Feb. has come and gone.. where's Castlevania: SOTN?

RancidWAnnaRIot

EspantaPajaros
So.. i thought this game was supposed to be out for download on XBL???

what the hell happened.. i bought microsoft points, and am waiting for it..

anyone know anything?? is there an official rlease date?

I've been waiting for this FOREVER --> my credit card is ready, MS. Where is my SOTN?

They're not upgrading it with 3D graphics, which they aren't doing with the game for PSP either. However, this is a complete port of the original game - not emulation. As such, it will have built-in support for widescreen - which is nice - and the sprites have been redone at a higher resolution.

too bad that they're not updating it with 3D graphics like the new castlevania game for the psp.

Oh god no. I wouldn't want that at all. What made it look great was the art direction they went in the 2D sprite realm. I saw the videos for the Dracula X remake. While it still looks ok, I don't feel like it added any improvement over Dracula X.

Perhaps it didn't pass certification. Was it 2 weeks ago, when there was no new Live Arcade game released? Major Nelson said the game they were intending to launch (not sure what it was) didn't happen, and their "backup" games hadn't passed certification either, so they had nothing to put up.

Perhaps it didn't pass certification. Was it 2 weeks ago, when there was no new Live Arcade game released? Major Nelson said the game they were intending to launch (not sure what it was) didn't happen, and their "backup" games hadn't passed certification either, so they had nothing to put up.

i see i see.. that's a shame..

what exactly is certification?

Certification is the Quality assurance and compatability test that all xbl games have to go through to make sure they are bug free, work with the matchmaking and voicechat, and so forth.

It's definitely not a bad thing, but I just wish it would be a *shorter* thing.

The MS Certification takes a looooong time...and agree - wish they could figure out a way that would bring some fluidity and speed up the process.

I just replayed that on PS1 last week, don't need it on xbox.

One of the best games of all time. and soundtrak is perfect.

I'm thinking about getting this when it comes out, that is truely my favorite Playstation game...

WOOT, cant wait!!. Now ill have to go get some points. I havent bought anything and have been holding out for this game.

Rather get the PSP version over this, the graphics look worse on the X360 then it does on the PSX thanks to the new resolution and well them not really reworking the sprites.

Rather get the PSP version over this, the graphics look worse on the X360 then it does on the PSX thanks to the new resolution and well them not really reworking the sprites.

there's a PSP version?

i don't care much for graphics

there's a PSP version?

i don't care much for graphics

Sometime this year, they are going to release the game on the PSP with the remake of Dracula X. On the PSP version the game will be improved rather then a direct port like this was. They plan on redoing the dubbing aswell as modify it alittle more.

Neither version has the Saturn content but thats nothing special since it was rushed and well lame (I have the Saturn version aswell).

I will probably still get the X360 version just because I love the game, I want to own it on every medium. :eek:

This isn't a straight up port. What do you think they've been doing with it for all this time?

Never really cared for it myself though.

This isn't a straight up port. What do you think they've been doing with it for all this time?

Never really cared for it myself though.

Actually other then raising the resolution its a perfect port of the PSX, they have not added or remade any content. They claimed to have "optimized" the sprites for the new resolution but every shot I have seen makes it look like the PSX version played at a higher resolution, sprites don't look any more detailed or even different. It took so long because they had to fight with MS to increase the Xbox Live download limit for the game since its larger then the 50MB limit.

* Achievements, to challenge players to completely conquer Dracula's castle
* Leaderboards, so you can vie for position with other players to become the undisputed worldwide master of Symphony of the Night
* Enhanced background visuals that take advantage of the HD graphics capabilities of the Xbox 360
* All of the original PlayStation music, sprites, and gameplay content

* Perfectly ported controls let you experience every battle and boss fight as originally envisioned
* Gamer themes and picture packs to let you customize your Xbox 360 in Castlevania style

Other then the Xbox Live features its a port... take a look at the screenshots, they didn't even make it full screen. The game is still played at a 4:3 aspect ratio.
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/846/846656/imgs_1.html

The PSP version will be remade to take the PSPs screen into consideration so it will be full screen aswell as widescreen rather then stretched or windowed.

I've heard they did make it 16:9 and I saw some screenshots but I can't find them. We'll find out wed. for sure.

The link you quoted contradicts what you just said...

Anyway, it appears that they applied a smoothing effect to the spirtes, at least. Maybe that's what they meant with improved visuals.

Actually other then raising the resolution its a perfect port of the PSX, they have not added or remade any content. They claimed to have "optimized" the sprites for the new resolution but every shot I have seen makes it look like the PSX version played at a higher resolution, sprites don't look any more detailed or even different. It took so long because they had to fight with MS to increase the Xbox Live download limit for the game since its larger then the 50MB limit.

* Achievements, to challenge players to completely conquer Dracula's castle
* Leaderboards, so you can vie for position with other players to become the undisputed worldwide master of Symphony of the Night
* Enhanced background visuals that take advantage of the HD graphics capabilities of the Xbox 360
* All of the original PlayStation music, sprites, and gameplay content

* Perfectly ported controls let you experience every battle and boss fight as originally envisioned
* Gamer themes and picture packs to let you customize your Xbox 360 in Castlevania style

Other then the Xbox Live features its a port... take a look at the screenshots, they didn't even make it full screen. The game is still played at a 4:3 aspect ratio.
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/846/846656/imgs_1.html

The PSP version will be remade to take the PSPs screen into consideration so it will be full screen aswell as widescreen rather then stretched or windowed.

Port...you keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means.

what xbox version? this came on playstation one only. sure if you have a modded xbox you could play it with a psx emu though.

what xbox version? this came on playstation one only. sure if you have a modded xbox you could play it with a psx emu though.

Xbox version as in Xbox live arcade.. it's coming out for download this wednesday..

that's what the thread is about....

I never played this one, only played the original on NES and the one on SNES where you could use the whip and swing on certain points. Is this one worth picking up?

I never played this one, only played the original on NES and the one on SNES where you could use the whip and swing on certain points. Is this one worth picking up?

Uh yeah it's worth picking up. General consensus is that it's the best Castlevania. I tend to agree. It owes a lot to Super Metroid and the GBA & DS Castlevania's copy the formula of Symphony Of The Night.

my favorite part of the game was that sunglasses reduce intelligence.

:cool:

(edited for sunglass smiley)

Man i cant wait for wednesday. STALKER, Castlevania, armored core 4, earth defense force. This is a good week for me. Aslong as you ignore my wallet.

I've never gotten to play SOTN so im totally stoked about it too.

I'm probly going to buy it either way, but I think we should wait for the demo to see how they do the enhanced graphics and whatnot. If it's like every other Digital Eclipse port, it'll have the ability to stretch the image to fit the screen and stuff. This is the 1st time I see them saying something about widescreen support and stuff, so hopefully it's a different effect than they've used previously.

Back