Fed Up with GPU Prices? Crypto-Rig Builder Says Gamers Must Suck It Up and Mine

Prospective: https://www.jonpeddie.com/store/gpu-developments-in-2017
2.1 billion (yes billion!) GPU's were produced/sold last year, 2017
79% mobile phones
3% Consoles
1% Vehicle and other (NOTE: do not expect cheap gaming cards if the automobile industry really takes off in using AI for cars, cheap $500 cards will be a distant memory)
17% for PCs and Workstations
  • 2.1 billion X .17 = 357 million PC/WS GPUs sold last year
  • ~35% of those were discrete as in in video cards, 357 million x .35 = 124.5 million Video cards made/sold last year. Then add in all the video cards still in use and produced prior to 2017 - as in 2016, 2015 and so on -> Each over 100million produced as well - A huge number of video cards not dedicated to mining.
  • 12 million video cards from last several generations make up the current mining population, with the much lower current payoff rates that is probably significantly less now - 12 million pales in comparison to all video cards totalling in the hundreds of millions.
What is the energy cost for all Video cards other than mining estimating an average of 20% usage in a day? Knock knock anyone there? I would surmise it would dwarf the power requirements of all the mining cards many times over. Just because one area with cheap power harbours the influx of miners does not mean that represents all areas of the planet. It just concentrates due to economic reasons. Taking it out of context and then saying we will need to build thousands of nuclear power plants is just exaggerating. We could make a much bigger claim with gamers or all other uses.

Also to consider, even with a phone requiring much less energy, having many more of them still consumes a hell a lot of energy
Of course it is just easy to blame the miner for all one's gaming GPU finding ills. It is more a memory shortage causing the real gaming GPU shortage, caused by memory manufacturers making memory for phones vice as much for video cards. Someone can critique and correct my math if in error. Of course GPU's bought for mining affects gamers, folks buying GPU's for gaming is affecting miners getting GPU's, then GPU's bought for other things - it really works all ways for affecting supply and demand.

Probably most of us on this site that mine also game and game [H]ard at that as well.

There is a problem with this perspective.

All of those example of computing devices are products, tangible products. The products have many different purposes, entertainment, business, health, education, communications in myriad forms. Cryptomining consumes energy and resources but to what product? No tangible product at all actually. It's a security, like having and trading in stock for a company that doesn't exist, has no holdings, employs no people, and has no customers and the only potential benefit, is to be a vehicle for trading currency.

In other words, I could achieve the same result if I could convince people to start trading emojis as if it were bitcoin, no different. I'll even use block-chain to confirm that the emoji is in fact original. I'll just use artistic talent to create them instead of mathematical algorithms and well do it for a hell of a lot less cost in energy usage.

What a dumb article. In my spare time? Outside of working, spending time with friends and family. Gaming, is my spare time.

Besides that, for it to be effective, you have to have the money up front to get into crypto mining, so whats the point?

Evidence that gamers don't get it...

This article is dumb; a single card will not offset the power cost needed to turn a profit these days.

Soooo wrong. Almost any current gen card (550-580 / 1030-1080ti) assuming you already have them for gaming will turn you a profit on day 1, even with electricity costs.

Worth posting

Yea, get your facts from John Oliver.

Personally, I think it should be expunged from existence, keep block-chain by all means, it could be useful, but cryptomining itself needs to go away.

Unfortunately block-chains that are not private won't work unless you pay people...

Soooo wrong. Almost any current gen card (550-580 / 1030-1080ti) assuming you already have them for gaming will turn you a profit on day 1, even with electricity costs.

Unfortunately block-chains that are not private won't work unless you pay people...

Yeah, just continue dumping your fraudulent worthless crypto on unsuspecting investors. What's going on ought to be criminal, and I will have no part of it.

I don't care if I can make money doing it, I will have no part in it because I at least try to be decent human being.

Yeah, just continue dumping your fraudulent worthless crypto on unsuspecting investors. What's going on ought to be criminal, and I will have no part of it.

I don't care if I can make money doing it, I will have no part in it because I at least try to be decent human being.

Given who and what crypto is being used for these days, I 100% agree. Some will always argue that cash is used for crime as well, but the dollar (whatever dollar you use) is part and parcel of our social contract, crypto is not, you chose to get involved, and you chose to get that blood on you.

I was going to upgrade this summer to Ryzen +, I don't even need a new GPU as I have a 1070 but with memory and everything else I said screw it and decided to spend my money on other stuff, I'll come back in a couple years and see how things are then.

I have gotten no facts from John Oliver.

He had simply expressed what I already know to be true in a funny and easily shareable package.

His show may be a comedy show, but he has a full staff of investigative journalists and to my knowledge have yet to retract anything they have run on their show, and have won the one lawsuit filed against them for slander.

They go to great lengths to make sure they have the facts to back them up before going with a topic.

Think of their process like this:

1.) Investigative journalists put together an exposé on an importabt topic otherwise too dry for anyone to pay attention to.

2.) Story is delivered to comedy writers, who take a piece otherwise fit for a legitimate news organization and make it funny.

3.) John Oliver presents it on air.

The fact that it is a comedy show doesn't make the information any less valuable. They have just as much incentive to never have to retract a story (or lose a defamation lawsuit) as any more traditional publication.

Evidence that some people can't think beyond the label on their forehead.

OK, You win, I'm a gamer

And I'm an Enterprise Storage Engineer

And a SIGINT Analyst, a Combat Engineer, an Infantryman (cause all soldiers are infantry first), a photographer, and I've had carnal knowledge with ...... well I'm not admitting what I've had carnal knowledge with, but it wasn't with a gamer.

So what's your point?

And I have no idea why you made this comment about blockchains. Finding good uses for blockchain is already happening, I don't even get what you are trying to say regarding my comment.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-plans-blockchain-decentralized-identity/

https://www.iab.com/wp-content/uplo...rtising_Publisher-Buyer_Use_Cases_2018-02.pdf

https://cointelegraph.com/news/germ...ckchain-for-radio-frequency-id-sensor-systems

A lot of really smart people in many industries are looking at how they can leverage blockchain. If it needs to be private to prevent manipulation fine, depends on the use case. How it will be paid for is completely up in the air and dependant largely on the application of blockchain in the use case.

Given who and what crypto is being used for these days, I 100% agree. Some will always argue that cash is used for crime as well, but the dollar (whatever dollar you use) is part and parcel of our social contract, crypto is not, you chose to get involved, and you chose to get that blood on you.

Don't get me completely wrong here. The Blockchain concept has real value, and a few of the more current crytpocoins, like probably bitcoin, and maybe litecoin and possibly monero may have long term viability. They are in bubble territory now, but they may have long term viability. The rest are utter junk. They only have value because less tech savvy investors are being conned into buying them without knowing what they are buying.

The part worth noting is this. If you are making money mining cypto with a GPU today, you are not making money off of the more viable currencies. Bitcoin can't be profitably mined today without large scale ASIC's. Litecoin and Monero may not require ASIC's but they have gone beyond that early stage where they are easy to profitably mine. So, the people who are making profit from mining with GPU's today are the ones making money off of the conning of old people, who are going to spend their retirement in poverty when this whole thing falls apart.

And that's before we start talking about the aspects of these cryptocoins that are outright illegal, but regulators just haven't figured out how to enforce yet, like pump and dump schemes (which would get you serious jail time if done with any other security) pyramid schemes like bitconnect, EOS or when used as an alternative to selling equity to raise capital for new business ventures, which attempts to circumvent a whole host of financial and investing laws that are on the books, in order to sell equity straight to small investors, something banned when you are dealing with real stocks.

It is completely and utterly indefensible, and that's before we even get to what people are using these cryptocurrencies for, which is often to conceal criminal transactions. I am not as concerned about that though, because people have been doing this with real cash for ages.

It's a big shady bubble that's going to burst in spectacular fashion, with confidence men and con artists trying to cash in as much as possible before the bottom falls out and real people get seriously hurt, like those poor bastards falling for the whole "hodl" mantra. Unless you have one of the top tier currencies, holding them is foolish. The only way people are going to make long term money on these things is by dumping them and letting someone else take the loss. The Hodl folks are being conned just as much as the old ma and pa investors, they just don't realize it, and think they are being smart.

Last edited:

Evidence that some people can't think beyond the label on their forehead.

OK, You win, I'm a gamer

And I'm an Enterprise Storage Engineer

And a SIGINT Analyst, a Combat Engineer, an Infantryman (cause all soldiers are infantry first), a photographer, and I've had carnal knowledge with ...... well I'm not admitting what I've had carnal knowledge with, but it wasn't with a gamer.

So what's your point?

And I have no idea why you made this comment about blockchains. Finding good uses for blockchain is already happening, I don't even get what you are trying to say regarding my comment.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-plans-blockchain-decentralized-identity/

https://www.iab.com/wp-content/uplo...rtising_Publisher-Buyer_Use_Cases_2018-02.pdf

https://cointelegraph.com/news/germ...ckchain-for-radio-frequency-id-sensor-systems

A lot of really smart people in many industries are looking at how they can leverage blockchain. If it needs to be private to prevent manipulation fine, depends on the use case. How it will be paid for is completely up in the air and dependant largely on the application of blockchain in the use case.

Very good point. Just because we play games on the weekend doesn't mean we somehow lack the ability to understand these concepts.

I have two engineering degrees, a minor in economics and am 80% of the way through my MBA.

I have spent my 15 year career developing life saving class 3 medical devices. There's an average of 3-5 people alive every day that passes because of devices I have worked on.

I may not be Paul Krugman, but I fully understand the economic and market forces behind cryptocurrencies, and that's why I see right through the whole thing. I also have a conscience.

Maybe that's what scares you, to the point where you see the need to come on here and throw around tired old stereotype insults about being gamers?

Last edited:
Very good point.................

Maybe that's what scares you, to the point where you see the need to come on here and throw around tired old stereotype insults about being gamers?

Scares Him, not me.

I have to wonder at the mental mindset that sees gaming as a consuming endeavor comparable to an occupation vs entertainment for those who enjoy it, high and low alike.

And for whoismoes;
If I sounded angry, I've already been poked a couple times today, I might be a little sensitive :sneaky:

I have gotten no facts from John Oliver.

He had simply expressed what I already know to be true in a funny and easily shareable package.

His show may be a comedy show, but he has a full staff of investigative journalists and to my knowledge have yet to retract anything they have run on their show, and have won the one lawsuit filed against them for slander.

They go to great lengths to make sure they have the facts to back them up before going with a topic.

Think of their process like this:

1.) Investigative journalists put together an exposé on an importabt topic otherwise too dry for anyone to pay attention to.

2.) Story is delivered to comedy writers, who take a piece otherwise fit for a legitimate news organization and make it funny.

3.) John Oliver presents it on air.

The fact that it is a comedy show doesn't make the information any less valuable. They have just as much incentive to never have to retract a story (or lose a defamation lawsuit) as any more traditional publication.

I should look into the show, I've never seen it, sounds worth watching.

I should look into the show, I've never seen it, sounds worth watching.

I find most of it hilarious. While he does get his facts straight, he does have a rather politically left leaning editorial stance and sense of humor, so fans of the current president probably wouldn't appreciate most of his shows.

The concept of the show is this: Every week he opens with a few humorous jabs about the week in the news, and then progresses to his main segment, an important topic you may not have thought much about, and then points out some of its major problems using comedy to get through to people.

Most of his main segments (as listed here on Wikipedia) remain interesting and relevant despite some of them being a few seasons old, and can be interesting and enjoyable to even those on the right, if they are willing to sit through a couple of comedic jabs not intended for them, as the main segments aren't necessarily of one political leaning or another, but in general along the lines of "here's something fucked up you might not have known about, now let's make fun of it".

The show runs on HBO but if you don't feel like paying for HBO (or pirating it) they post many of the main segments on their YouTube channel.

The show runs

I find most of it hilarious. While he does get his facts straight, he does have a rather politically left leaning editorial stance and sense of humor, so fans of the current president probably wouldn't appreciate most of his shows.

The concept of the show is this: Every week he opens with a few humorous jabs about the week in the news, and then progresses to his main segment, an important topic you may not have thought much about, and then points out some of its major problems using comedy to get through to people.

Most of his main segments (as listed here on Wikipedia) remain interesting and relevant despite some of them being a few seasons old, and can be interesting and enjoyable to even those on the right, if they are willing to sit through a couple of comedic jabs not intended for them, as the main segments aren't necessarily of one political leaning or another, but in general along the lines of "here's something fucked up you might not have known about, now let's make fun of it".

The show runs on HBO but if you don't feel like paying for HBO (or pirating it) they post many of the main segments on their YouTube channel.

The show runs

Perhaps it's fortunate that instead of finding a president I like, and then shaping my views to his rhetoric, instead, I have my views, and look for the candidate who seems to hit most of the boxes that are mine, without hitting any of the ones I have serious problems with.

But I figure you're no different despite which leg of yours is shorter :D

Gamers, the day of salvation is near!

Don't buy the miner's cards until they hit $150 for Titan 1080ti! Let us all PUNISH them into oblivion! ;-)

Didn't read through all the comments here so this might have already been said. I don't do any mining, however I can slightly see the point that is being made. It can very easily be compared to none video card concepts that people would understand and not consider that crazy in some areas.

In some places in order to be able to afford a house, people turn part of their house into an apartment so maybe they rent out a finished basement, or have a guest house they rent out and the funds from that help to cover the cost of the house payments for the entire house. That isn't that crazy of a concept. A few people have purchased slightly higher end cars than they originally could afford and end up then during their free time driving for uber or lyft or something like that to offset the cost of the car vs what they could afford.

So there are real world none gaming related concepts already where people use something that they purchase to offset the cost of the item itself. So in that mindset, if the cost of a card has increased x% from where it should be, if you used the card to do some mining you could earn some money from it and offset the higher cost of the card itself to make up the difference from what you think it should cost to start with.

Reactions: noko
like this
Didn't read through all the comments here so this might have already been said. I don't do any mining, however I can slightly see the point that is being made. It can very easily be compared to none video card concepts that people would understand and not consider that crazy in some areas.

In some places in order to be able to afford a house, people turn part of their house into an apartment so maybe they rent out a finished basement, or have a guest house they rent out and the funds from that help to cover the cost of the house payments for the entire house. That isn't that crazy of a concept. A few people have purchased slightly higher end cars than they originally could afford and end up then during their free time driving for uber or lyft or something like that to offset the cost of the car vs what they could afford.

So there are real world none gaming related concepts already where people use something that they purchase to offset the cost of the item itself. So in that mindset, if the cost of a card has increased x% from where it should be, if you used the card to do some mining you could earn some money from it and offset the higher cost of the card itself to make up the difference from what you think it should cost to start with.
Offsetting the cost is an option that one can take, if one is opposed and think every cryptocoin is fraudulent and has no future then don't mine. Good analogy.

There is a problem with this perspective.

All of those example of computing devices are products, tangible products. The products have many different purposes, entertainment, business, health, education, communications in myriad forms. Cryptomining consumes energy and resources but to what product? No tangible product at all actually. It's a security, like having and trading in stock for a company that doesn't exist, has no holdings, employs no people, and has no customers and the only potential benefit, is to be a vehicle for trading currency.

In other words, I could achieve the same result if I could convince people to start trading emojis as if it were bitcoin, no different. I'll even use block-chain to confirm that the emoji is in fact original. I'll just use artistic talent to create them instead of mathematical algorithms and well do it for a hell of a lot less cost in energy usage.
ahmmm, I suggest you look at some of the different coins and what they are doing, Ethereum is a very interesting one that if it doesn't have any significant software programming issues will probably be very successful. The #1 commodity I would say at the moment is the security of the blockchain or ledger, unfortunately it connects to many unsecure and unscrupulous bunch of folks and organization. It is like in an R&D and test phase. I am pretty sure the number of coins will go down and the most viable and useful coins will survive and get better. Who knows, maybe the one that will topple Bitcoin has not been launched yet.

It's not "just over a year" in terms of ROI on a new GPU. The GTX 1080 Ti cards are currently earning less than $2/day, it's actually closer to $1.75/day. I know my GTX 1080 Ti cards have a MSRP of over $800USD right now, and as you guys know it's extremely hard to find cards for anywhere near MSRP right now. My estimate is the ROI is currently two years if you're lucky. The mining difficulty just keeps on going up and up. Right now is a terrible time to be getting into mining, and my own prediction is that we are going to see a flood of used cards on the market soon for dirt cheap. The mining has been steadily going south for over a month now. If gamers were smart they would wait for Volta or else a cheap used card.

Eh it’s around 1yr 2-3 months right now mining 24/7 so if you only mine at night then yea 2+ yrs.

Now is not a good time to get into the game for sure. Granted it depends on how much you want to risk, because currencies can increase to Dec levels but I don’t expect that for another year or more.

ahmmm, I suggest you look at some of the different coins and what they are doing, Ethereum is a very interesting one that if it doesn't have any significant software programming issues will probably be very successful. The #1 commodity I would say at the moment is the security of the blockchain or ledger, unfortunately it connects to many unsecure and unscrupulous bunch of folks and organization. It is like in an R&D and test phase. I am pretty sure the number of coins will go down and the most viable and useful coins will survive and get better. Who knows, maybe the one that will topple Bitcoin has not been launched yet.

So I think it's important that people see things for what they are. Cryptocurrency technically is a currency, except that it's not recognized as one by most governments because they can't track and control it as they would traditional currencies. That's the reason the US and some others are calling it a security instead, even though it has no basis in material goods or product. But by calling it a security, the government has a chance to regulate it, and get their slice of it when it's traded and people earn profits from it. That's what it is all about anyway.

Now this brings up a whole new angle. The Federal government wants their just due regarding cryptocurrency transfers so now, they are called securities and can be traded. If you profit, you must claim income. But what about when you lose? Loses to a degree, can be written off and claimed against your income. Why, if you suffered a loss in bitcoin for instance, say you bought .5 bitcoin at 16K and it went down to 10K and you sold it because you couldn't take any more loss on it, or you needed that cash back, it would be a loss, and you could claim that loss up to a given maximum amount, and even spread it out for a few years. I'm not sure what proof you would need to show for your loss, but an enterprising person could come up with something and it might be hard to challenge as it is now, so early in it's being a regulated thing and all. I bet a guy could even fake it and never having actually bought or lost any bitcoin at all, darkweb and all.

I wonder how hard the IRS has been looking at this and how hard they would be willing to dig to go after it. I bet I'm not the first guy to think of it this way.

OR!! visit the FS section of every online forum and get some good deals

No thanks, I don't want a card that has been run 24/7 at max output for its full life and is likely to start popping caps in the next few months.

The moral here being the house poor and crypto farmers are living beyond their means? At least the house poor can live in the oversized house they can't afford even if they can't find any roommates. I'm not sure what some guy with 50 graphics cards can do if there weren't any ponzi coins to mine.

The moral here being the house poor and crypto farmers are living beyond their means? At least the house poor can live in the oversized house they can't afford even if they can't find any roommates. I'm not sure what some guy with 50 graphics cards can do if there weren't any ponzi coins to mine.

you are moving the goal. The point here was if you think your video card cost too much then use it to mine coins. We are talking about a single card that you purchase for gaming and use it for mining when you are not gaming.

you are moving the goal. The point here was if you think your video card cost too much then use it to mine coins. We are talking about a single card that you purchase for gaming and use it for mining when you are not gaming.

I'm not being judgemental here, I personally don't care one way or the other if a person does what you suggest, although I actually do hope that governments will end cryptomining because we just can't afford to use energy so flippantly. But that's me.

But I do wonder if you realize that there are people with much stronger feelings against it that see it as a seriously morally wrong pursuit?

As an example, some people seem to have no problems with buying 3 monitors in the hopes that one will be perfect, or perfect enough, and returning the other two to the seller.

But there are people that see this as morally wrong and that someone like this is abusing a retailer's return policy. It is entirely possible that the same person would have gotten the best one on the first try, and that at least one of the returned ones would have failed the manufacturers warranty process and been good for a return anyway.

Some see it as wrong and recognize that this drives up prices for everyone. others don't see anything wrong with the practice.

So I'm asking something like this.

Last edited:
I'm not being judgemental here, I personally don't care one way or the other if a person does what you suggest, although I actually do hope that governments will end cryptomining because we just can't afford to use energy so flippantly. But that's me.

But I do wonder if you realize that there are people with much stronger feelings against it that see it as a seriously morally wrong pursuit?

As an example, some people seem to have no problems with buying 3 monitors in the hopes that one will be perfect, or perfect enough, and returning the other two to the seller.

But there are people that see this as morally wrong and that someone like this is abusing a retailer's return policy. It is entirely possible that the same person would have gotten the best one on the first try, and that at least one of the returned ones would have failed the manufacturers warranty process and been good for a return anyway.

Some see it as wrong and recognize that this drives up prices for everyone. others don't see anything wrong with the practice.

So I'm asking something like this.

I was just playing devils advocate in that I could see what the article was trying to say. If you are going to complain that the cost of something is too high and that item that you are paying for has a way to be used to make money that is something that can be done. I don't understand the whole moral part of coins over all, but also don't want to get down that rabbit hole either.

That said, i would like you to explain the whole monitor thing. Why would you need to buy multiple monitors? I must be missing something here as I have just been using tvs for monitors for years and I didn't buy a cheap TV so i don't know what would be special about a monitor that one wouldn't work as well as others. I must have missed some massive slide in quality or something.

I was just playing devils advocate in that I could see what the article was trying to say. If you are going to complain that the cost of something is too high and that item that you are paying for has a way to be used to make money that is something that can be done. I don't understand the whole moral part of coins over all, but also don't want to get down that rabbit hole either.

That said, i would like you to explain the whole monitor thing. Why would you need to buy multiple monitors? I must be missing something here as I have just been using tvs for monitors for years and I didn't buy a cheap TV so i don't know what would be special about a monitor that one wouldn't work as well as others. I must have missed some massive slide in quality or something.

I've done the devil's advocate thing myself a few times and sometimes it becomes problematic so I understand.

The monitor is does relate to quality control to a small degree, but TVs can be effected as well. Essentially most companies that produce displays have a "Dead Pixel Policy" which might say for instance that three or more dead pixels is where they draw the line on warranty returns for this reason. Less than three and they will not accept the unit for RMA and Warranty actions. IPS panels in TVs and Monitors can have issues with back-light bleed, sometimes this is excessive and could warrant a return, but it is an issue with all IPS panels to one degree or another, and some people are less effected by it.

It was a user in this forum topic who said that this was actually a personal practice of his, buying as many as three monitors expecting that one of them would be acceptable, and returning the other two. The person feels justified in doing this because, (if I understand him correctly), so many monitor manufacturers have poor quality controls and basically are trying to push people into accepting products that shouldn't have made it past QC.

I on the other hand don't agree with this and I do feel it's abusive, the man is buying three, intending to return two, not knowing if the first one will be perfect or not. He could have simply bought one, and if it needed to be returned then do so. Another issue is that he is buying into a technology that he knows has a flaw, back-light bleed is a technical flaw of IPS panels, but he is expecting to "get a good one". He knows this is a weakness and he is willing to abuse their return policy in hopes that he'll get one that doesn't have this weakness. Well, that the weakness won't be unacceptable to him.

So because he has determined that the right way to do this is to buy three while intending to return two, he is essentially driving up the costs of monitors do to the high rate of returns do to this practice. If someone decides to ban him from returns, who does he have to blame but himself?

So this was where I was headed with that post.

How much longer can this go on? Another 1-3 years max?

Electricity costs will remain relatively constant so as difficulty increases, even with the next gen cards, it's got to get to the point where it's just not possible to make money with consumer level cards and everyone is going to be running the Antminer chips.

Next gen cards might be what? 20=40% faster? I just can't see this working much longer, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm glad I got my 1080Ti when I did and I'm glad I didn't bork it putting the arctic cooler on it - I'm basically not opening my PC for the next 2 years if I don't absolutely have to :)

If someone decides to ban him from returns, who does he have to blame but himself?
So this was where I was headed with that post.

He could blame anyone who he deems fit, such as the company that manufactured the monitor. You can't totally control what other people think so it's better not to waste your energy trying to.

He could blame anyone who he deems fit, such as the company that manufactured the monitor. You can't totally control what other people think so it's better not to waste your energy trying to.

This is what happens when someone ignores the accepted meaning of a colloquialism and takes it at literal value.

When someone says "He has no one to blame but himself", it doesn't mean that he can't run around laying blame for things on others.

It means, it's his own fault.

How much longer can this go on? Another 1-3 years max?

Electricity costs will remain relatively constant so as difficulty increases, even with the next gen cards, it's got to get to the point where it's just not possible to make money with consumer level cards and everyone is going to be running the Antminer chips.

Next gen cards might be what? 20=40% faster? I just can't see this working much longer, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm glad I got my 1080Ti when I did and I'm glad I didn't bork it putting the arctic cooler on it - I'm basically not opening my PC for the next 2 years if I don't absolutely have to :)
I think that is a very valid point, Bitcoin is only sustain due to dedicated hardware that is designed around it, once the coins are filtered out eventually GPU's will become irrelevant for mining over time.

Back