As long as you (general statement) dont take your California leftist liberal despotism to a state that is free and enjoyable, complaining about how bad California was, then force the state you move to, to adopt the policies of California of which you sought to escape. Let's see.... Denver, boulder, Missoula, Bozeman, Spokane are just a few places that come to mind that have been ruined by leftist escaping thier lovely dystopia and then demanding the state they move to be forced into the bullshit policies that they ran from.

The liberal progressive pathogen is lethal to freedom and the true progressive is a literal nutcase mentally. Let everyday evidence show the true nature of these people. What is up is down and down is really up and everything offends the. There is literally nothing that doesn't offend a contemporary liberal. Literally nothing.

Spoken like a person who's only contact with a 'liberal' is from fox news talking heads..... How about them nice proffitable deep red states with non-liberal policies that definitely aren't mooching off the government while crying about 'liberals' and 'immigrants' that 'toooook 'er jebs'.....

But this text thing is such a waste of god damn time and effort. The robo/spam calls are by far the worst offender. That shit needs to be fixed like now. I get a minimum of 3 spam calls a day, sometimes up to like 7-8. It's god damn ridiculous, and I've been on the DNC list since it first came out.

you could also do what i did:

leave the state and watch it burn to the ground from afar

Both my wife and my families are here in California, along with almost everyone we know.

However, I still haven't ruled out moving when I retire. The amount of money we would get from selling our overpriced home would provide for a real nice retirement in a lower cost state.

I think spammers use the DNC as a list of potential victims. On my previous number I received very few robocalls... against my better judgement I decided to enter my number into the official DO NOT CALL website's database. Not long after that I started getting robocalls like crazy, spammers, phishers, scammers, etc. It was bad. 10-20 calls a day at one point. I would block them and they would just call from another local number. I finally changed my number and never put it on the DNC... I get very few bad calls now, maybe one or two a week. I do not trust the DNC system, at all.

I got a call from a really pissed off dude yesterday, insisting that I was spam calling him. He had no patience to learn about CID spoofing.

Regardless, I really despise this FCC guy, so I'll believe it when I see it.

But yeah I don't get much in the way of SMS spam.

.... Why doesn't California just come out and tax the air you breath already. The sun and moon. Fuck just give your entire pay check to California. Then get a 2nd job and give them that one too.
Because if California did actually do it, then people like you wouldn't be able to bitch and moan about ideas some legislative member brought up at a meeting "that one time at band camp". Key word there is IDEA.

So.... the answer to spam phone calls is to define calls as an information service? Since pretty much all calls are Internet packets for most of their travels, seems like reclassifying would be possible.

The "Do Not Call" law specifically exempts political crap from having to obey the list. I think calls for charitable donations are also exempted.

Then they need to amend it so it doesn't exempt anything. I do not want to be contacted by random strangers via call or text for any reason that involves pushing a product or agenda.

Wifey would have a heart attack even at 1 cent per text. She must text me 25 times a day

It sounds good. But there has to be something in it for Ajit. Somehow, he's making bank above and beyond his salary on this.

Spoken like a person who's only contact with a 'liberal' is from fox news talking heads..... How about them nice proffitable deep red states with non-liberal policies that definitely aren't mooching off the government while crying about 'liberals' and 'immigrants' that 'toooook 'er jebs'.....

But this text thing is such a waste of god damn time and effort. The robo/spam calls are by far the worst offender. That shit needs to be fixed like now. I get a minimum of 3 spam calls a day, sometimes up to like 7-8. It's god damn ridiculous, and I've been on the DNC list since it first came out.

Wait, really, the "deep red states, nice profitable"..... Let's not talk Hollywood entertainer pay, let's confine this exploration to laborers like carpenters and brick layers, and other trades. Compare the average wage for any of the trades in California to say Texas or any other "deep red state".

I'll start and throw a few out there, and you see if the same doesn't hold true across the board.

California;
https://www.bls.gov/oes/2016/may/oes_ca.htm

Carpenters Median Hourly Wage $25.24 Annual Mean Wage $55,780
Bank Tellers Median Hourly Wage $13.83 Annual Mean Wage $29,780
Postal Service Mail Carriers Median Hourly Wage $28.77 Annual Mean Wage $52,240

Texas;
Carpenters Median Hourly Wage 3$17.27 Annual Mean Wage $38,000
Bank Tellers Median Hourly Wage $12.23 Annual Mean Wage $26,640
Postal Service Mail Carriers Median Hourly Wage $27.72 Annual Mean Wage $50,380

Now what I want to draw attention to here is where there is equality, (that isn't equal), and where their is disparity (that is actual equality).

https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/dallas-tx-vs-orange-county-ca

This one says that a carpenter working in Dallas, TX earning the listed Annual Mean wage of $38K a year needs to get $54,123 to break even cost of living wise in Orange County, CA. That is amazingly close to what the government says in the annual mean average wage for California. And it also says that a Bank Teller working in Dallas earning $26,700 annually needs about $38K a year but ...... yea that wage is California, well it says that the Average Mean Annual wage is only $30K ..... sounds like it's going to suck for bank tellers. What about Postal Delivery people, the $50,380 they are making in Dallas means they need to make over $70K to break even, but the State average is only $52,240. What gives with this?

Looks like tech people or people with real trade skills come out ok, but the ones who need less training, etc, they are going to suck it bad in Cali, how are they making it at all?

Is it the benefits for lower income folks in Cali? Are they making it because of assistance programs? Is it taxation at work covering the difference so employers don't have to pay decent wages to people because the government is taking up the slack? And if that's true, who's profiting here? Seems like employers in California pay out less in payroll so are they the ones being taxed harder to cover the salary differences?

I'm asking here Biznatch, not making bold statements, help us understand.

@icpiper Sorry, I'm failing to understand how that relates to my comment to the previous poster. He was making some broad dumb claims about 'liberals' in california being a 'pathogen' killing democracy across the country. The comment about red states was that at least cali is not leaching funds from the federal government like most of the deep red states. But F cali, as soon as my situation allows I'll be taking my money to a cheaper state.

Does dude not look like another orange toned douchebag?

WTF had happened to politics; only the peeps we beat up as children get to be in Govt?

As long as you (general statement) dont take your California leftist liberal despotism to a state that is free and enjoyable, complaining about how bad California was, then force the state you move to, to adopt the policies of California of which you sought to escape. Let's see.... Denver, boulder, Missoula, Bozeman, Spokane are just a few places that come to mind that have been ruined by leftist escaping thier lovely dystopia and then demanding the state they move to be forced into the bullshit policies that they ran from.

The liberal progressive pathogen is lethal to freedom and the true progressive is a literal nutcase mentally. Let everyday evidence show the true nature of these people. What is up is down and down is really up and everything offends the. There is literally nothing that doesn't offend a contemporary liberal. Literally nothing.

i have recently moved away from conservative towards a "all politics are evil, no politicians can be trusted and both are simply two sides of the same crappy coin" attitude.
one thing i have NEVER been is liberal/progressive.

Both my wife and my families are here in California, along with almost everyone we know.

However, I still haven't ruled out moving when I retire. The amount of money we would get from selling our overpriced home would provide for a real nice retirement in a lower cost state.

NV: its not great but its not california and yet still close to california

Well that's exactly it. Look I'm pushing retirement, no
@icpiper Sorry, I'm failing to understand how that relates to my comment to the previous poster. He was making some broad dumb claims about 'liberals' in california being a 'pathogen' killing democracy across the country. The comment about red states was that at least cali is not leaching funds from the federal government like most of the deep red states. But F cali, as soon as my situation allows I'll be taking my money to a cheaper state.

Okay, so no, I wasn't really trying to weight in explicitly to the conversation with the other guy cause that wasn't really a conversation as such. But I did want to address this blue state red state thing related to California. So bear with me, and tell me if I'm really off track here, I'm exploring .....

Did you see where I was going related to lower skilled jobs, that it was State assistance that is making up the difference in pay. If I am right on that, then the next step in my thought chain is that income is taxed, assistance not so much. So a State like Texas has no State Income tax at all. People pay their Federal taxes, but the State raises it's revenues largely through real property and sales, or other use taxes.

But in California's case, the people aren't making any higher income on the low end, then someone with the same job in Texas. And at the lower pay ranges, people have to file a return but they don't actually pay a very high tax rate. So these aren't the people covering California's assistance programs with their taxes, and the employer's are paying less than the cost of living warrants, (because of the assistance programs I assume), so how is California raising the revenue to cover assistance to the largest wage groups of the State if they aren't collecting it from the workers or the worker's employers at rates commensurate to the cost of living in the region? Someone is shitting that money right?

But in California's case, the people aren't making any higher income on the low end, then someone with the same job in Texas. And at the lower pay ranges, people have to file a return but they don't actually pay a very high tax rate. So these aren't the people covering California's assistance programs with their taxes, and the employer's are paying less than the cost of living warrants, (because of the assistance programs I assume), so how is California raising the revenue to cover assistance to the largest wage groups of the State if they aren't collecting it from the workers or the worker's employers at rates commensurate to the cost of living in the region? Someone is shitting that money right?

One of the highest sales tax rates in the country and the highest state tax rate (on the rich).

Besides, everyone knows that 89% of all statistics are made up :p

NV: its not great but its not california and yet still close to california

Vegas - no thanks, but I wouldn't mind moving to some place like Reno, but the wife doesn't like the cold.
Thinking maybe Texas or southern state within driving range of a cruise ship port.
Last minute cruises make for a cheap vacation if you are close enough to drive to the port, especially if you are retired and can go off season.

One of the highest sales tax rates in the country and the highest state tax rate (on the rich).
That's the thing... it's a high income tax for the "rich", but if you compare to other states if you're married in CA and making less than 65k/year you're effective tax rate is less than 4%, which is actually fairly low for that amount of money. I mean a place like Idaho maxes out it's top income bracket at 22k for crying out loud and that's a married amount, and it's 7.4%, you'd need to make $150k a year to have an effective tax rate of that in CA.

Now granted unless you're a teacher 65k is a fairly low amount, but lots of people making less than that in the state. It's funny because everyone always talks about kicking California out of the country or what not, and that would probably be the best thing possible from a tax perspective because we all get fucked over by federal tax rates because those brackets aren't adjusted to "California pricing", plus California gives more to the feds than it receives so ultimately we'd make more money... that unfortunately I'm sure our politicians would spend almost instantly, but what are you going to do... politician.

Vegas - no thanks, but I wouldn't mind moving to some place like Reno, but the wife doesn't like the cold.
Thinking maybe Texas or southern state within driving range of a cruise ship port.
Last minute cruises make for a cheap vacation if you are close enough to drive to the port, especially if you are retired and can go off season.

reno/tahoe are better to live in than vegas for sure... i went to central texas myself but partially because my friends and family were already here.... plus of course i can afford to buy a house there... which is exactly what i did.

......... plus California gives more to the feds than it receives so ultimately we'd make more money...............

Wait up now.

What I was saying has in impact on this. If what I am saying is near close to reality, California is cheating the Federal Government out of a lot of income tax revenue by subsidizing low income people so much, while allowing employers to keep wages so low for unskilled labor.

What I am saying is that if California shut down it's State assistance for the poor, employers would have to step it up and pay wages commensurate with the cost of living, and those higher wages would impact Federal Tax revenues on workers, and on employers as they pay a slice also based on wages.

Now keep in mind, I'm not setting out on a campaign to smear California, I'm just trying to see if I am understanding this dynamic properly. If there is something I'm missing by all means bring it up. I'm all ears on this, I'm not an economist, this isn't my specialty.

plus California gives more to the feds than it receives so ultimately we'd make more money... that unfortunately I'm sure our politicians would spend almost instantly, but what are you going to do... politician.

That's using old numbers. With the expansion of welfare and especially Medicaid/Medical the last few years, that's not really true any more.

Back