Fear out at Best Buy

twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd
I was at Best Buy today, picking up a new G15 and Mx 1000 laser mouse. I then noticed that they had stocked copies of the regular version of Fear. Now, I did originally want the Director's Cut but I see getting a few days early as a nice trade off. I have yet to open it, as getting the game on DVD sure would be nice.

bestbuy always does this with movies and games.ima try sunday for quake 4 :D

Yeh i picked up the DVD edition of FEAR today from EB (this is in Australia) cause some other store released it early and they didnt want to lose customers lol.

Huh, so you're saying you're waiting for the DVD to come out to install the game? But getting it early was a nice trade-off instead of getting the DC...yet you aren't even installing it?

Nuzzles said:
Huh, so you're saying you're waiting for the DVD to come out to install the game? But getting it early was a nice trade-off instead of getting the DC...yet you aren't even installing it?

lol

HHeRRRmmm....ONEone!!!1111

I think I just might have to buy the game today after work. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah we had FEAR in Circuit City as well, except in CC it said do not sell till 10/17/05, so I couldn't buy it :/

My local one told me they didnt have it. I was thinking about going out there.. its about a 30 min drive though. Nice day for a bike ride though. :D

yeah Im playing it now. My impressions haven't really changed much since the demo.

The textures in this game are fregin horrible. I wouldnt release work like this for a mod. The physics and particle effects bring a tear to my eye though. ;) My art designer friend is crying becausee they wasted such a god engine on such horrible art assets. As far as level design goes it's not so stellar although i do like how they mess with the players perspective from time to time. Game looks like it has a lot to offer (I'm about an hour in) however so Im not all hate. Just haven't seen much of it that doesnt look like deus ex 1.

I love the perspective stuff they do (the girl is farkin saweet) but they always fade out! Oh and the character models are doom 3 plastic in new molds. It kinda makes me feel like I could get a job at monolith though...hmm.

edit: whatsup with the ghey jpegs popping up on screen? It's annoying and is cheesy as hell. I can feel it; they're going to use it all game long. grr

I've heard of quite a few EBs breaking street. I can assure you Gamestops wont be breaking street unless an official from the company allows it.

Great game guys, its probably the scariest one Ive played. Too bad about the crappy textures like someone said earlier. The only problem Im having is some slowdowns when moving around, do you guys think I need more RAM ? Or what would be a quick fix?

Juic3 said:
Great game guys, its probably the scariest one Ive played. Too bad about the crappy textures like someone said earlier. The only problem Im having is some slowdowns when moving around, do you guys think I need more RAM ? Or what would be a quick fix?
Try updating your video card drivers.

Already using the latest NGO, 78.05 I guess and the demo ran awesome, but I got it fixed I think. I closed up all unnecesary proceses, MSN hehe, bumped up 2x AA and saaaaweeeet, I hate that lil girl makes me jump sometimes.

My new graphics card isn't here yet, maybe I should of said that too. I am building a new PC and I am still waiting for the graphics card, it is shipping from CA. I could install it on my old one, but it sucks, so I am not going to even bother. Just have to wait till my new one gets here, then my system will be done.

Juic3 said:
Already using the latest NGO, 78.05 I guess and the demo ran awesome, but I got it fixed I think. I closed up all unnecesary proceses, MSN hehe, bumped up 2x AA and saaaaweeeet, I hate that lil girl makes me jump sometimes.

Try moving to the 81.84 Beta's from nzone. They made my performance in FEAR and BF2 go up quite nicely , I think I was getting anywhere between 5-7 FPS higher with these drivers and BF2 never drops below 50+ FPS anymore. Give them a shot!

^^^^ I would guess both, I know I am getting the DVD!

I think I will stop by BB after work and see if I can get it.

I called BB and they said they didn't have it...but then again, they don't know squat about their products. Guess I'll just have to go up there myself. (30min drive :mad: )

Fry's has it in tempe AZ for 36.99! im on my way

edit: FUCK, once i got there the little short idiot that told me they had them was smoking crack, he told me on the phone they had it in stock and it was on shelves. BUT, he saw the 215 copies in their "system" and matched that info with the preorder boxs he failed to take a closer look to. FUCK FRYS and their stupid failing at life employees. haha jk, but ya i was a lil pissed.

I just confirmed with my local Big Evil Coorperation (The Best Buy) that they had 25 of the FEAR cd's in stock. They are open for me untill 10:00 P.M tonight. I live in Burnsville, Minnesota.

I'm in a CS mood today, but I will pick up fear anyways.

I would be on a huge mission to pick this game up as early as possible, but I am waiting to get my replacement 26" LCD back from warranty replacement.

I don't want to play it on my measly 19" CRT monitor :D

Go it on a DVD.
and you guys know how we have been bitching, that game AI's are not tactical enough. I guess someone listened and made a excellent AL, God i just love their flanking attempts and team work. definitely a must have game. :D

logan1 said:
Go it on a DVD.
and you guys know how we have been bitching, that game AI's are not tactical enough. I guess someone listened and made a excellent AL, God i just love their flanking attempts and team work. definitely a must have game. :D

Yeah the combat is definately awesome. Every "holy shit" moment in this game is combat related - lots of fun.

Attean said:
Yeah the combat is definately awesome. Every "holy shit" moment in this game is combat related - lots of fun.

It gets hard too lol, stupid flanking.

After 5 tests this week i gave myself a little present. i just finished playing threw the entire game. imo it may be the best game of the year. It easily compares to HL2, FarCry and Doom3. Graphically it beats them all, with everything maxed. HL2 seems more polished, but the story was great, the ai is great and it scared the shit outa me several times. I hate games where i get "stuck" and cant figure my way out with out back tracking half the level, i was only held up a few minutes in this game. Only play in the dark with the sound up. Thank you Nvidia for making this possible :) now back to studying gross anatomy.

DruSi3r said:
After 5 tests this week i gave myself a little present. i just finished playing threw the entire game. imo it may be the best game of the year. It easily compares to HL2, FarCry and Doom3. Graphically it beats them all, with everything maxed. HL2 seems more polished, but the story was great, the ai is great and it scared the shit outa me several times. I hate games where i get "stuck" and cant figure my way out with out back tracking half the level, i was only held up a few minutes in this game. Only play in the dark with the sound up. Thank you Nvidia for making this possible :) now back to studying gross anatomy.

So is the game that short, or are you that fast?

DruSi3r said:

the game was pretty grossly unpolished...

DruSi3r said:

So did F.E.A.R. have a good immersive story line?

Isaacav2 said:
I just confirmed with my local Big Evil Coorperation (The Best Buy) that they had 25 of the FEAR cd's in stock. They are open for me untill 10:00 P.M tonight. I live in Burnsville, Minnesota.

I'm in a CS mood today, but I will pick up fear anyways.

I quote myself because I am further reinforcing why I call "The Big Evil Coorperation" The Best Buy :mad: :mad: Not only is their "customer support" beyond terrible, I just recieved the worst experience ever. All in all, no FEAR at Burnsville M.N. ASSHOLES!!! (best buy)

NEVER EEVER buy anything from there. I'm glad I didn't give them my money in the end.
:mad:

Your mad because you couldnt buy a copy of a game before street date? How original. It is not suppossed to be out so the fact that they are not selling it is good. Even if they do have it in stock, they have no reason to sell it to you nor do they have any obligation to make you happy by risking a fine for breaking a street date on a major release. Some people are just so ridiculouslly obsessive and have to have everything when they want. And if they dont get it then it is the end of the world. Its just a game, if you cant buy it early then wait, not a big deal.

kingsleytim said:
Your mad because you couldnt buy a copy of a game before street date? How original. It is not suppossed to be out so the fact that they are not selling it is good. Even if they do have it in stock, they have no reason to sell it to you nor do they have any obligation to make you happy by risking a fine for breaking a street date on a major release. Some people are just so ridiculouslly obsessive and have to have everything when they want. And if they dont get it then it is the end of the world. Its just a game, if you cant buy it early then wait, not a big deal.
He's pissed because he called BEFORE he went, and they told him they had so many copies ready for sell. Only after he got there did they not actually have any. Best Buy needs to train their employees good enough to figure out if they can sell particular stock or not.

Sounds like he wasted gas and time when he did the correct thing in calling first. I'd be pissed too.

Isaacav2 said:
I quote myself because I am further reinforcing why I call "The Big Evil Coorperation" The Best Buy :mad: :mad: Not only is their "customer support" beyond terrible, I just recieved the worst experience ever. All in all, no FEAR at Burnsville M.N. ASSHOLES!!! (best buy)

NEVER EEVER buy anything from there. I'm glad I didn't give them my money in the end.
:mad:

Burnsville or Apple Valley (the one off Cedar)???

Still no reason to get so steaming mad because he couldnt buy the game early. It was worth a shot and it didnt work big deal. The employees are trained to work for little money, most of them do not care about such things and thats a sad fact. I personally do not shop there for customer service reasons but i would not get so mad if i was misinformed about having a game instock instead of having it in stock and able to sell. There are other things in life to worry about, not worth losing sleep over. I cant wait to get my dvd directors copy, i preordered and have next day shipping, waiting is teh suck but sometimes its a way of life.

Back