Fedora Core 3 on a SATA RAID

astolpho

Limp Gawd
At work I recently tried to install Fedora Core 3 on a relatively new Dell workstation. Its an INTEL system with a SATA RAID 0 set up, 2/ 80 gig hard drives. When I attempted the install Fedora could not recognize the Disk Array. Doing research I found The Linux kernel (ata_piix module) currently has no support for the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) available on the Intel ICH6R SATA controller. To work around this issue until AHCI support is released, you must switch the controller mode from "AHCI" to "ATA" mode (aka legacy mode). Perform the following steps:

Reboot the system, enter the system BIOS setup. From the BIOS menu, selct "Drives", and then select "SATA Operation". Choose "RAID Autodetect/ATA" .

I've read mixed reviews if this is a worth while solution. Do ya'll think this would degrade the performance of my SATA RAID? Think I should just wait till Fedora comes out with a new kernel with support? Heard of any better solutions?

You do know that linux will not suppord raid for that card? You're only option is to run a software raid or get a pci card that supports true hardware raid.

Not sure on it degrading performance for just regular sata though....

Back