Feedback on a build greatly appreciated.

ochoco

n00b
The last pc I built, the one I am currently using, was in 2012 and I have not kept up on the current trends.

My current hardware includes:

Case – ATCS 840

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W BX80637I73770K Desktop Processor Intel HD ...

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectX 11 GTX670-DC2-2GD5 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I would guess that just about anything I put together will feel like an upgrade though I would like to make sure I do not end up with anything that will not play nicely together or be missing something that might work better for what I’m doing.

I am looking to spend no more than 1500 max and the lower the better though if history tells me anything I will not upgrade again for quite a while….

My computer is mainly used for gaming and the normal day to day family life.

The configuration I was looking at is: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YLYV27

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler

MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Plan on using my existing case. ATCS 840

Also using my 2 old HP Compaq LA2306x Monitors.

Dont forget about the monitor, With nice new hardware, I suggest at least a nice 1080p high refresh freesync, IPS panel at the minimum.

I am not a fan of the Hyper 212 black edition for $40 on Amazon, personally I would go for something like the Sycthe Mugen Rev.B For $49.

I would avoid the older chipset and get a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard same price and better overall especially compatibility with memory.

Dont forget about the monitor, With nice new hardware, I suggest at least a nice 1080p high refresh freesync, IPS panel at the minimum.

I am not a fan of the Hyper 212 black edition for $40 on Amazon, personally I would go for something like the Sycthe Mugen Rev.B For $49.

I plan on upgrading my monitor not to far down the road. Figured I would just upgrade one and still use the other for my second monitor for my browsers/social media and such. I'm not very familiar with the coolers and didn't figure I need anything fancy as I am not overclocking but I will look into the one you suggested. Thanks.

I would avoid the older chipset and get a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard same price and better overall especially compatibility with memory.

I am not familiar wiht ASRock products. I will check it out though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Just a heads up in case you don't know, It is my understanding the B480 bios has to be the 7B85v17 released 2019-07-10 or newer to support a 3000 series Ryzen CPUs if its not then the system will not boot. The only work around unless bios flash back works w/o CPU, would be to use any 2000 series CPU to update the bios and then install the 3600. There has been 4 bios updates since that one, 7B85v1B released 2019-11-13 being the latest bios. I have no experience with that board or it's bios so I can not vouch for any of those bios stability.

MSI is my favorite brand so very familiar with there boards and bios, but I ended up with the Asus on my current build due to a to good to be true deal I took advantage of.
I still think you'd be better served by a x570 board if you haven't bought one yet.
Have you looked at the MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ? it's only 10 bucks more right now on Amazon and you'd have a better/newer/more compatible chipset, better CPU & memory overclocking, PCIe Gen4 support, USB 3.2 port, Pre-installed IO shielding, and possibly better longevity/future proofing.

Have you looked at the MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ? it's only 10 bucks more right now on Amazon and you'd have a better/newer/more compatible chipset, better CPU & memory overclocking, PCIe Gen4 support, USB 3.2 port, Pre-installed IO shielding, and possibly better longevity/future proofing.
The problem is that MSI messed up big time with its lower-end X570 motherboards. All of the MSI X570 motherboards under $300 have crappy VRMs which heat up to far higher temperatures than those of other X570 motherboards in that same price range, even at stock CPU speeds (especially with CPUs that have a TDP greater than 65W). In fact, that MPG board can barely handle a stock-speed 3700X (with its 65W TDP) as manufactured. All of the MSI X570 motherboards that do not have either the "MEG" or the "Prestige" designation suffer from that craptacular VRM design. The MEG X570 Unify is the least expensive MSI X570 motherboard that should even be considered, especially if one is going to upgrade to a used 3900X or 3950x a couple of years down the road.

And not all budget X570 motherboards are equally craptastic. I have an Asus Prime X570-P, which is actually pretty good in quality for its $150-ish price although more expensive motherboards are better.

Last edited:
Back