Feedback or review for the Dell UP3216Q

Dear all,

I've reported my problems with the Dell UP3216Q (bad flickering when waking up from sleep mode) here in this thread 3 years ago. I finally found out what caused the problem: obviously, within a multi-monitor environment, the flickering is induced when you use monitors with different resolutions, in my case the UP3216Q together with the U3011.

I recently got another UP3216Q as replacement for the NEC that had replaced the U3011, and since then no more flickering after wake up from sleep mode. Amazing. I thought I should share this here in the forum for the folks with similar problems.

HTH
Cyana

Is this under Windows 10? My personal experience with Windows 10 (combined with Nvidia drivers) hasn't be positive either.

Just got this monitor, UP3216Q. Has anyone looked at the power usage in Standby? This replaced an aging 3008WPF. Power usage is great comparably, except for this baffling oddity -- when the monitor goes into Standby via Window 10 (and my 2070 Super), it still draws 23 watts. Turning the monitor off and back on again, it then detects no input and then goes into standby, only this time it's now only drawing 2 watts (as expected). I tried everything under the sun but can't figure out what's causing the 23 watt standby draw. My 3008 and my 2412 don't have this issue, only the UP3216Q. Unplugged USB, etc. No go. Only way to get proper standby power draw is turning off monitor and back on.

Anyone else experiencing this? I leave my box in Standby 24/7 so this unnecessary power draw adds up to costing me a lot of $$$.

Thanks,
Steve

Mine is on the way. What are you using to measure power draw? Kill-a-watt?

Mine is on the way. What are you using to measure power draw? Kill-a-watt?
a

A smart plug with energy monitoring. It's accurate as I've used it to measure other things. You have a killawatt and our soon getting this same monitor? Can't wait to compare. Will double check revision, but mne had 102 firmware so I think later revision. I updated firmware to 104 but still same issue. When does your arrive?

I have both kill-a watt and Zooz ZEN20 power strip with energy monitoring. We'll see how it compares when i get it.

Looking forward to your report. Can't find anything at all related on internet, but it's also not something anyone would realize unless they were specifically monitoring power usage. Pretty enlightening once you do and plug in your power rates. Now I have screen off at 5 mins and full standby at 15 in windows.

I got panel revision A03 and I updated to the latest firmware, mt104 (on Dell wevlb site).

That's pretty weak of Dell that they ship monitor with older firmware. I mean, it's not like that firmware was released yesterday (Feb 2019).

Actually, in this case good job to Dell. My monitor was manufactured in Aug 2017 and included latest firmware at the time MT102. Dell released updated MT104 firmware in Aug 2018. Just fixes some USB-C issue, nothing more, but props for letting end user update monitor firmware at all.

I also tried 2 different laptops in addition to desktop and same behavior. Standby induced by Windows does not put monitor in expected Standby power usage. Here are some stats to compare:

Std Preset, 75% Brightness, 75% Contrast 55w

Standby initiated by Windows 16w
Standby initiated by Monitor (no input) 3w
Monitor Off but plugged in 1w
USB3 Hub plugged in +1-2w

It's a pretty unique monitor and expensive, intended for graphic professionals. I'm sure wish it had variable refresh as my 2070 Super has a hard time putting out 60 frames/sec w/good eye candy.

According to Dell ETA is Dec 12, so I should have preliminary results that weekend.

Well, Dell's delivery ETA sucks. Monitor came in yesterday. It's revision A12, manufactured in October 2019, firmware M2T104.
When Windows puts monitor in standby mode, according to Kill-a-Watt, monitor draws 5W (fluctuates between 4.9W and 5W).
If I cycle monitor power while in Windows induced standby mode, power goes through few stages (22W, 2.5W) but it stabilizes again to 5W after about 10 seconds.
When I shut down Windows, but leave monitor on, after a few seconds it goes into power save mode, and draws 0W.

Ah, didn't get post notification so missed this until now. OK, so your experiencing similar behavior but not the 16 watt draw when Windows initiates monitor Standby like mine. 5w is totally acceptable, Do you have the USB hub connected? I think that adds a couple watts since it's powered when monitor is in standby but that's interesting about shutting windows down you get 0 watts. And that's with monitor still plugged in but are any of the USB ports still powered in that mode?

Regardless, your sample is behaving as expected and my UP3216Q is not behaving like yours so must be an issue w/my sample. Ugh, right now I'm waiting until computer fully sleeps then powering off and back on every night which is a huge pain. If I never checked it, I'd be none the wiser. 16 watts adds up to a lot of wasted money since I'm 24/7 standby mode.

P.S. what motivated you to go w/the UP3216Q vs. the newer and much cheaper U3219Q? The professional calibration was worth the $570 price difference?

Yes I have USB connected. Logitech web camera and Yeti microphone are plugged in. I don't know if USB is powered when Windows shuts down. I'd have to guess not, since Yeti has red LED and it blinks (mute) when Windows sleeps, but it's off when Windows shuts down.

It's not just hardware calibration capabilities. For photography, U3219Q on paper looks similar, but in person it is not. And it looks like I lucked out with UP3216Q. It's pixel perfect and brightness and color uniformity across the entire screen are within couple of %. Backlight bleed in corners is almost non existent. I don't know what I did to deserve it. And I got it for about $150 CAD over U3219Q sale price, so ... Short of 3-4x more expensive Eizo, I haven't seen anything that good in this size.

Awesome. My sample is pixel perfect too w/very little IPS edge bleed. If perfect for me regardless of calibration except for the standby power draw.

Quick update -- got a replacement from Dell and now power usage in standby problem solved. Replacement is much newer so maybe issue w/the early revisions. UP3216Q w/standby power draw problem was revision A02, manufactured Aug 2017. Replacement that behaves as expected w/3 watt soft standby is A12, manufactured Oct 2019.

No dead pixels on the replacement but horrible uniformity at factory defaults. Luckily, turning Uniformity Compensation from calibrated to OFF fixes it. No calibration report included either so may look into readrite even though I'm not a professional like yourself.

Back