Feels good to me - U3014 for $999

There are no perfect monitors out there - trust me I've searched. I've been trying to find a good 27" 2560x1440 but every one suffers from something or the other. I'm looking at a PB278Q now that's great except at off-angles it looks like a TN panel (contrast glare, etc). I figure I'm willing to play the monitor roulette game with this one, since both the product support and pricing (with this deal) are excellent.

I've been staring at an old Sammy 305T+ for 5 years, the capacitors are going and it shuts off on me all the time. I don't need a perfect monitor, and I'm not a video-phile - I just need something that has lots of screen real estate and plays games well.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the PWM here than anything else...

in a few months I'll be looking for a "nice" monitor. Right now I have a 27" HP monitor and its "okay".

its only 1920x1080p so the pixels are a bit large for my liking, it has a rather narrow vertical view angle as well. It was cheap (400 dollars 2.5 years ago) light/thin but not anything special.

like fatguy said -- in my research it seems even when you are blowing 1000 dollars, you aren't guaranteed anything good, I've seen "cheapo" 2560x1440 monitors that people seem very happy with for 400 dollars, it really does seem to be random luck these days.

Used to have a dell 2405 ultrasharp back in the day -- loved that thing. Sad to see the Dell monitors going down in quality - for $1000 dollars for a 27" screen, I expect perfection.

Still a rip off

The 3014 has really obvious ghosting issues, high input lag except when using the game mode which has locked color settings and uses the displays native, wide gamut and more glow vs. normal 30" due to the GB-LED back-light.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u3014.htm#gaming

23" IPS have better, adjustable colors vs. the 3014's sRGB mode. The hardware calibration does not function properly either. If one just wants everything to look over-saturated and inaccurate (wide gamut) and then this might be ok.

Last edited:
Early adopters should get a deep discount with price increasing as the new tech stabilizes with price decreasing as the tech ages towards obsolescence. Lame how early adopters always seem to get the short end.

You're comparing a 23" to a 30"?

I think he's saying that cheaper 23" IPS monitors are producing a better picture than this monitor which costs 5x more, and to many people that is unacceptable when paying this type of money.

Back