Fedora on BootCamp?

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
My searches haven't turned up any recent links, so I'm asking here. I have some spare Macbook Pros on my desk that are all currently running Mojave. I've set up BootCamp to boot to Windows 10 a few times now, but is it possible to do the same for Fedora 30? I can't find any simple to follow guide that deals with any recent version of OSX and/or Fedora. Any steps or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially any tools or commands needed to run on Fedora for drivers. Or, is it just not possible?

What's stopping you from trying it?

I realize that I cannot speak for Apple hardware outside of a general understanding, but generally speaking, this starts with dropping Fedora onto a USB stick. Do what you can- if you're not concerned with blowing away the installed OS by having a recovery plan, you can't break the hardware, can you?

Ya, I would just try it. I am mostly curious too. Fedora is really really good at just working out of the box so I bet if it installs and boots everything will work. Then again I don't really remember how boot managers work on mac devices.

My "testing and trying" time is limited until we hire more people, unfortunately, so I was hoping there was a quick/simple guide to follow. I'm looking to eventually offer Fedora as a desktop option, as it's been requested by a few developers. I wanted to use this MacBook as a team system to familiarize ourselves with using Linux in our environment. The Macbook was just wiped and reloaded with Mojave, so there's no danger of destroying any useful data. Can't hurt to see what GRUB can do.

I mean, recovery time if it fails has to be considered, but getting Linux (or any OS really these days) installed on consumer hardware is very quick.

It ended up working, but more as a traditional dual-boot system. I didn't have to use BootCamp. On a side note, the OSX Disk Utility is terrible. There's no easy way to clear a drive completely.

Back