FCC Wants Gigabit Internet In All 50 States

HardOCP News

[H] News
FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski wants gigabit internet in all 50 states by 2015. The catch? He actually said "at least one gigabit community in all 50 states." Oh well, at least it's a start.

Today at the U.S. Conference of Mayors Winter Meeting, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski called for at least one gigabit community in all 50 states by 2015. Challenging broadband providers and state and municipal community leaders to come together to meet this “Gigabit City Challenge,” Chairman Genachowski said that establishing gigabit communities nationwide will accelerate the creation of a critical mass of markets and innovation hubs with ultra-fast Internet speeds. Chairman Genachowski said, “American economic history teaches a clear lesson about infrastructure. If we build it, innovation will come. The U.S. needs a critical mass of gigabit communities nationwide so that innovators can develop next-generation applications and services that will drive economic growth and global competitiveness.”

Too bad they didn't say that the ISPs can't charge whatever they feel like for this service.

If the ISPs have their way, they would want to charge a couple grand or higher a month to make sure nobody actually subscribes to it in orde rto make it so that they don't have to upgrade anything.

By "community" they probably mean a gated community with twelve billionaires living in it. They can reach their goal so long as each state has at least one.

Why doesn't the FCC and FTC do their jobs and just make it so we have more competition and it will sort itself out. Also, make sure there aren't monopolies or collusion going on.

Why? So people can all have HD Netflix? What purpose does this serve the people of the United States to be making these kinds of worthless demands?

So gigabit to a few houses, still slow ass connections to the rest of the internet. Win.

Why? So people can all have HD Netflix? What purpose does this serve the people of the United States to be making these kinds of worthless demands?

GTFO this site now...

how can you come to a site like Hard and say some thing like that
you have no idea what wide spread 1Gbps connections could bring
you could say the same thing about multi Mbps connections 10 years ago

oh want a use? i dont know about about streaming games from your PC to any where like NV is doing now but not just over your local LAN

how about HD video and i dont mean shit compressed stuff full 1080p or even 4k uncompressed
how about backing up your PC off site
and thats just stuff i can think up off top of my head
im sure once a lot of people have that much bandwidth new stuff will come out
just like the internet evolved when people get faster then 1Mbps connections

GTFO this site now...

No. :p

how can you come to a site like Hard and say some thing like that

Because it's something the government is doing, and if I don't see a purpose for the American people the government is supposed to serve, I'm going to say so. "It would be cool" is not a purpose.

I feel like these days Wireless is evolving faster than wire comm. The only thing backwards about wireless is the damn caps.

Too bad they didn't say that the ISPs can't charge whatever they feel like for this service.

If the ISPs have their way, they would want to charge a couple grand or higher a month to make sure nobody actually subscribes to it in orde rto make it so that they don't have to upgrade anything.

Well, there's no law preventing them from doing it right now. So why aren't they?

And of course, it will happen because the state wills it to be so :rolleyes:

Just like last time, when they threw billions of dollars of taxpayer money to the telecoms because they promised to use that money to bring fiber optic to every home in the US.

The FCC Chairman can say all he wants , Corporations with near unlimited funds for lobbyists in Washington will prevent this from ever happening.

This announce is about as realistic as promising everyone there own fertile plot of land on Mars in 2015.

By the time we get it all the isps well be on tiered plans with caps...

I feel like these days Wireless is evolving faster than wire comm. The only thing backwards about wireless is the damn caps.

thats why....
they know there are less rules for wireless ATT and VZN want out of the wireline world
more money to be made in wireless

No. :p

Because it's something the government is doing, and if I don't see a purpose for the American people the government is supposed to serve, I'm going to say so. "It would be cool" is not a purpose.

so your saying the telephone network, road network and power network
all where a waste of money?
i dont see any thing different about this

No, so stop putting words in my mouth.

That's your problem. All the systems you described had dramatic effects on life. We already have internet infrastructure covering effectively the entire country. This proposal simply sets a speed minimum, and not in any constructive way since it only needs to be in one location per state. This will not have any dramatic impact on the lives of Americans, especially since most Americans can barely find enough purposes to use their 50-100M internet already, apart from streaming video which current infrastructure handles pretty effortlessly.

As long as he has his guns he doesn't care, lol.

No, so stop putting words in my mouth.

That's your problem. All the systems you described had dramatic effects on life. We already have internet infrastructure covering effectively the entire country. This proposal simply sets a speed minimum, and not in any constructive way since it only needs to be in one location per state. This will not have any dramatic impact on the lives of Americans, especially since most Americans can barely find enough purposes to use their 50-100M internet already, apart from streaming video which current infrastructure handles pretty effortlessly.

you can not in any way know what Gbps internet would bring
if 50-100 where the minimum level you be your ass people would find a use for it
but its not and mostly priced out of reach so ISPs can say the "offer it" but no one wants it
sure no one wants it when you price it at 200 bucks a month
make it 30 bucks a month be you see better up take numbers then

you can not in any way know what Gbps internet would bring

Nor can you, so why are you yelling at me like you know something I don't?

if 50-100 where the minimum level you be your ass people would find a use for it

We've had those levels of internet available in most cities now for a few years. They haven't.

but its not and mostly priced out of reach so ISPs can say the "offer it" but no one wants it

It's not priced out of reach. Prices haven't budged much in the last 5-6 years, but speed has. People have barely noticed, though, since they haven't found major uses. They're busy with Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, etc. They are also increasingly relying on mobile internet for their activities, which is slower than the internet offered by most ISPs.

sure no one wants it when you price it at 200 bucks a month
make it 30 bucks a month be you see better up take numbers then

Prices are far closer to 30 than to 200. 20-30 meg usually rings in at 50 bucks or under. 50-100 will cost you around 100 bucks. People aren't buying the faster internet because they don't have a use for it. Again, ISPs have been increasing speed but selling them in the same price tiers they have been for years. People don't upgrade because their needs are either met with what they have, or met with mobile internet. The few people that can find a use for the higher-speed internet can usually access it, usually through FIOS.

And that came along organically, not as a result of government decree.

This is probably gonna go nowhere until internet is dealt with the same way we do highways and utilities. Right now I'd be happy to just get fiber as an option in my area in the next ten years.

Nor can you, so why are you yelling at me like you know something I don't?

We've had those levels of internet available in most cities now for a few years. They haven't.

It's not priced out of reach. Prices haven't budged much in the last 5-6 years, but speed has. People have barely noticed, though, since they haven't found major uses. They're busy with Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, etc. They are also increasingly relying on mobile internet for their activities, which is slower than the internet offered by most ISPs.

Prices are far closer to 30 than to 200. 20-30 meg usually rings in at 50 bucks or under. 50-100 will cost you around 100 bucks. People aren't buying the faster internet because they don't have a use for it. Again, ISPs have been increasing speed but selling them in the same price tiers they have been for years. People don't upgrade because their needs are either met with what they have, or met with mobile internet. The few people that can find a use for the higher-speed internet can usually access it, usually through FIOS.

And that came along organically, not as a result of government decree.

not here
and FiOS is dead VZN is selling it off as fast as the FCC and FTC will let them
dont know what ISP you have but 50mbps with any real upload speed is in the 100+ range in most of the US
with the exception a few lucky places
go look up Mediacom prices then look at what AT&T offers (hint they dont even offer better then ~26Mbps)
the 50Mbps you can get from Mediacom has a 5Mbps upload which is bearly enough to support the 50 down
let me know when you can real 50/50 service in 90% of the US for under 100 bucks a month THEN you might have a case

This is probably gonna go nowhere until internet is dealt with the same way we do highways and utilities. Right now I'd be happy to just get fiber as an option in my area in the next ten years.

same
but some people cant see past there nose it seems

I have no idea where you are, so that means nothing.

and FiOS is dead VZN is selling it off as fast as the FCC and FTC will let them

Google Fiber what?

dont know what ISP you have but 50mbps with any real upload speed is in the 100+ range in most of the US
with the exception a few lucky places
go look up Mediacom prices then look at what AT&T offers (hint they dont even offer better then ~26Mbps)
the 50Mbps you can get from Mediacom has a 5Mbps upload which is bearly enough to support the 50 down
let me know when you can real 50/50 service in 90% of the US for under 100 bucks a month THEN you might have a case

I have Charter internet, and for the last couple of years I've been paying 35 bucks a month for 30 meg. Unfortunately, I'm in the dead zone of a metropolitan area where they're my only option. There's also TDS Metrocom, Verizon, and others...some of whom have even better prices. I've never heard of Mediacom, and AT&T has been known as an overpriced telecom company for years.

And since when is the standard for down/up supposed to be 1/1? I've rarely seen a provider that offers anything more than 5/1.

same
but some people cant see past there nose it seems

It's funny how you claim that nobody knows what Gigabit internet could mean...but you keep acting like you know something that everyone who disagrees with you doesn't.

Comcast is the only option in my area, until they can have some sort of competition or are forced to offer more speed for less price, I don't see things changing.

It's funny how you claim that nobody knows what Gigabit internet could mean...but you keep acting like you know something that everyone who disagrees with you doesn't.

because i have seen what broadband did over dial up and again when multi Mbps connections came about
to think that trend would not continue is short sighted

Google Fiber as much as i would like to see it grow most likely wont ever see the light of day out side KC, KS and KC, MO
if Google can offer it at a good price there is nothing stopping any other ISP other then there own greed

If this is to become a reality, I doubt I'll see it in Omaha. Lincoln will likely be first, with the football college and state capitol being there, and all.

OTOH, Omaha does have the grapple on big business and corporations, so there may be some serious persuasion there to bring it to Omaha first.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming years.

that would be awesome, as I would use my entire monthly bandwith limit in exactly two seconds. Also, these government entities should stop make mandates. If they are as clueless with the internet as they are with most of their legislation they will probably double click their network adapter in the control panel, see its connected at 1.0gbps, and high five each other for a job well done!

because i have seen what broadband did over dial up and again when multi Mbps connections came about
to think that trend would not continue is short sighted

It is short-sighted, actually. People wanted broadband because they could not do what they wanted to do with dial-up. This was true for a lot of people. Now, on the other hand...people have easy, affordable access to speeds of internet that meet their needs. Perhaps if video streaming starts pushing uncompressed 1080p, then people will demand Gigabit internet...but they aren't. Again...many of them are moving to slower internet on mobile devices because they're less interested in speed than they are in accessibility.

Google Fiber as much as i would like to see it grow most likely wont ever see the light of day out side KC, KS and KC, MO

And you know this how?

if Google can offer it at a good price there is nothing stopping any other ISP other then there own greed

Yes, because most ISPs have the funding of an enormous multinational corporation that revolutionized the internet. :rolleyes:

Sounds more like a challenge than any sort of demand.

Like "Come on guys seriously, it's the 21st century, this technology is not exactly new, lets hurry up and stop with the copper!"

What's probably gonna happen is advanced internet based services will take hold in foreign markets first where internet is fast and affordable, we'll probably be the modern "dialup" segment, so many cloud products will remind folks of how Jpegs downloaded on 56k vs their neighbor's DSL.

Business will likely prioritize their products there, stuff like Netflix 3D etc, and billions will probably be made in cloud related services there, those products will not make sense in our market.

Naturally some future high tech jobs will probably shift to such areas as well as some places such as Kansas or San Fran where incumbent telcos are getting embarrassed by Google and other smaller companies.

That's the cost of laziness.

Toooooo many stupid economic barriers are going to hamper such an endeavor.
This linked article suggests that Google Fiber will be a major money losing experiment:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2012/08/21/will-google-fiber-waste-28-billion/

It quotes someone in the industry who says the telcos have determined the ceiling for making a profitable investment in upgrades to home internet is about $700/home. The current costs of deploying fiber-to-the-home are running about $2,500/home in urban areas and up to $6,000 in rural areas. You are probably right about it not happening in the near future. Google's experiment in KC will only take off nationwide if it is somehow able to disprove the current industry wisdom and they are able to turn a profit much sooner than the industry has been able to do thus far with fiber. Given the struggles Verizon has had with profitability through their own fiber deployments, it just doesn't seem very likely anytime soon. Google's experiment in KC will remain just that for quite a while.

Then they'll charge us even more for "faster speeds". Utilities and infrastructure should be done by the government (I seriously can't believe I said that) only because in cases like this, there is absolutely no incentive to innovate and make improvements. Also the government really needs to get on the ball with the whole "our power grid dates back to 1900" thing. Electricity consumption is only going to rise and it's ridiculous how terrible our grid is.

The history of rural electricity access almost exactly coincides with the present situation of broadband access in the US. It took a serious push by a big government program (The rural utilities service http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_Electric_Administration) to provide access to electricity for most Americans, because private utilities simply refused to invest in expansion due to a perceived lack of profit potential.

You know what's funnier? The utility companies of the day made the same exact kind of cry-baby comments about that program, too.

"Private electric utilities argued that the government had no right to compete with or regulate private enterprise, despite many of these utilities' having refused to extend their lines to rural areas, claiming lack of profitability."

This is the exact logic, absolutely verbatim, used in challenging municipal programs attempting to provide broadband internet to under-served areas: "The government shouldn't be allowed to compete with us by providing a service, even if we refuse to offer it ourselves."

Ironically, I'm reluctantly optimistic however :p

Gigabit Internet in every city/state would be "cool", but the botnet implications would be a painful one. We'd need to upgrade international links such as Pacrim, AC-1 and Apollo yet again or end up like Japan with a gigabit connection in our country, and a 6-20mbit connection abroad. People bitch about traffic shaping with their 20mbit connection -- just how upset do you think the basement dwelling torrent monkey is going to be when he cons the parents into a gigabit link and it still takes over an hour to download his Bronie cartoons.

Back