Feast in time of plague: thinking about NEC 2490 despite the economic crisis

Hi all,

As a belated birthday present to myself, I decided to buy a NEC 2490WUXi. I am really spoiled by the Dell 2005FPW (a S-IPS panel), but it starts showing its age, and the NEC looks like the most logical upgrade path. I briefly considered the 24" HP S-IPS, but I don't want to go through the high-gamut issues. Couple of questions:

1) What is the best place to buy the monitor given that I live in the USA? I am mostly concerned with the return policy -- it is a very expensive monitor, and if I get dead/stuck pixels I'd like to exchange it.

2) I am thinking about the SV version (with the colorimeter). Frankly, I am a n00b when it comes to properly calibrating a monitor (my monitor is calibrated using web tutorials, but it's not exactly "the way to do it"), colorspaces, and all the related body of knowledge--and this is a great opportunity to learn more about it. Does the SV version include a good colorimeter or can I buy something better for ~same money? Do I get full-functionality calibration software with it or some castrated version? (Sorry for possibly asking a question that's already answered, but the 2490-related threads are really long.)

Thanks!

As an owner of an NEC 20WMGX2 (AS-IPS) the 2490 would also be my choice if they weren't so expensive. Having said that, if everyone (that still has a job) would start spending again the economy might get a little kick.;)

edit- for calibration I would get an Eye-one LT/Pro....as you can also use that to calibrate any HDTV you might have. I use one to calibrate my monitors and then pair it with a free program called "Colormetre HCFR" for my plasma.

The Spectraiew software is without a doubt the way to do calibration, although it does work with a number of different colorimeters. However, there are threads around in photo forums where people have been unable to find the software-only package for sale for any price. No one, including NEC themselves, seem to be stocking it.

Were I in your shoes, and not already owning a colorimeter, I would just by the -SV version of the monitor.

Last edited:
On Friday, TechForLess was selling NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK (brand new, factory sealed) for $607. It was gone within a few hours. That's one place you could try checking regularly for deals. However, they don't have a dead pixel exchange policy.

On Friday, TechForLess was selling NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK (brand new, factory sealed) for $607. It was gone within a few hours. That's one place you could try checking regularly for deals. However, they don't have a dead pixel exchange policy.
Right now they are selling the refurb for $562 + ~$35 shipping. ;)

I purchased my first one from buy.com. Big mistake - one dead pixel in the middle of the screen. None of those "dead pixel fixing" programs worked, and I didn't want to accidentally crack the screen by pushing my luck w/ the rub/tap method. NEC wouldn't exchange it, and Buy slapped a 15% restock fee on it. Never again.

The second one was from amazon.com. This one was perfect - no issues or dead pixels. I think amazon's return policy is a little more lenient and they'll take it back even if its just one dead pixel.

Some people may have got around restock fees by claiming other defects like uneven lighting, etc.

That said, if you're cash strapped, the 2209WA might be a good alternative. You could get almost FIVE of those for the cost of one 2490, although obviously the 2490 is higher quality. I use a 2209WA at work and it's very good for the price.

I don't know the exact situation in the USA, but in Europe the Spectraview version of 2490/2690 is much more expensive than regular, but is guaranteed to have perfect screen. Although this "perfect" does include dead subpixels - e.g. my 2690 has one bad red subpixel, luckily it normally can't be seen, I found it when closely looking for dead pixels.
Anyway, maybe also in the USA you can be more lucky to get better screens with the SV version.

Many thanks to all who replied.

I am set on the SV version now, even though it's more expensive (Biges, it's about $150-200 more than regular version here in the US, primarily because regular version enjoys small discounts nowadays). I'll have to wait a few more days (new credit card on the way) -- hopefully I won't think about it too much and change my mind :D, because I really wanted this monitor for a while.

I am set on the SV version now, even though it's more expensive (Biges, it's about $150-200 more than regular version here in the US, primarily because regular version enjoys small discounts nowadays). I'll have to wait a few more days (new credit card on the way) -- hopefully I won't think about it too much and change my mind :D, because I really wanted this monitor for a while.

Well, you also get EyeOne2 calibrator and software for the extra price :)
I think you will not be disappointed. Especially if you monitor has zero dead pixels.

It sounded like you were intending to perform calibration all along. Given that, I'm not sure why another $150 would give you pause.

The ONLY way to bother calibrating a 90 series is with SpectraView, period. The level of integration and perfection in the result is far superior to GPU LUT methods. The software alone is priced at $99, and I've read that it can't be found anywhere. A good colorimeter compatible with SV can be anywhere from $100-$200 alone as well (that doesn't mean any old Pantone Huey or Spyder 1 from Ebay).

$150 for the package seems like a pretty good deal to me, if you were going to do it anyways. A lot of photographers always get the -SV version even if they already have a colorimeter because it's such a good deal. They sell the extra hardware on the side and come out ahead. If you intend to calibrate a 90 series AND don't already have a colorimeter, -SV version is a no brainer from a price standpoint.

Wanted to chime in from someone that owns a 2007WFP IPS (similar if not the same panel as the 2005) and purchased a 2490 as a companion upgrade to it. I can say first hand, that the 2490 is probably the *only* 24" sRGB monitor out there in the US that actually feels like an upgrade from the 2007WFP not only in size but image quality as well.

I was in pretty much the same situation, wanted something bigger but at the very least equal in image quality to what I already had. Unless you go wide gamut, there's nothing else close if you've already been spoiled by a 200x IPS or other similarly high-grade panel and are set on only IPS.

Also, from what I've seen firsthand and what was confirmed (here I believe) while the SV2 package will get you the absolute best results, unless you're doing color critical work and require a profile as well, turning ColorComp to 1 will get you very close to what a straight sRGB calibration will give you as it loads a good factory calibration.

I have the 2490 (SV) and it is by far the best monitor I have EVER owned (and I have had a lot of screens in my time). I am such a fanb0i, that I plan to buy a 2nd 2490 for my next build and move my current one to the office.

Do yourself a favor and also purchase a 6500K, 90CRI bias light from CinemaQuest. It will really make this monitor shine!

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

OK, you guys convinced me :D:cool:
Bougth it from Amazon dealer Restockit, since they only have a 5% restocking fee and actually accept returns on LCDs. Some dealers warn you that they don't accept returns on LCDs/Plasmas :rolleyes:

Again, thanks to everyone who answered.

UltraCow, good to hear that you are happy with yours coming from a 20" S-IPS Dell. Makes the waiting even harder.

mike_j_johnson, I'll definitely look into that light.

Back