Fed up with Asus RMA

I believe 8 years ago MSI were just a low quality OEM vendor, basically.. Seems like they're a different company today. My MSI laptop has served me pretty well!

All I have left to build my PC now is the motherboard.. Too much negative stuff about ASUS in a lot of places has turned me off on trying one. I've gone with Gigabyte my last few builds, but the board I'm looking at doesn't seem to be sold by Amazon (while the model above and below are) and I'm not too sure about buying from Newegg either.

I'm pretty much steering toward MSI now.
Good to know.
When is the line(the date)? I am looking for a used 6780 card. MSI seems lower priced then the rest. Is there a brand I should avoid?

My lga 1156 i5 750 rig (that I was using until just a few months ago... it's about 4-5 years old now) used an ASUS motherboard. At some point (not too far out) I had an annoying problem where my USB ports were flaky. Any jiggling of any cord plugged into a usb port caused the connection to cut out and then cut back in... sometimes constantly. I pretty much had to make sure every cable hooked up to it never experienced the most minor of wiggling. Front or back didn't matter, either. First thought it might be what I was plugging into it, but it persisted no matter what I had plugged into it. Changed the power supply (I was using some really crappy power supplies back then), didn't help.

For some reason it never even occurred to me that I could try doing an RMA for that, but after reading up on them more now, I'm kind of really glad I didn't. I was a poor college student back then, and I probably would have ended up stuck for months without my gaming computer. Using an MSI mpower in this build, have had absolutely no such problems. USB ports are rock solid and steady (granted I messed up the connector on the MB for the front usb 3.0 ports because I was too rough... sigh, my builds always have to have some kinda problem, don't they?).

Oh, and I had an ASUS laptop that I got for college too (added to my tuition, didn't have to pay for it, thank you scholarships). It was an... M50V? I believe. That thing also had a problem where keys on its keyboard wouldn't register properly and sometimes get delayed, or sometimes not register at all. ASUS knew about it, never fixed it.

Yeah, just my experiences with ol' allcaps. Thinking back on it, I don't think a single thing they gave me actually worked properly. Lol.

Seriously mind blown. I used to believe Intel boards = Asus boards for top quality. I know better know.

I think it's this kind of reputation that's going to come back and bite ASUS in the butt later on, if they keep this up. Competition has a way of weeding out the bad apples... eventually.

Great, Just bought an ASUS Hero, and I think I need to RMA my ASUS Router.... Everyone used to swear by Asus and the Hero had good reviews, so I went with that since, ABIT, and DFI are no longer around.... I also thought of MSI as standard quality. It will work, but might be missing features not not clock as high, and Gigabyte, well not sure what I think about them anymore. I tried a gigabyte board when they first started producing with their dual bios but I ended up returning it for something else for some reason, I think they advertised it was compatible with something it was not.

My asus board went dead on me a few weeks back, had it less than a yr and just everything went dead on me during a movie, took it to a repair shop and had em test it with known good working parts.
MB never even made it to the bios boot screen, just dead, so I just started a rma with asus, they gave me one of the fast turnround rma's. they send me a mb after I give them my CC and I mail in my old one after I get the replacement.
Been reading on different forums bout the horror stories with their rma process and really don't wanna give them my CC info now, jeesh, I wonder if I can get it turned into a normal rma and just mail the old board back, stuck on a old core 2 duo cpu and a asrock mb while my core i7 is just gathering dust *sigh*

My asus board went dead on me a few weeks back, had it less than a yr and just everything went dead on me during a movie, took it to a repair shop and had em test it with known good working parts.
MB never even made it to the bios boot screen, just dead, so I just started a rma with asus, they gave me one of the fast turnround rma's. they send me a mb after I give them my CC and I mail in my old one after I get the replacement.
Been reading on different forums bout the horror stories with their rma process and really don't wanna give them my CC info now, jeesh, I wonder if I can get it turned into a normal rma and just mail the old board back, stuck on a old core 2 duo cpu and a asrock mb while my core i7 is just gathering dust *sigh*

I would do the CC thing. Then if they send you a dead board, you can tell them to ship you a brand new board overnight, and if they won't, then do a chargeback on your CC.

My last Asus board was when I had a E6550. I dont remember what model as it was ages ago, but I got it and it never worked. Sent it to Asus who took their damn sweet time and got it back a month later. Still didnt work, bought a new board MSI which worked beautifully and RMA'd second time and sold it on ebay. Swore off Asus since then, when I went to buy a new board last week at microcenter I remembered reading about all the BS at Asus lately and I am glad I went with MSI. Companies rise and fall, Asus has fallen and I will never spend money to pick them up again.

My last Asus board was when I had a E6550. I dont remember what model as it was ages ago, but I got it and it never worked. Sent it to Asus who took their damn sweet time and got it back a month later. Still didnt work, bought a new board MSI which worked beautifully and RMA'd second time and sold it on ebay. Swore off Asus since then, when I went to buy a new board last week at microcenter I remembered reading about all the BS at Asus lately and I am glad I went with MSI. Companies rise and fall, Asus has fallen and I will never spend money to pick them up again.

Sadly you don't have a choice sometimes, like with the 2013 Nexus 7.
Annoys the hell out of me that I ended up supporting ASUS that way, even if it's (thankfully) problem free so far.

Why do Asus boards always use the best components if they are so bad? They also often get the best reviews? Is it all a scam?

It honestly isn't the boards. It is the customer support and quality control in general. RMA has always been hit and miss with them. All companies have their ups and downs though.

Why do Asus boards always use the best components if they are so bad? They also often get the best reviews? Is it all a scam?

I believe 8 years ago MSI were just a low quality OEM vendor, basically.. Seems like they're a different company today. My MSI laptop has served me pretty well!

All I have left to build my PC now is the motherboard.. Too much negative stuff about ASUS in a lot of places has turned me off on trying one. I've gone with Gigabyte my last few builds, but the board I'm looking at doesn't seem to be sold by Amazon (while the model above and below are) and I'm not too sure about buying from Newegg either.

I'm pretty much steering toward MSI now.

Umm, MSI was doing highend cards over 10 years, they were far from "OEM" junk, I would dare to say with the exception of their GPU's their mobo's went to absolute shit now. Their newer socket 1150's might actually make me change that statement but hey, here's my MSI GPU graveyard.

IMG_00000464_zpsc3676cb0.jpg

The results will be the same if you send in any of the following products: Display, Graphics Card, Motherboard, Networking, and Server.

Basically if you have an RMA and you sent it to Jeffersonville, Indiana then your chances of having rma problems are 99%.

The engineers in Taiwan have no control over what the US American service organization does. They get the blame for high RMA rates, though :)

Most of what Asus (and others) are doing here would be straight illegal in Europe, BTW.

haha well for once Asus can use the "physical damage" excuse

i stopped with Asus a couple years ago, go sick of their bullshit and piss poor RMA service

The engineers in Taiwan have no control over what the US American service organization does. They get the blame for high RMA rates, though :)

Most of what Asus (and others) are doing here would be straight illegal in Europe, BTW.

I feel this way with just about every company that exists these days. They all want your money then screw you on the product and or support. Buying things is nothing but more headache no matter what it is or who screws it up.

Most high end builders I have talked with say MSI is ok for their customers who want to save money, but they won't run them themselves due to quality issues.

I feel this way with just about every company that exists these days. They all want your money then screw you on the product and or support. Buying things is nothing but more headache no matter what it is or who screws it up.

Most high end builders I have talked with say MSI is ok for their customers who want to save money, but they won't run them themselves due to quality issues.

As someone who just switched from an Asus to an MSI motherboard, I just can't win, can I...

actually they do. They just dont care.

Also in addition to what i said above. Dont ever buy anything refurbished from Asus. It all comes from the same repair centers. The same repair center also does alot of other refurb work for other brands. I used to work for Asus.

You know what I just realized, I bought an Asus router (AC-68) on black friday. I hope I dont have to RMA that.

You know what I just realized, I bought an Asus router (AC-68) on black friday. I hope I dont have to RMA that.

Wow I like the plugs for that one better than my AC66U I got for my birthday. I love the router as long as I'm on the AC network, my N band constantly drops out. I think I'm going to have to RMA it. What does the AC68 offer over the 66U?

Wow I like the plugs for that one better than my AC66U I got for my birthday. I love the router as long as I'm on the AC network, my N band constantly drops out. I think I'm going to have to RMA it. What does the AC68 offer over the 66U?

All I know is that it has better throughput. I was going to get a Netgear R7000 but I found a good deal on the AC68U.

Got an Asus router too, but 6 months before Black Friday. Still works great.

As for the MB, in the RMA process... will report back. basically, one of the RAM slots failed and i was booting with only half my available ram. Didn't even realize it at first, because I don't tinkered with the PC much since it runs fairly well. There was a drop off in performance at one point, but i thought it was more malware or what just my OS SSD getting over loaded (which it was).

Getting an advanced RMA process going, will see where it goes.

Ive had GREAT luck with Asus and there RMA's. they might think the same thing as "bigdogchris" does..
What the hell is he doing to kill all these boards,, I know if was a motherboard company and the same person just kept RMA'ing motherboards and they all have similar issues, eventually i would start saying NO as well..

Yup.. the RMA is bad.. I got back a board with a bad PCIe slot... hilarious. (at least the RAM slots work now)

Come on now, you just need working ram slots. Now you are just being greedy wanting everything to work.............

I'm wondering if they just test one slot and move on. Seems to be a strong hint of just using one gpu in the first slot and moving on. Or perhaps a late Friday or early Monday morning test run. Sorry you got another trade off in the ram process.

Yup.. the RMA is bad.. I got back a board with a bad PCIe slot... hilarious. (at least the RAM slots work now)

Come on now, you just need working ram slots. Now you are just being greedy wanting everything to work.

lol touche.. i need the all the card slots to work except the last two (the PCI and the PCIe). Ironically, the third PCIe slot works, but i can't use it.

I bought the G73JH... after a while, the keyboard went bad. They refused to send me a keyboard and told me to RMA the entire laptop, or I could order a keyboard for 90 dollars.

It's the only issue I've had with it, but still, that was disappointing service.

I've avoided buying their mainboards after I had a P4P800 Deluxe continually chirp SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST randomly. The CPU worked in 4 other boards perfectly fine, but not the ASUS... also tried 4 other P4s in it, same deal. It was intermittently doing it.

I've RMAd a video card and two motherboards from them in the last year. Got a brand new video card back... a refurb motherboard back in perfect working order.. and another motherboard, I sent to them because the onboard audio quit. They sent it back with a BIOS flash. I complained online to the RMA reps... they sent me a shipping label to send it back. I always thought they just threw a faulty part on the scrap heap or send out a new or refurb. They actually soldered circuits on the motherboard and now the audio works great. It was a bit of a hastle... but they acutally soldered my motherboard... in a way, I think that's kinda awesome. Like they paid special attention to it to fix it. A brand new board would have been nice.. but...it was an open box from Amazon to begin with. I don't think I even technically had a warranty.

Let's put it this way.. I have no complaints with ASUS RMA. Actually, I read all these RMA horror stories.. I don't think I've ever had a problem RMAing ... anything. And I've done at least 100 manufacturer RMAs over the years.

I've RMAd a video card and two motherboards from them in the last year. Got a brand new video card back... a refurb motherboard back in perfect working order.. and another motherboard, I sent to them because the onboard audio quit. They sent it back with a BIOS flash. I complained online to the RMA reps... they sent me a shipping label to send it back. I always thought they just threw a faulty part on the scrap heap or send out a new or refurb. They actually soldered circuits on the motherboard and now the audio works great. It was a bit of a hastle... but they acutally soldered my motherboard... in a way, I think that's kinda awesome. Like they paid special attention to it to fix it. A brand new board would have been nice.. but...it was an open box from Amazon to begin with. I don't think I even technically had a warranty.

Let's put it this way.. I have no complaints with ASUS RMA. Actually, I read all these RMA horror stories.. I don't think I've ever had a problem RMAing ... anything. And I've done at least 100 manufacturer RMAs over the years.
Consider how many products ASUS is selling, then consider how many horror stories you've read. It's gotta be like 1%.

So either the other 99% have products that work fine, and/or their personal RMA's are fine.
I've never had anything from ASUS fail (except their shitty 280x which is broken from the assembly line) so hopefully I never have to worry about their RMA.

I bought the G73JH... after a while, the keyboard went bad. They refused to send me a keyboard and told me to RMA the entire laptop, or I could order a keyboard for 90 dollars.

It's the only issue I've had with it, but still, that was disappointing service.

This is honestly a invalid reason to hate asus. I used to work in the Laptop RMA dept. You cant really expect a company to go off of your diagnosis of their product and performt he repair. They need you to send it in for them to diagnose, order parts, repair and it has to go through a final testing and inspection before it goes back out to the customer. You would have been looking at maybe 4-5 days from the time you shipped it to them till the time you get it back. I replace several G series laptops and we also had a revised firmware we flashed on all of the G series that came in.

I really hope Gigabyte doesn't disappoint me. They've had my dead GPU for a couple days now and I still haven't heard from them.

Dang, I'm about to rma my x79 sabertooth cause the onboard audio refuses to work. Im hoping I don't get garbage back!

I have RMAd my G75vw and I found it rather easy to do so, so no problems with ASUS RMA for me.

When I rma'd my asus 775 board that died, it went to Indiana. They sent me back the same board and claimed they replaced the south bridge. ( I work in the electronics instrumentation industry and do board level repair on occasion) There is no way that chip got changed!! The folks there basically said I was lying when I asked why the board showed no evidence of repair and would not boot anyway. Encouraged by others here at the [H] I contacted the Asus rep on the boards here. He hooked me up with rma service from California. They agreed the board was definitely unbootable and sent me a matx version of the same board. The replacement board booted, but the nic was bad out of the box. I gave up at that point and do not recommend asus to any of my friends anymore. I also had a similar rma experience with an asus amd matx board. Replacement board died withing 3 months. Replaced with a Gigabyte board and it is still running over a year later.....

Kid

hmmm my ASUS RMA'd GTX680 will be here today. Here's hoping I have no issues LOL my corsair 100i rma should be back tomorrow. Only thing I can say so far is that the ASUS one took a week less time to process and ship.

Right. You sent them a board with broken sound. They flash the BIOS and send it back to you with broken sound.

And that is great RMA service to you?

Right. You sent them a board with broken sound. They flash the BIOS and send it back to you with broken sound.

And that is great RMA service to you?
^^
Them soldering the board instead of sending out replacements is part of why shit gets sent back not working.

hmmm my ASUS RMA'd GTX680 will be here today. Here's hoping I have no issues LOL my corsair 100i rma should be back tomorrow. Only thing I can say so far is that the ASUS one took a week less time to process and ship.

So ASUS sent back my original part, with no note saying what they fixed. Put it back in system and was still acting funky. Got an online chat session to find out what's up..he checks and finds they found no issue so sent it back as is. Now I need to do a advanced replacement to have it replaced. Still waiting to hear back from them to see if service center has a replacement in stock, if not I would need to pay to upgrade??? WTF gonna need to raise high holy hell on this as I already paid to have it shipped to them once. I even ran 3dmark and the 680 scored 2000 points less then my 460, yeah nothing wrong with it!!!

Anyone know if there is an ASUS rep here?

Back