FCP Vs Premier

gaer42

Limp Gawd
Hi, <- My casual Greeting

Hopefully there are a few video editors out there on the forum... cause this one is program specific....

So I have been an avid Final Cut Pro guy for the last 4 years. I love the program.... I can work very easily in it but recently I got a new job in which I have been using both FCP and Adobe Premier.

Here is my issue... I have been using files that come in as MPEG 2 and have been using MPEG Streamclip to convert them over to a ProRes file for FCP. From FCP I have had to export them into 3 formats
1. Mpeg 4 (the file format our website takes)
2. FLV (Format for online video sites)
3. QuickTime (XDCAM) for our tricaster

The last week I have been using FCP and my render times have been (for a 5 min clip)
1. Mpeg 1 hour+
2. FLV 20 min+
3. QuickTime (XDCAM) 1 hour +

Yesterday I was told to use Premier as my boss uses Premier on a regualr basis and I assured him that the times would be the same as FCP is a Mac native program and that Premier was made to work on a mac but is essentially a PC program (I am eating my words now)...

I redid the renders on the same file...
On premier the render times were
1. Mpeg 30+ min
2. FLV 12 min
3. QuickTime (XDCAM) 40 min

Why is this? Do I just have something really messed up in my settings that FCP is not rendering quickly and Premier is? I would hate to have to hop over to Premier... I enjoy using FCP way to much.

The other question I have is why are FCP render times not accurate...

The renders will start saying 5 min then 10 then an hour etc.... and the time will not be accurate. If it says 5 min it may go for an hour... or if it says an hour it may just complete while still telling me I have an hour to wait.

Adobe Premier, right off the bat, will tell me the frame it is on and the percent and time left... almost to the T.

If possible... please help me get my fcp back on the right track.

Tim

You're probably going to be better off asking this on the Apple support forums.

Have you tried using compressor to do the conversion?

Yea... I tried and Compressor is a bit faster... times are still off and the quality at the same settings is not as good (Unless going to an MPG2 or an apple native format such as QT H.264)

You're probably going to be better off asking this on the Apple support forums

This would be the first thing I would think of except the last time I talked with Apple Support it was because I needed cables to attach fire wire and 2 monitors to a mac mini... and they swore up and down that you cannot do that. It is impossible according to Apple Support... well I am right now talking to you through a Mac Mini with 2 22 inch monitors attached and a firewire 800 drive attached at the same time... so I don't quite trust what they have to say.

This forum has never lead me wrong... and if no one knows I usually get some ideas from the replies...

This would be the first thing I would think of except the last time I talked with Apple Support it was because I needed cables to attach fire wire and 2 monitors to a mac mini... and they swore up and down that you cannot do that. It is impossible according to Apple Support... well I am right now talking to you through a Mac Mini with 2 22 inch monitors attached and a firewire 800 drive attached at the same time... so I don't quite trust what they have to say.

This forum has never lead me wrong... and if no one knows I usually get some ideas from the replies...

The Apple support forums and Apple tech support are two different things.

Back