Female Lead Cut From Assassin's Creed Unity

HardOCP News

[H] News
So much for getting through the day without one of these stories. :(

"It was on our feature list until not too long ago, but it's a question of focus and production," Therien explained. "So we wanted to make sure we had the best experience for the character. A female character means that you have to redo a lot of animation, a lot of costumes [inaudible]. It would have doubled the work on those things. And I mean it's something the team really wanted, but we had to make a decision... It's unfortunate, but it's a reality of game development."

I think it would be really interesting to have a female lead in a core AC game

I have this weird affinity for female characters (assuming they're done right), but who gives a shit? Let the developer do what the fuck they want and shut up.

Not sure how genitals would affect an AC game.

Cuz women had a completely identical role throught history to men, so having a female lead in a series centered around historical fiction would have absolutely no impact on the story or gameplay :rolleyes:

So, basically it would require too much work from just copy pasta previous game assets and -- despite it being a story decision that they obviously thought should have some merit -- eff that make money.

So a game publisher is cost sensitive in an industry that exists to make money. That pretty isn't a gender-related issue, but a money one and besides, who cares, it's just a game.

In a game like this it's pretty much all just visual. You run around with your hood up 90% of the time anyways.

So, basically it would require too much work from just copy pasta previous game assets and -- despite it being a story decision that they obviously thought should have some merit -- eff that make money.

So, yeah, pretty much. I love it when they admit they can't be arsed to bother with content because it would be work.

Cuz women had a completely identical role throught history to men, so having a female lead in a series centered around historical fiction would have absolutely no impact on the story or gameplay :rolleyes:

Thank god you're here to battle the evils of feminism. I mean historical fiction can be about a time travelling group of assassins from the future, but one of them having a vagina is going TOO FAR! TOO FAR!

Thank god you're here to battle the evils of feminism. I mean historical fiction can be about a time travelling group of assassins from the future, but one of them having a vagina is going TOO FAR! TOO FAR!

I think he was being sarcastic, unless you are being sarcastic about his sarcasm.

That's an awfully silly statement. Also doesn't answer the question. I mean, if we're talking about a female character drawing more attention from the surrounding populace and therefore making stealth more difficult or the story more complex, you could accomplish that by making them North African...or a midget...or an alien. Either way, it'd be the same transparent token usage in order to claim "new elements". Swap it out with any category and you'd accomplish the same thing. I guess the only difference is that all those other demographics aren't spending time complaining that they aren't being properly represented in a game series about bloodline-linked murderers effectively taking part in a long-term holy war. Lord knows everyone wants to be seen as that at some point in their lives.

In a game like this it's pretty much all just visual. You run around with your hood up 90% of the time anyways.

Yes, but if you knew your character was female, you could look at the hood and feel all the suffering and pain and humiliation of the patriarchy as you kill men left and right with impunity.

That's an awfully silly statement. Also doesn't answer the question. I mean, if we're talking about a female character drawing more attention from the surrounding populace and therefore making stealth more difficult or the story more complex, you could accomplish that by making them North African...or a midget...or an alien. Either way, it'd be the same transparent token usage in order to claim "new elements". Swap it out with any category and you'd accomplish the same thing. I guess the only difference is that all those other demographics aren't spending time complaining that they aren't being properly represented in a game series about bloodline-linked murderers effectively taking part in a long-term holy war. Lord knows everyone wants to be seen as that at some point in their lives.

Have you ever played one of these games? The storylines involve interaction with historical figures and other non-assassins in the given setting. Obviously the social status of the character has an impact on the story. Did you play the freedom cry DLC for Black Flag? Do you doubt that the protagonist's race had something to do with the story? You know there's more to these games than just sneaking around generic populated area and neck-stabbing dudes right?

Have you ever played one of these games?

Just 1, 2, and 3. Haven't gotten around to the Black Flag one yet.

The storylines involve interaction with historical figures and other non-assassins in the given setting. Obviously the social status of the character has an impact on the story.

Oh yeah. Connor's being a bloodthirsty savage came up all the time that Haytham was on screen and pretty much none of the other time. Huge impact.

You know there's more to these games than just sneaking around generic populated area and neck-stabbing dudes right?

I forgot entirely about collectibles. Mea culpa.

Guy has to be wrong about everything, even something as stupid as this. It must be exhausting.

So a game publisher is cost sensitive in an industry that exists to make money. That pretty isn't a gender-related issue, but a money one and besides, who cares, it's just a game.

Costs don't make you money. Profit makes you money. You'll sell more games and make more profit if you appeal to a wider audience.

I don't care if it the lead was going to be a woman or a panda bear in the next AC. The fact the either would be cut solely for profit/time reasons at the detriment of whatever story they managed to shoehorn into it says volumes about Ubisoft.

I remember thinking, after having murdered several redcoats in a massive battle in the center of town with dozens of witnesses, running away and ducking through a house, and walking through the exact same area with bodies everywhere and nobody seemed to bat an eye...I thought "I was afraid someone might call me a redskin. Thank Christ we live in the progressive era of 1783, and not the dark shadow of 1782."

Name calling is literally the only impact the race or gender of the main character has on the game's story.

I prefer to play as a male lead. Call me sexist, insecure, whatever. I don't care. But if I have an option I always pick a male. As do the vast majority of gamers given several statistics around the net I've read over the years.

In fairness I image animating perfect boob and butt jigle would take a lot of extra work and then u have to change walk for lower center of gravity add hip sway etc.

It's just more proof that they are just recycling shit from one game to the next and aren't even trying anymore.
A female character might actually add some badly needed life to the series.

Costs don't make you money. Profit makes you money. You'll sell more games and make more profit if you appeal to a wider audience.

You have the perfect answer. It's all about taking video game entertainment sales to new heights by appealing to a wider audience; doing so in a way that doesn't alienate your existing one or altering your vision of your game. I think they should have thrown out the "One game per year" mantra and took the time to stick to their original vision for the project. They delayed Watch Dogs and it didn't hurt sales at all. A few more months to create more buzz and generate even more revenue in Assassin's Creed wouldn't have hurt them.

Just an opinion. :)

I remember thinking, after having murdered several redcoats in a massive battle in the center of town with dozens of witnesses, running away and ducking through a house, and walking through the exact same area with bodies everywhere and nobody seemed to bat an eye...I thought "I was afraid someone might call me a redskin. Thank Christ we live in the progressive era of 1783, and not the dark shadow of 1782."

:D Made me laugh!

Might present a small chance to attract female players, though probably not exactly a huge number of them.

That's always amazing to me. "We're going to gain a ton of gamers who wouldn't have played the game without their in-game character matching their personal identity."

Yeah. Try that.

^ I apologise if that came off as derogatory. transgender is the term I should have used.

The female gamers I know play the games without even thinking about stupid shit like this.

And Tomb Raider was still played mostly by men. I don't get why things have to appeal to audiences that aren't that interested in them to begin with.

That's always amazing to me. "We're going to gain a ton of gamers who wouldn't have played the game without their in-game character matching their personal identity."

Yeah. Try that.

There was a British review of the original Tomb Raider where the author basically said "If you're going to stare at someone's bum for several hours, it may as well be a good looking woman's bum..." I tend to agree with 3rd person games. I play a lot of female characters. It also doesn't matter one bit if it's a male character, especially if that's how the story was written.

I'd wager it might be the same for female players in reverse.

Actually, I don't think most of the population gives a fuck, and it's only the sniveling few that have a problem with any of this. I say use the character that fits the story, and everything should take care of itself. Even if the character is over-the-top sexualized, if that is what it is SUPPOSED to be.

Yeah. Try that.
I did say a small chance.
Some people are funny that way, others aren't. Then again, most female characters in MMOs are male players who like to ogle their toons (they're probably Tomb Raider fans since you play as Lara). I'm probably considered odd since I prefer to play my gender (male) in MMOs, but it's not an issue to me if the game doesn't offer a choice of gender.

I'd wager it might be the same for female players in reverse.

I'm generalizing, but women don't get as stuck on visual stuff in relationship to sexuality so looking at a butt one kinda butt or another for however many hours it takes to finish a game isn't as important as it is for a guy.

I'm generalizing, but women don't get as stuck on visual stuff in relationship to sexuality so looking at a butt one kinda butt or another for however many hours it takes to finish a game isn't as important as it is for a guy.

Probably true. However, though like I said I'd lean a bit one way, it's not a big deal for me either.

Back