Fermi GeForce GTX 360 and 380 Benchmarks

apoppin

Pre-Knowing the Pre-Knew Previously
EDITED AGAIN 12/24
since this thread refuses to die

This little tidbit appeared on NVIDIA’s Facebook fan page last night:

http://www.facebook.com/NVIDIA

NVIDIA Happy Holidays GeForce fans! Fun fact: GF100 supports a brand new 32x anti-aliasing mode for ultra high-quality gaming!

what do they mean?

surely NOT 32X MSAA
:eek:

they already have 32xS and 32x SLI-AA and if they mean 32xCSAA that means they probably also have 16xMSAA

================
EDITED:

Since i cannot edit this topic's title, THESE BENCHES ARE FAKE; they are not leaked Nvidia slides. It has been debunked elsewhere by Focus Group members
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm surprised no one posted this yet:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/geforce-gtx-360-and-380-benchmarks/
The slides reveal internal NVIDIA benchmarks of Far Cry 2, Resident Evil 5 and STALKER Clear Sky. Now this remains speculation, but if the numbers are right, then the future is looking bright and sunny for NVIDIA -- well if they get their pricing and TDP right that is.

Grab your salt shakers; may be true, may be BS

Last edited:
Derived from the XBOX 360 Joke:

"You know why they call it the GTX 360?
You see it. Turn 360°s. And walk away."

"But wait, wouldn't you just be walking..."

"Trust me. I know my degrees! I'm a skateboarder!"
------------
as for on topic:
I think its good to finally see -something- on nVidia's side.
but i'm definatley taking those benchies with salt

Lotsa salt here, but also the realization that these benchmarks are about what Fermi has to perform like to keep up with AMD's upcoming refresh.

I think they need the cards to be at least this fast. It's pretty clear that it isn't going to be a lightweight card, but rather something that will probably use as much power as a 5970. If it wasn't faster it wouldn't be anything more than another FX5800 - people probably would have put up with the deficiencies of that card also if it regularly outperformed it's rival.

But I also wonder if they can so easily beat the ATI cards like that, why aren't they publicly releasing performance numbers? Literally half the people I know are getting a new 5xxx series ATI card for the holidays this year, and I would assume many would put those plans on hold if they knew it was just going to be replaced as the new top-tog pretty quick with Fermi. I would think nvidia would jump at the chance to ruin ATI/AMD holiday sales.

Wow, but is the gtx380 a single gpu card? If it is, that would be amazing. Imagine a single gpu card schooling a 5970....insane. :eek:

Wow, but is the gtx380 a single gpu card? If it is, that would be amazing. Imagine a single gpu card schooling a 5970....insane. :eek:

If they're keeping the same naming scheme, then yes. GTX280 is single GPU as is 285. Dual-GPU would be the GTX395.

bright & sunny? I guess. those that ike nvidia more than ati, for whatever reason, will be glad to have an nvidia part that will finally beat (if the numbers are right) the 5870 flagship. however, since these will show up 6 months after ati had this level of performance, they're either going to have to get better number than these, or shorten their release cycle over the next few generational releases to catch up. being 6 months behind and matching performance at their new product launch will make some people happy, but i think of it as a lackluster launch, even at these numbers, TDP, and expected price. this is not a win. and since these will show 6 months after the 5870, i don't even consider it a tie.

nvidia is down on their chips. this isn't a win, and they need a win.

If they're keeping the same naming scheme, then yes. GTX280 is single GPU as is 285. Dual-GPU would be the GTX395.

This might be my next card, especially after all the 5800 series availability problem and price increases.

I doubt we will see these cards until 2010 though.

If it releases in January, what a short run for ATI to be on top.

But...only working silicon Nvidia so far has is A2 and that hasn't been able to go past 500Mhz.

Remember Fermi is supposed to be like 40-45% faster then Cypress if it hits 750Mhz stock so do the math here...I bet these are theoretical projected benchmarks if they can get Fermi to run at 750Mhz.

Still the numbers look freaking awesome...I wonder how well a single GTX 380 will run Crysis.

This might be my next card, especially after all the 5800 series availability problem and price increases.

lol. Both are made at TSMC using the same 40nm process, which is the cause of the availability issues, so there is every reason to believe that it would affect nvidia just as much as ATI. It's sort of silly to complain about availability issues when the competitor's product doesn't even exist in retail yet; that's sort of taking "availability problem" to the next level, don't you think?

And Price increases? GTX295 is still almost as expensive as a 5970 and has always been more expensive than the 5870 for no good reason, and that is an old part at this point. What makes you think Fermi is going to be any kind of bargain?

I doubt we will see these cards until 2010 though.

2010 is only 2-3 weeks away, that's not much of an estimate at this point.

bright & sunny? I guess. those that ike nvidia more than ati, for whatever reason, will be glad to have an nvidia part that will finally beat (if the numbers are right) the 5870 flagship. however, since these will show up 6 months after ati had this level of performance, they're either going to have to get better number than these, or shorten their release cycle over the next few generational releases to catch up. being 6 months behind and matching performance at their new product launch will make some people happy, but i think of it as a lackluster launch, even at these numbers, TDP, and expected price. this is not a win. and since these will show 6 months after the 5870, i don't even consider it a tie.

I don't see how you would call a theoretical release like this lackluster especially if the gtx380 is a single gpu beating a dual gpu 5970....essentially dual 5870s. That would put Nvidia way ahead of ATI IMO.

It is probably fake anyways. What is so hard about replicating the Nvidia slides like said forum user did? I wouldn't get all worked up about it.

I like how the GTX 295 beats the 5870 in every test too :p. I am pretty sure i've seen many reviews showing benchmarks where the 5870 beats the 295 in Crysis.

It would be nice if they are released with this sort of performance. It'll be just around the time for an ATI refresh which works out wonderfully for every consumer. I hope these statements do come true as this kind of power teamed with price competition would be great indeed

I don't see how you would call a theoretical release like this lackluster especially if the gtx380 is a single gpu beating a dual gpu 5970....essentially dual 5870s. That would put Nvidia way ahead of ATI IMO.

this is an unsubstantiated speculative report from an unconfirmed source. your posting style is for all things fanboy. that you occasionally ask real questions in other people's threads is probably the only real reason you didn't get banned like Sonda5 did. that's all i'm going to say about your post.

I'm guessing here but...
I wouldn't go so far. The market isn't just desktop graphics. Nvidia's mobile cards are doing just fine, if not even better. I would look at the 40nm mobile cards and compare right now. Nvidia just released a shit ton of 40nm cards with ATI only a few. If you want to see where the 40nm is being used, I'd look there, not desktop graphics cards.

For Nvidia to get more 40nm desktop graphics cards they need only to stop the mobile cards and make desktop, but that wouldn't be advantageous at all. So, they've got a choice, notebooks or desktops. I think the answer is easy, keep up with the already good notebook sales, refine the desktop cards, and bide their time. When TSMC ramps up production and the yields are good, making for better cost, they'll be there with a much more mature card that will seamlessly be added to production.

It's too early for April fools so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

It's too early for April fools so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Well, i posted it that way.

i am not even sure it will be called GTX anything :p
- wasn't Nvidia going to call it their new Fermi-based GPUs GF-100 ?

Do not ask us how or where these benchmarks source/originate from as we do not know. For all we care they are fake. However, a user in our forums posted screenshots of benchmarks from what seems to be a NVIDIA Slide Deck presentation. I can confirm that the layout and style is exactly what NVIDIA uses for it's presentations.

needs a large grain of salt. nice if its true though

this is an unsubstantiated speculative report from an unconfirmed source. your posting style is for all things fanboy. that you occasionally ask real questions in other people's threads is probably the only real reason you didn't get banned like Sonda5 did. that's all i'm going to say about your post.

I did state 'theoretical release.' I am skeptical of this article and the performance numbers. I can't imagine nvidia releasing a single gpu card faster than a 5970. If that did happen(any time soon) then ATI would essentially be a generation behind again. A refresh would not allow ati to catch up....they will be basically be trying to beat a single nvidia gpu with two gpus once again. So like another said, lots of salt.

People seem to have a lot of excess salt scattered around their houses. :p

Wow, if these are true then we are looking at an upgrade akin to the G80 when it debuted. However, I'm skeptical that even the 2nd tier card is beating the GTX295 and the 5970. It just seems way too good to be true... (though it would explain why it's been taking Nvidia so long with development)

A single GPU card with more power than the 5970 would be great but I don't see it happening, too good to be true. Nvidia was late with the FX series and look how that turned out. The only way these benchmarks would make sense is if the GTX380 is in fact a dual GPU part.

If this thread isn't enough for Atech to re-register with a different name, I don't know what will. lol

I'm guessing here but...
I wouldn't go so far. The market isn't just desktop graphics. Nvidia's mobile cards are doing just fine, if not even better. I would look at the 40nm mobile cards and compare right now. Nvidia just released a shit ton of 40nm cards with ATI only a few. If you want to see where the 40nm is being used, I'd look there, not desktop graphics cards.

For Nvidia to get more 40nm desktop graphics cards they need only to stop the mobile cards and make desktop, but that wouldn't be advantageous at all. So, they've got a choice, notebooks or desktops. I think the answer is easy, keep up with the already good notebook sales, refine the desktop cards, and bide their time. When TSMC ramps up production and the yields are good, making for better cost, they'll be there with a much more mature card that will seamlessly be added to production.

Nvidia has had their licensing issue with Intel, preventing them from developing chipsets (and selling them) for anything other than the Atom platform. They have announced the cessation of development for AMD based platforms, and now they're losing their asses to ATI/AMD on the desktop GPU front, since they're still months from a 3xx product launch. Sure, they have CUDA, Tesla, and Quadro, but those are not high volume parts. Where they have traditionally done well, they currently have a fraction of their product line on the market. If you think they're not hurting from this, I think you are wrong.

Would be nice if intel started making graphics cards. There needs to be another competitor, because in this market, if one guy slacks off, the consumer gets hurt big time. This Nvidia/ATI monopoly has been going on for way too long Sir.

More pertinent question is how much will this beast of a card cost? If the GTX380 matches or exceeds the cost of a 5970, AMD just has to release a refreshed version of the 5970 which matches the speed but maybe a slightly lower price and bam, they're competitive again.

Tesla was released and it is fermi-based. It would be logical that nvidia's set of cards would be released some time soon, within the next 1-6 months.

I'll wait for the reviews. I definitely wouldn't let something like this hold me back on buying a 5800 series card though.

slides seem so 'simple' for nvidia its really hard to believe that this are really made by nvidia themselves

Back