Feedback on triple monitor configuration

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
I'm looking to configure a triple monitor setup using the popular chief stand.

I'm thinking 3x27" monitors for a 5760x1080 setup. I've always been a fan of 16:10, but it seems like those are definitely on their way out. I'm trying to keep the cost down while still getting good hardware. I'm thinking about 3 of these:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254093

Any thoughts on this monitor, the Chief stand, 16:9 vs 16:10, 2560x1600 vs 1080p, etc?

How far away are you from your monitors typically? I'm not sold on the value of 1080p on a 27in monitor.

Just pulled out tape measure. Sitting about 25" away from monitor. When you say not sold, you mean too few pixels spread over the 27"?

Just pulled out tape measure. Sitting about 25" away from monitor. When you say not sold, you mean too few pixels spread over the 27"?

Yeah. That ppi just doesn't work for me... but I'm already using 3x23" 1080p. Though the 2' distance does seem about right for 27" I suppose if you've been in a store and gotten a feel for it, then it might work out for you.

I prefer the triple screen more when not gaming just for productivity, but gaming is pretty great and the bezels don't bother me at all.

I'm having a near impossible time wading through all the different monitor options. I'm looking for 2x 24" or 3x 27", 1080p or 1920x1200, and a budget of $300/monitor, less would be nice though. Any recommendations?

You really get what you pay for... if 1080P is all you need, then you have alot of options that are reasonably priced.

Which chief stand are you talking about? I personally use 3 ergotron lx arms for my 3x24" setup

At $300 each, I'd encourage you to consider the 1080p 120Hz route, or jump to a single main 27 2560x1440 monitor and a single or two side monitors for extended desktop.

3x 16:9 is way too wide i think
you may wanna cut out some pieces of cardboard (1:1 scale) to see if you're fine with it before buying

3x 16:9 is way too wide i think
you may wanna cut out some pieces of cardboard (1:1 scale) to see if you're fine with it before buying

I have been wondering about that. It just seems there's not all that much difference between 3x16:9 and 3x16:10. That said, I do currently have 2x24" monitors (getting pretty long in the tooth by now). One is 16:10, and the other is 16:9, and there's definitely a difference.

I've been torn on the refresh rate. I can't say I find 60FPS lacking, are there other reasons to consider 120hz?

Having read the reviews and demoing 120hz, i cant say that it is a deal breaker for me. At your resolution, youd need some serious hardware to push it at true 120hz. To my understanding, you need a dl-dvi for 120hz, so at least two graphics card. I have a 1080p 27inch that i love, i dont know the panel, but fantastic viewing angles. I plan to use it with my future 30 inch monitor that i plan to buy for a christmas/black friday gift to myself.

Gl

FYI, I run 3x 1080p @ 120Hz and all via Displayport. It really depends what you want, but if at all possible it sounds like you should check out a store to see what 120Hz feels like (great on the desktop, not just in games; and anything over 60Hz means it is worth it).

I'd say consider moving to a single center 2560x1440 monitor (60Hz for ~$300 if you're fine with it) and use the others you have on the sides for extended desktop. Then take a couple hundred and pick up another 6950 if you setup can handle it and I think you'll get a decent experience from that.

You're referring to the Korean monitors that have been popular lately?

Yep. Or pay a little more and shop from a U.S. based company like Overlord or Nixeus.

But they definitely seem like a viable upgrade. And excuse to upgrade other stuff later... and then cycle continues...

Back