Fears Windows 10 Will Blow Data Caps

The real issue is the existence of data caps.

Wont you think of the telco companies barley scraping by?

What are we going to do when we run out of data? Its not like its an infinite resource like oil or something.

The changes between Windows 7, 8.x and 10 are definitely worth having. You may not recognize that immediately...or ever if you've stubbornly clung to Windows 7 this long when everything that was wrong with 8.x (Metro interface and start menu being removed) was easy to fix. Granted instilling a new OS then having to "fix" it should've never been necessary.

Windows 10 is what Windows 8.x should've been + several more years of development + focus on universal apps across platforms (phone, tablet, PC) + Microsoft having a CEO that is actually focusing on some things that matter now. It's HUGE and it'll still be there when you figure that out, if you haven't converted to a Mac by then. ;)

Here's one of many articles you can find about why you should go from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - and you can poke fun at all the poor slobs who "suffered" with Windows 8.x which you totally skipped if you like. That I'll just soak up and not reply to - but "isn't worth having" I *had* to reply to. :D
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/o...ows-7-vs-window-10-comparison-review-3617974/

The only thing in the review that may make me upgrade my main box (from 8/8.1) is DX12, the rest of the 'features' are pretty irrelevant to me. I have Win 10 on my laptop so I 'have' been using it.

1) DX12. The only change between Win 7 and Win 10 that I think will have an impact for me.
2) Privacy!! The default sharing of info with Microsoft after the install is just terrible. I spent quite a bit of time finding all the bits and piece to turn off.
2) I don't like the new Start Menu. There's no hierarchy so configurability is somewhat lacking. Also it has a fairly small size limitation on menu items. I'll just stick with Classic Shell
3) Virtual desktops. I don't use them on my linux box so I doubt I'd use them on Windows 10.
4) Microsoft Store. In the ~2 years that I've been running Win 8/8.1, I haven't found a single 'App' that I actually wanted to install. I'll stick to the more powerful Win32 applications I'm running.
5) OneDrive. Hard drives are incredibly cheap these days so why bother with OneDrive? I'd rather have all my 'private' data in my own grubby hands. If I really need some data accessible while away from home, I've got a friendly little usb key (128GB) that I can load up and bring with me.
6) Live tiles. This is actually the first thing I turned off when I got Win 8. It's an unneeded distraction for me.
7) Cortana. I don't want to talk to my computer! Also, for Cortana to be useful, you've really got to share all your stuff with Microsoft. That's just not going to happen with me. I really don't need an 'assistant' when I'm playing/working on my desktop.

Seriously, Cortana is creepy and faddish. It feels amazingly stupid to talk to a computer. I can't even use like a voice chat thing without feeling like an idiot for speaking at my PC. Trying out Cortana was a million times worse because it was just massively stupid feleing.

Also yeah, Windows 10 is a major advance for Microsoft in the "OS-as-a-creeper" department. They're rapidly catching up with Google on the whole watching you do things...um...thing.

I have not had any real issues other than I still have a bit to learn about it. When someone needs actual help, I can understand a bit of hand holding to get them up to speed. However, the greatest generation, today it is not.

Seriously, Cortana is creepy and faddish. It feels amazingly stupid to talk to a computer.

There's been voice interaction technology available for PCs for decades now, long before mobile devices. Of course it's always had its problems but there are practical can convenient uses of this technology. And like much technology there are the cultural stigmas and generational gaps. But simply being able to say "Hey Cortana" and have it do a web search while still in another program and never having to move the mouse or use the keyboard can be very practical in certain environments.

In any case while it might be niche or creepy this kind of technology is hardly a fad and is never going away simply because it has practical uses.

I have not had any real issues other than I still have a bit to learn about it. When someone needs actual help, I can understand a bit of hand holding to get them up to speed. However, the greatest generation, today it is not.

I've upgraded three people now and they've not really had any issues with it. I've made note to people about privacy concerns by telling them that it works very much like a smartphone in that area by default and so far no one's really been upset about it. As for the updates I've mentioned that as well but for these particular users that's what they need.

There's been voice interaction technology available for PCs for decades now, long before mobile devices. Of course it's always had its problems but there are practical can convenient uses of this technology. And like much technology there are the cultural stigmas and generational gaps. But simply being able to say "Hey Cortana" and have it do a web search while still in another program and never having to move the mouse or use the keyboard can be very practical in certain environments.

In any case while it might be niche or creepy this kind of technology is hardly a fad and is never going away simply because it has practical uses.

If someone is too lazy to move a mouse a very tiny distance and poke the buttons on it a few times, I dunno...I'm not sure they're the kinds of people that will do anything useful. They'll end up joining the Tea Party, become Libertarians, join the NRA or something equally selfish and bad for the future of the world.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to side with MS on this one. Do we allow the systems connected to the internet to remain a swiss cheese hodgepodge of varying states of "updatedness" or do we secure the OS ASAP for the sake of security.

I say the latter. I chastise any user who is ignoring updates. In fact my neighbor just asked me for help recently and I went to look at his Win7 system. He had never even applied SP1 and I basically said for him to give up and re-install. No update was going to fix the amount of damage his neglect had caused. I helped him get his important files then we re-installed everything.

No excuse for patch laziness unless you are a business doing "change control."

im not a nitwit, ive been on this site, FOREVER.

I "get it"

but in the last month I was hit with 133 GIGS of "system services" through ATT

here is the bill(it was never over 180 before)

and its not what you think- this is ATT billing-

they want it ALL

they are looking for somebody

and they are making everyone else pay for it.

zAYjm7t.jpg

So what's this going to do for someone who is on dialup?

I just got DSL here a couple years ago and the best connection I can get here is 1.5Mb, a half mile past my house is still no DSL.

So is Microsoft now saying that if you live in a rural area and just want a simple laptop you are going to have to opt for super expensive satellite or 3G/4G(even though some of us can't even access those either) internet service even if we only use it to check emails or pay bills online?

I'm sorry if you are on that limited of a connection, WHY are you signing up for preview builds.

If someone is too lazy to move a mouse a very tiny distance and poke the buttons on it a few times, I dunno...I'm not sure they're the kinds of people that will do anything useful. They'll end up joining the Tea Party, become Libertarians, join the NRA or something equally selfish and bad for the future of the world.

Well, well, your opinions are always interesting and hilarious! Thanks for the laugh :D

So what's this going to do for someone who is on dialup?

I just got DSL here a couple years ago and the best connection I can get here is 1.5Mb, a half mile past my house is still no DSL.

So is Microsoft now saying that if you live in a rural area and just want a simple laptop you are going to have to opt for super expensive satellite or 3G/4G(even though some of us can't even access those either) internet service even if we only use it to check emails or pay bills online?

The smartest thing to do would be give Microsoft the finger and install Linux.

Just want to add, the only reason I use Windows is because I am a gamer, if I wasn't there would be no good reason to stay on Windows.

I'm sorry if you are on that limited of a connection, WHY are you signing up for preview builds.

Im not, I am sticking with W7 on the one laptop I use for imaging with my telescope, until I can get Linux software to control the camera.

I am just wondering about the other people around me who have W7 who will click on the update icon without knowing what it entails.

The icon is already bugging me and I have not updated in months. The most annoying thing about MS updates is they usually hit just as I am ready to walk out the door and go somewhere and it pops up and says Do not shut down your computer until updates are finished installing, then it proceeds to take 20 minutes to update. Mint never does that to me.

Yeah, all those Linux distro's and updates are Zero Megabytes in size, right? :rolleyes:

Yes, because no one ever downloads them.;) I know people will say how Windows 10 upgrades are being forced and such and that network traffic counters are bogus but looking at GS Stat Counter, on July 28th, the day before Windows 10's general availability, it was tracking by GS's numbers at .3% and Linux at 1.5%. By August 1st, 10 was tracking at 2.47% and Linux at 1.6%. In three days, Microsoft was able to give away more copies of Windows 10 than all of desktop Linux combined in nearly two decades. Again, I get there are reasons and that these numbers aren't the gospel but it's still crazy.

Just because something is more popular than something else does not mean it is better.

Windows 10 isn't in preview anymore. It was officially released at like the end of last month.

Well, well, your opinions are always interesting and hilarious! Thanks for the laugh :D

Always happy to help. :)

Yeah, all those Linux distro's and updates are Zero Megabytes in size, right? :rolleyes:

I can't speak for every distro out there, but Mint 17.2 (and all previous versions of Mint) have had .iso files smaller than 1.5GB for the full OS and quite a few applications that would otherwise have to be downloaded independently of the OS including an office suite, photo editor, and so forth. In addition to that, the security updates generally are a lot smaller and, in its default configuration, Linux distros notify the user that updates are available and wait for someone at the keyboard to direct the system to apply them BEFORE downloading them as opposed to pulling down the update without being prompted.

If you're smart enough to set up a hotspot with your phone you're smart enough to figure out you needed to set your connection to a metered one, you would have ran into this same issue with windows 8 which auto downloaded updates but didn't auto install them always.

Not really. I never update my os. My 7 install is going on 4 years with no patches. Noscript and abp keep me free from web junk.

"A traffic Analysis of Win 10" is something you should find reading out. People got text loggers the whole shebang. Movie habits...

any way the point of this topic is downloading a DVD size amount of data without permission (a 700KB update silently downloads over 3GB of data) you do know SOME people don't/can't have a hardline connection or have Satellite broadband or oppressive country so with have usage limits of 3-15GB or less a month and Microsoft has cost them a lot of money

i install windows updates i know how big they are and that is fine

but not a 700KB update that without my permission now is downloading a 3GB of data (which the KB3035583) to Preload windows 10 before i even pressed the reserve button

Not really. I never update my os. My 7 install is going on 4 years with no patches. Noscript and abp keep me free from web junk.

wow

you do known just looking at a website can screw your system up (something that Chrome and firefox may not save you from), recent ones are Fonts that can own your system (some are system problem that the browser can only limit or not prevent)

at least do the security updates (you can turn off recommended updates and set windows to check for updates but not download them so you can review them)

(i bet the botnet running in the background is loving your no security patch way)

Back