FEAR Combat - Surrender to advertisers?

Initially it seemd like a good idea, expand your player base by offering free multiplayer. I am currently downloading the client, but I was scared offf by the CD key sign up. WTF do they need all that personal info? I can just BS it all and probably will, but I cannot BS the email, and I noticed at the bottom of the page you cannot uncheck "recieve offers from seirra"

How can I obtain a CD key without the ads?

Make an email specifically for this purpose? Make up an address like "You don't deserve my info street, No info, Alaska, 12345, United States of No Info"?

Make a junkmail email account and have them send it with their junk to it? Thats what I do, I still check my junkmail account, but only when I am expecting something.

no such thing as a free lunch.. Setup a hotmail, or other free email account.. Use it for this and then forget about it.. Or use it for other similar things... I seldom give out the email address I actually use daily.. I just use a hotmail account for that sort of thing..

GORANKAR said:
no such thing as a free lunch.. Setup a hotmail, or other free email account.. Use it for this and then forget about it.. Or use it for other similar things... I seldom give out the email address I actually use daily.. I just use a hotmail account for that sort of thing..

Yes, but not using the same email address for everything is a pain in the ass down the road if you ever want to come back and play a game again after forgetting integral information.

Mountain out of a mole hill? It's a free game. Get a couple spams a month. Doesn't seem too bad to me. That delete button is generally only one click away in my e-mail client.

I also reccomend dodgeit.com, just give them any address @dodgeit.com, and as soon as dodgeit receives the email, they'll creating an inbox which anyone can access. So let's say you give [email protected], just go to Dodgeit, type enrickey, and any emails sent to it will be displayed. The emails are only deleted after a month, so you have more than enough time to check.

shadowwyvern said:
and I noticed at the bottom of the page you cannot uncheck "recieve offers from seirra"
err yes you can ? Just click on the checkbox itself.

I doubt they are doing this to get your personal details and sell it to spam companies or whatever. They are most likely doing this to
(1) Bolster the F.E.A.R. multiplayer game as it was pretty much dying
and
(2) Generate enough interest in the F.E.A.R. franchise to hopefully sell the original + upcoming expansion.

Back