Feds Unlock iPhone 5C Used By San Bernardino Terrorist

HardOCP News

[H] News
So, if I understand this correctly, Apple started out refusing to unlock the iPhone even though the courts ordered the company to unlock the device. The feds then battle back and forth with Apple in court for a few weeks only to drop all requests at the last minute. The iPhone is unlocked in a few days by a mysterious 3rd party. Seems like the feds will just skip right to the last step and avoid all the hassle next time. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

"We sought an order compelling Apple to help unlock the phone to fulfill a solemn commitment to the victims of the San Bernardino shooting -- that we will not rest until we have fully pursued every investigative lead related to the vicious attack," Eileen M. Decker, US attorney for the Central District of California, said in a statement. "Although this step in the investigation is now complete, we will continue to explore every lead, and seek any appropriate legal process, to ensure our investigation collects all of the evidence related to this terrorist attack. The San Bernardino victims deserve nothing less."

I unlocked it and it was wiped. I told the feds from the get go that it was probably wiped since it wasn't destroyed like the other phones they had.

I'm shocked that this wasn't the seemingly monumental challenge that spawned so many discussions, led by top experts in the field of national security, on internet message boards.

I wonder if they will let us know what they find (or don't) on the phone? If it is just a few selfies, I want the taxpayers to get a refund.

I'm shocked that this wasn't the seemingly monumental challenge that spawned so many discussions, led by top experts in the field of national security, on internet message boards.

Yup, one week, some burden Apple avoided.

The more I hear about Apple standing up to the government regardless the cause as it relates to data privacy is impressive. Makes me think I might take the red pill knowing that my shit stays my shit.

I wonder how long it'll be until we find out there was nothing useful on it.

Oh there was tons of useful data on it, first there was the [redacted], then of course they found some [redacted], but the biggest thing of all that was so amazing was all of the [redacted] showing how [redacted] and then [redacted] would [redacted]. Pretty freaking nuts if you ask me.

Makes one wonder if the officials had already found the way to crack the phone a while ago, but was trying to get Apple to unlock the phone to both legitimise the act (of unlocking) and setting a precedent for other LEA to follow suit, rather than actually needing Apple to do it for them.

Ben Franklin Quotes. “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.” ”He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.”

1984, thought police, rabble rabble rabble... there are some clear terrorists, and some called terrorists like the man who shot up that abortion clinic so it can be made easier to attack the 2nd amendment. Rights are being eroded. Then again, George Carlin called them 'temporary privileges'

'Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges. That's all we've ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news even badly, you know that every year the list gets shorter and shorter. You see all, sooner or later. Sooner or later, the people in this country are gonna realize the government does not give a f--- about them! The government doesn't care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare or your safety. It simply does not give a f--- about you! It's interested in its own power. That's the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.'

WARNING: LANGUAGE

Apple not willing to help fight terrorism is pretty fucked up to me all in the name of so called privacy. Glad the phone was cracked. Fuck Apple
Agree., I have nothing to hide. Im sure terroist have been watching this also.

The more I hear about Apple standing up to the government regardless the cause as it relates to data privacy is impressive. Makes me think I might take the red pill knowing that my shit stays my shit.
You have some important shit to hide from the government dont you?

It pays to have spys in corporations that deal with communications. Now if terrorist can hack into your phone, bombs may not be as damaging as millions of users data, whereabouts, bank information etc. are exposed. So if Apple can be hacked into or their devices, do you really want to use them for any kind of sensitive stuff?

Really, the Feds should have just been quiet about breaking into the phone (leave it neither a confirm or deny of the status). If useful information was then extracted that lead to some kind of arrest then it may be exposed but just blurting out it was hacked into sounds more like revenge on Apple from the Feds (it served no purpose).

It doesnt matter. They were going to get in no matter what. Online banking is somthing I have never done but on a PC. If it was just that they would have just gone to the banks

Gut instinct is that the feds had the ability the entire time, but they didn't want to reveal that they had the ability so they tried getting apple to play ball. They've probably been doing it all along, at will.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
So then we should just give up? Don't give in without a fight.

quote-you-have-nothing-to-fear-if-you-have-nothing-to-hide-joseph-goebbels-70-50-02.jpg

Joseph Goebbels

Animals meaning...Pytchotic HUMANS. I disagree with overreaching government thing. Corrupt..maybe in ways. But is more dangerous than terrorist attacks it is not and I dont agree.

Yes, by not being forced into demands made by the US government, what a loss. Next up, vulnerability patched.
I doubt FBI will ever reveal to Apple what what used to crack in to it.

Apple could played the gate keeper in limiting what phones FBI could got in to now well they ATM have no say what phones can be cracked in to.

For people that read the court order, Apple could kept any software inhouse and deleted after the task was completed and FBI had the data. Now FBI has a way in to Iphones and Apple pretty can't stop any future unlocking of the phones. SO in the End Apple played with a double edge sword from the start and well they cut them selves as know ppl worry about gov getting in to their "encrypted" phone.

Back