Few thoughts on my TEC cooling

noskill

n00b
Here's what I have ATM:

Hardware:

P4 2.6 (sucks ass), will go for 3.0 Prescott in next few days
ASUS P4C800
2 x 512 Kingston DDR400 RAM (ValueRAM :D )
ATI 9800 XT

Cooling:

MCW5002-PT, 226W TEC on CPU, powered by Meanwell S320
MCW50-T, 80W TEC on GPU, powered by aux ATX PSU
MCP600 rev2 pump
RAD676 with 2 x 120mm Mechatronics G1125S fans, 55 CFM @ 25 dBA

Temps:

CPU: -10C idle, +5C load
GPU: latest RivaTuner shows up +65C / +61C (core/ambient) :confused: WTF? My northbridge with MCX159 is 33C! Any ideas on this?

So I'm going for a 3.0 Prescott (SL7KB to be exact) next days, maybe even today. Hoping to get at least 3.6+ speed, since it was already tested with stock HSF at that speed.

I'm hesitant a bit about having oc'ed Prescott with about ~120 of heat and just a 226 TEC. There will be ~31C difference between cold and hot sides, so if I'll have a coolant at 30C, it will be +1C on cold plate, then you can make idea what kind of temps will be on core. I think that will be around +25, we'll see that.

I also decided to grab a 176W Peltier unit to replace that one in MCW50-T. That unit is called Drift and rated at 11.3A @ 24.6V. I think I will get a Meanwell S320-24 if you won't give me a better idea ;)

However, this means more heat to dispasse and, truly saying, I don't really like my coolant temp, it is about +40C.

Possible solutions:

Grab a second radiator. How shoudl I put it to get best results? I think to put it in parralel with first one. What radiator I should get? I think about another RAD676 to make my setup look OK with similar rads.

How about getting Black Ice Xtreme III with three 120mm fans?

#3, very radical
Get two Black Ice Xteme III, and one more pump. Then make one loop which cools CPU with 2x Black Ice and second loop (with own pump) connected to RAD676. How do you like this? :D

Please give me any thoughts you might have on this.

I'd suggest running two loops...the heat will just compound, because remember you add the heat your componets make to the heat of the pelts, and run that in the water they'll just keep warming each other(not infinatly, but its definatly pretty bad. I wouldn't underpower the pelts thats for sure(not saying that you did), but thats a bad idea if it happens. Running the pelts out of spec is bad too, for thier perfomance and life. I put an 80W pelt on my 6800, which puts it in the range of the pelts rated value, and it cooled to ~-5oC ambient before i added my prescott to the loop, now the GPU runs at about the same cooling as my air did, but doesn't move up as much. So using a pelt upwards of half the value isn't a great idea, but it should work. I'm sure you know a lot about pelts, so don't take something I say over what you know to be true, you seem like you know what ur doing.

Another piece of advice is if its cheaper to get a second meanwell, rig it up in paralell(or was it series...) and they can run 24V together. Might not be cheaper, and it requries more space.

I would also recommend the 3rd option. Obviously it is going to be the safest way to go, you are going to have a lot less "questionable" overclocking headroom. That is when you are overclocking and meet some instability you can be more confident it isnt due to heat on the core or gpu and rather due to something else.

Yes, 3rd option is good, but then I need to spend about $100 on rad and another $80 on pump :(

I want to try adding second radiator with 100 CFM fans and 172W TEC to GPU and see what happens :)

TEC is ~9A @ 24V. I'm going to use two ATX PSUs and save up to $60 with no need to buy Meanwell. I mean, c'mon, if I'll sum up everything I spent on this PC, I would be somewhere near VapoChill price ;)

How should I put rads? In series or in parallel? I think I'll try both options, but just in case you tried that... :rolleyes:

Also keep in mind that 80watt peltier is only running at 12v. I guess taking maybe 55watt heat is being performed from core. As for radiator, the efficiency goes drastically up as actual water temp goes up. (delta of water vs ambient) I say #2 is good choice and also, change the pelt on MCW-50 for something heavier load.

jinu117 said:
Also keep in mind that 80watt peltier is only running at 12v. I guess taking maybe 55watt heat is being performed from core. As for radiator, the efficiency goes drastically up as actual water temp goes up. (delta of water vs ambient) I say #2 is good choice and also, change the pelt on MCW-50 for something heavier load.

How do you think, will two RAD676 from Swiftech with two 95 CFM fans on each do the trick? I.e. will they be capable of dissipating about 560 Watts of heatload? (226 + 172 + 60 + 100)

Those fans are 35 dB. My current ones are 25 dB. Is there a big difference in noise? I don't want to hear rocket engine again (had Spark7+, no way for such noise)

noskill said:
How do you think, will two RAD676 from Swiftech with two 95 CFM fans on each do the trick? I.e. will they be capable of dissipating about 560 Watts of heatload? (226 + 172 + 60 + 100)

Those fans are 35 dB. My current ones are 25 dB. Is there a big difference in noise? I don't want to hear rocket engine again (had Spark7+, no way for such noise)

Noise... meh... You are expecting easily twice louder to more :p When I had MCW-5000PT with 9800 pro on MCW-50t I believe I had 2 heatercore for CPU loop and 1 BIX for 9800 pro. CPU temp were somewhere between -10c to 10c and gpu... i really don't know but memory was cool to touch. BIX really didn't get that hot (overkill) neither did heatercore. It was an overkill system. Do you have your seprate room AC as it will be uncomfortable? Reason I moved to phasechange. Not as much heat output as peltiers do. If you haven't gone too far, I say sell the stuff and look for used mach I or mach II. I believe I spent close to $600 on peltier setups in my time. This phasecooling would have been much better investment back than :)

Noise... meh... You are expecting easily twice louder to more :p

sorry, i'm not getting what did you mean with that...

When I had MCW-5000PT with 9800 pro on MCW-50t I believe I had 2 heatercore for CPU loop and 1 BIX for 9800 pro. CPU temp were somewhere between -10c to 10c and gpu... i really don't know but memory was cool to touch. BIX really didn't get that hot (overkill) neither did heatercore. It was an overkill system.

well, i have the very same setup as you see. My CPU temps are also in that range (however, after moving to Prescott I expect max temp about +20), but GPU memory isn't cool. Instead, it is HOT. Guess I can get at least 5-8 deg more with second radiator. Which means cold side will be colder by those 5-8 degrees.

Do you have your seprate room AC as it will be uncomfortable?

why it should be? noise? heat?

Reason I moved to phasechange. Not as much heat output as peltiers do. If you haven't gone too far, I say sell the stuff and look for used mach I or mach II. I believe I spent close to $600 on peltier setups in my time. This phasecooling would have been much better investment back than

yeah, phasechange will be my next thing, but not now. Maybe in a few months when I'll get enough cash for that.

Selling TEC here is very tricky. I live ouside USA if you know what it means ;)

Getting second rad and 172W Pelt requires about $90-100. I can afford that to make my existing cooling a way better ;)

Back