Federal Agents Dressed as Mail Couriers Are Busting Illegal Online Drug Deals

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by cageymaru, Sep 24, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Federal agents are becoming better at busting drugs bought online through the dark web and ultimately preventing them from entering the country via the mail service. Agents can scan only a few of the millions of international packages that enter into the country each year. In 2016 at the JFK mail sorting facility, only 9 packages were intercepted, but this year more than 200 have been stopped from feeding the country's opioid crisis. The U.S. Senate has targeted China as the main source of drugs like fentanyl as 71,000 Americans died from drug overdoses last year. Federal agents are now delivering fake drug packages filled with coffee grounds and a GPS device to unsuspecting drug dealers. They setup surveillance in and around the buildings where the packages are delivered and then bust the dealers when the packages move.

The volume of drugs coming through the mail has grown in step with legitimate online shopping, customs agents say, as Americans have taken to ordering drugs from overseas via the dark web. Agents suspect that was how the package for "Randy" came to arrive at JFK.

2. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

as some one who works in the post office in a state where pot is legal i can tell you it's a whole lot more prevalent than people think.. the more annoying thing is that constitutionally we're not allowed to deny shipping nor can we legally open and search a package even if we know for 100% certainty that there's pot or any other drug in the package being shipped to a state where pot isn't legal..

cageymaru likes this.
  3. DarkStar02

DarkStar02 2[H]4U

Won't somebody think of the children!

4. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Why is it annoying? You aren't law enforcement so you shouldn't be doing anything anyway. (Not that I agree with people sending drugs through the mail ofc)

5. travisty

travisty Gawd

Just let those that OD die. Problem will take care of itself.

6. Joust

Joust Gawd

I disagree with this, but not strongly. Citizens are not law enforcement as such, no. However, I would like to think that we make it possible for people that come across illegal activities in their profession to somehow impede such activity.

I see all the downsides, but watching crooked stuff happening and being powerless to do anything about it IS frustrating.

So. The post won't open pot smelling packages eh? Asking..for a friend.

GoldenTiger and scojer like this.
  7. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

As far as I know there is no real inspection of domestic mail, only international stuff

8. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

You'd think the dark web would have a mailing system setup to avoid detection.

9. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

It'll be like uber/lyft but for package couriers

scojer likes this.
  10. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

d8lock and 86 5.0L like this.
  11. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

A little bit of sea hash never hurt anybody...it's that K2 China lab shit you gotta worry about.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  12. Zamboni

Zamboni [H]ard|Gawd

That service does exist, but it's a bit more expensive than the USPS flat rate boxes. The dark web is the kind of place to spend millions on narcotics and then cheap out on the postage.

13. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

I only clicked the video to watch the dog

GoldenTiger likes this.
  14. spintroniX

spintroniX Gawd

Since they have so much creativity and so many resources, how about they bust the human traffickers instead of the people looking for a high?

Just a thought.

Patton187 likes this.
  15. Smoeki

Smoeki Gawd

Because there isn't as much money to be made by busting human trafficking.

alxlwson likes this.
  16. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

spintroniX likes this.
  17. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Exactly how is there money to be made off of busting fentanyl traffickers?
    Even if it's your mother, father, son, daughter, friend, boss, employee, your girlfriend or your wife?

18. Joust

Joust Gawd

Size of the bust? Fentanyl is worth more per pound than a person.

19. Joust

Joust Gawd

I have heard...third and fourth hand accounts...of island smokes coming in through Chicago and the empty box arrived with green tape. There's a note inside that contraband has been found, if you think you've received this in error call the following number. I doubt that phone has ever rang.

20. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Read original comment.
    "there isn't as much money to be made by busting human trafficking"

21. Joust

Joust Gawd

Yeah, so when you go to seize the drugs and the money resulting from it, the agency gets a hell of a lot more looking for the Volvo riding dirty than the surburban house with an undocumented unpaid worker.

22. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

knowing how dumb people are i bet customs has received calls to that number.

23. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

This was a drop, no money was exchanged. Besides, the wholesale value of 250 grams fentanyl (1/2 pound) is nada.
    It's not like on TV where there is a bag man with the money on one side and another with the dope.
    The drugs and money are seperated 7 times over.

24. Joust

Joust Gawd

1 kilogram of fentanyl is worth about $1.2 - 1.3 million. So, it's still of substantial value. This particular instance may be a drop, but speaking globally, I maintain my position. You can disagree, of course.

25. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

I see how you kissed his ass then asked his insider scoop on your drug smuggling, try to be a little more discrete next time

26. Joust

Joust Gawd

I didn't know we had a damn Columbo in here.

Edit: I actually lol'd. Heh. Thanks for that.

oldmanbal likes this.
  27. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

I've read about that happening a lot with marijuana seeds coming into the country.

28. MRAB54

MRAB54 Gawd

Am I reading this right, only 9 packages intercepted in 2016 at JFK mail facility? And only ~200 this year? Is this a joke?

29. theBrownLlama

theBrownLlama Gawd

sad lol, blaming other countries for an opioid crisis that is markedly domestic. And that includes supply.

30. Prisoner849

Prisoner849 Gawd

Yeah, well you create a for-profit health care system that depends on making addicts in order to keep printing money and then wonder why they need to find them cheaper.

And yeah...quality-control vacuum China doesn't give a fuck about you.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  31. Creig

Creig Gawd

According to the left, those aren't illegal drugs. They're undocumented prescriptions.

GoldenTiger, pizzathehutt and kirbyrj like this.
  32. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

I thought it was the libertarians who wanted the government to regulate less?

Personally I don't really care what sort of poison people want to put in their bodies (legal or illegal), but some institute? that'd establish some sort of minimum quality / branding would go further to limit needless death from bad drugs then keeping them illegal...

33. Smoeki

Smoeki Gawd

Not sure why you are singling out fentanyl. My response was obviously about the "War on Drugs" and the comment was why are they focusing on a victimless crime of people getting high rather than the crime of human trafficking which usually idicates there is a actual real victim.

If your asking what profit is involved with that, here are a few, Prisons and staff, the entire DEA, increased police funding and staff, courts and lawyers and let's not forget the beloved civil asset forfeiture, increased and abused power. I Could name more but do I really need to? Not only are we throwing a person in jail at 30-50k a year, we are taking that money through force from people to pay for it. All for a voluntary transaction between people with no victim to speak of.