Feds Demand Mozilla Remove MafiaaFire Add-On

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the "brass balls move of the day" goes to Mozilla for telling the Department of Homeland Security to stuff it. I have a feeling the feds will get what they want eventually but, at least for the time being, this is still amusing.

But Mozilla did not remove the MafiaaFire add-on, and instead has demanded the government explain why it should. Two weeks have passed, and the government has not responded to Mozilla’s questions, including whether the government considers the add-on unlawful and whether Mozilla is “legally obligated” to remove it. The DHS has also not provided the organization with a court order requiring its removal, the lawyer said.

Brass balls indeed, although this is no different then google posting the new .eu domains over the old .net/.com domains

Wait I just realized isn't the bay of pirates on a .org domain? Which would fall under these seizures correct me if I'm wrong.

The US Government pulls shit like this all the time. We'll "ask" them to take down this perfectly legal thing because it's making us look bad even though we have no warrant or legal standing whatsoever and if they don't we'll manufacture a reason why it's illegal and get some judge who doesn't understand the technicalities of the case to side with us.

when I was it was designed to oppose the riaa and mpaa I downloaded it immediately out of principle

The Department of Homeland Security, and Obama's Justice Department are working for the RIAA/MPAA now.

Time now to download MafiaaFire. Anything the RIAA hates, is worth trying out.

Mozilla points out in one press release/statement that MafiaaFire is legal while the ICE domain seizures are not. Nicely done.

Thanks for alerting me to the existence of this addon, DHS.

Big thx to these scumbags...

I didn't even know this add-on even exist... Good time to download and use it :)

Headline of the article is total SPIN

"Feds Demand"

"The Department of Homeland Security has requested.....Mozilla’s lawyer said Thursday"

They can request something that falls outside of their jurisdiction, but they obviously know they cannot demand it.

Yea... but a fed request pretty much amounts to the same thing. They'll most likely try to get their way when refused after all.

Govt needs to mind there own business and STAY OUT of Private Companies Business...why do you think were in the mess were in NOW? Can you say Depression...:rolleyes:

I think it might be time for me to switch back to Firefox. Chrome has been treating me well, but I'm digging Mozilla's attitude.

Headline of the article is total SPIN

"Feds Demand"

"The Department of Homeland Security has requested.....Mozilla’s lawyer said Thursday"

They can request something that falls outside of their jurisdiction, but they obviously know they cannot demand it.

:rolleyes: Just like a bully asks for kids lunch money.

Isn't this one of the tools that Chinese Dissidents use in order to skirt government censorship in China? The US government better be careful what it asks for.

Wonder how many [H] downloaded it after reading this article? I know I did!

Just read up on the plugin. It would seem that the government is not so much concerned with seizing the "offending" website domains as it is with preventing it's citizens from accessing said websites. The fact they're going after legal detours for accessing these sites is nuts.

That's a very dangerous precedent to set, whose to say what we as citizens can and can not access these? Information control has played a huge role in the history of civilization (corrupt governments). Just food for thought.

The DHS can go suck a big d**k as far as I'm concerned.

Govt needs to mind there own business and STAY OUT of Private Companies Business...why do you think were in the mess were in NOW? Can you say Depression...:rolleyes:

We are in the mess now because of private business!!!! The greedy wall street bankers had their hand in the 'till and wanted more. The banks are the first people to kick you to the curb when you need a small business loan, but they will be first in line to ask for a hand out from uncle sam when times are bad...

Your logic sir, is at fault...perhaps you care to rephrase your statement?

Never heard of it before now. Don't have any use for it either. But I still installed it, just as an FU to the government.

Well, I never knew about this. Still not knowing what it did from Steve's descriptions, it gave me the itch to get it anyways, even though I didn't know what it was. Well, now that I looked at it I don't plan on using it but I still have an urge to just download it anyways now.

I'm sure the addon is getting a lot more downloads now.

The US is becoming more and more just like China. They are seizing domains they believe or think are committing piracy. There has been NO Due Process, No Court Orders, just the Dumb dumb Feds seizing domains. This is from the same Government who criticizes other Governments from sensoring the internet and yet that is the EXACT thing the Feds are doing. This is how it all starts, they demonize a specific site or sites in order to get the public to sympathize that "Yeah this is wrong, they should take take them down" Of course the wonderful US Government is doing this with no Due Process, No Court Orders, just seizing domains because they feel like it. And people talk like this is a Free Country, FAR from it anymore.

The US is becoming more and more just like China. They are seizing domains they believe or think are committing piracy. There has been NO Due Process, No Court Orders, just the Dumb dumb Feds seizing domains. This is from the same Government who criticizes other Governments from sensoring the internet and yet that is the EXACT thing the Feds are doing. This is how it all starts, they demonize a specific site or sites in order to get the public to sympathize that "Yeah this is wrong, they should take take them down" Of course the wonderful US Government is doing this with no Due Process, No Court Orders, just seizing domains because they feel like it. And people talk like this is a Free Country, FAR from it anymore.

In their defense, it is very difficult to get a court order to illegally seize property from someone in a different country that isn't breaking any laws.

Shit had no idea such an add-on existed, now thanks to the government's demands I do!

Did DHS demand certain websites remove limewire? Or kazaa, or any of the torrent clients?

Thanks Mr The Man, I'm also adding to the "downloading out of spite" crowd... hopefully it isn't some tricky backdoor trojan dohickey though :D

We are in the mess now because of private business!!!! The greedy wall street bankers had their hand in the 'till and wanted more. The banks are the first people to kick you to the curb when you need a small business loan, but they will be first in line to ask for a hand out from uncle sam when times are bad...

Your logic sir, is at fault...perhaps you care to rephrase your statement?

I think the wording is fine, he just didn't say the other logical end of the statement. The government stays out of private business and the private business stays out of the fucking government!

For those seeing this the first time, here is from the mafiaafire.com website about how it works & what it does.

The slimy people (like the ones who work at the RIAA/MPAA) give a list of sites to their underlings (ICE) who convince a judge to sign a piece of paper - and that pretty much seals the deal. Your top level (.com, .net, .org) domain can then be seized.
Your site can still be accessible via it’s IP address… but domain names were invented for a reason:
It’s easier to remember Google.com rather than an IP address (like 203.111.233.156).

Some sites like NewBin2 and Demoniod have already taken preventive measures after seeing how these domain seizures are being abused by the MAFIAA and ICE either by redirecting all their .com traffic (Demoniod.com) to another domain (Demoniod.me) that is not controlled by the US, or even more drastic by making a hidden onion site accessible by Tor (NewsBin2).

We plan to maintain a list of URLs, and their duplicate sites (for example Demoniod.com and Demoniod.de) and painlessly redirect you to the correct site.

How it works:
- You install our add-on into your browser
- If ever Demoniod.com is seized by ICE or the upcoming COICO legislation it won’t matter.
- You simply type Demoniod.com into your browser as usual, the browser sends the address to the add-on, the add-on checks if Demoniod.com is on the list of sites to be redirected and immediately redirects you to the mirror site.
This happens in microseconds and completely transparent to you (the user).

The best thing about it is: Absolutely no need to remember or bookmark strange URLs (like http://sc3njt2i2j4fvqa3.tor2web.org) or IP addresses, you use your browser exactly like you did before.

While it's true that you need DNS to get to the sites, what everyone seems to have forgotten that there is one common piece of software that EVERYONE uses to get to sites (ok, leaving out the maga geeks) : a browser.

We control the redirection _before_ (and this is important) the browser tries to connect to the DNS server.
Whatever blocks, notices, threats, etc ICE or anyone else puts up at the DNS level is as worthless as the IFPI/RIAA/MPAA to mankind.

Op should have added a POLL to thread to say who's going to download it now just because of this. I bet it would be nowhere south of 95%. :p

Lol!! Go Mozillia. Internet censorship is lame and Mozillia is putting up a good fight against it. :)

Back