-changes-and-free-trial-extension/

Squee completely owned up to the very poor state XIV was released in and took the time to redesign it while also losing money doing it.

Later, when XIV was relaunched and was suffering from connection issues they again came out and owned up to their mistakes, what was happening, and how it was being addressed.

upload_2019-9-25_10-34-53.png

When XV was released later they were upfront about the game not being complete and that it would evolve and change over the years. It is a very good game in its current state that is easy to lose hours in.

This is what was being referred to:

https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix...ounce-staff-changes-and-free-trial-extension/

Squee completely owned up to the very poor state XIV was released in and took the time to redesign it while also losing money doing it.

Later, when XIV was relaunched and was suffering from connection issues they again came out and owned up to their mistakes, what was happening, and how it was being addressed.

View attachment 189339

When XV was released later they were upfront about the game not being complete and that it would evolve and change over the years. It is a very good game in its current state that is easy to lose hours in.
Not really. I played it at 1.0 til shadowbringers. They been following basically the same formula since ARR launched. They even dumb down the jobs even more in the last expansion. Game has grown very stale. End game is rehash if you can call it end game. Pickup groups are clearing Savage fights within 2 weeks now. I preferred 1.0 compare to what XIV is now. Neither compares to the XI.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-screenshots
(nice to see the proper spelling of "Aerith" being used)

Square Enix did a big dump of screenshots and little snippets of additional information, including revealing that "Classic Mode" is the same battle mode, just adding an ATB gauge allowing "special actions" to be selected when full while your characters continue attacking automatically. You can also see in the description on the bottom state that this is an additional layer on top of Easy difficulty. So this isn't an ATB turn-based battle mode in any sense. Maybe it should be called "Journalist" mode instead. :shifty:
upload_2019-12-5_14-41-7.png

Is it just me, or does Wedge look like a chick with hairy arms? :ROFLMAO:
upload_2019-12-5_14-40-13.png

One of the more interesting details revealed is that weapons will come with "core" materia that can be upgraded to improve their stats.
upload_2019-12-5_14-44-8.png

Weapons also come with unique abilities that can be unlocked for global use through proficiency.
upload_2019-12-5_14-47-27.png

Is it just me, or do moogles look like koalas? (n)
upload_2019-12-5_14-48-21.png

More screenshots and tidbits of info in the link above.

Back