FCC to Halt Rule That Protects Your Private Data from Security Breaches

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The FCC may be making it easier for your data to fall into the wrong hands or used for financial gain. The previous chairman approved a rule that made it mandatory for a provider to ask for permission before collecting data on your browsing habits, app usage, and location or financial information, but the new guy is rolling that back. Pai insists that the decision is being made for the purpose of consistency, as the rule was specific to broadband providers and not every other player in the digital economy.

The data security rule requires ISPs and phone companies to take "reasonable" steps to protect customers' information—such as Social Security numbers, financial and health information, and Web browsing data—from theft and data breaches. "Chairman Pai is seeking to act on a request to stay this rule before it takes effect on March 2," an FCC spokesperson said in a statement to Ars. The rule would be blocked even if a majority of commissioners supported keeping them in place, because the FCC's Wireline Competition Bureau can make the decision on its own.

Last edited:
As has been said previously by many others, the dingos really are in charge of the baby this round, and they aren't even trying to hide it. This is going to be a nightmarish four years that will take far, far longer to fix this administration's damage. I really fear for my country and fellow Americans. :/

sorry Blunt...your king Obonehead ...turned over the internet to the FCC...demanding and getting it regulated as a utility...so you got what you voted for...your 'user tax' will be showing up on your bill soon...

besides you can't really think that the last 8 years of income redistribution , NSA data collection , IRS targeting , the justice department not enforcing federal law , et al...was a "good" thing...

besides II...your Sandinista democrats have been in control of Congress for the majority of the last 100 years...and as we all know , Congress is where the rubber meets the road...

These clowns won't be in office past 4 years if you all do your part to inform your family and friends. Any civilized low key chance I get, I indirectly attack them as to not sound full on political. Most people are even unaware of the seeds I'm planting.

This is a good thing to bring up or comment on if the subject comes up. You don't even have to use Trump. I usually lead with "administration" lol.

What is it I'm not understanding? These two statements seem at odds with each other.

The Federal Communications Commission plans to halt implementation of a privacy rule that requires ISPs to protect the security of its customers' personal information.

But the privacy order stressed that following these standards is "voluntary" and that "providers retain the option to use whatever risk management approach best fits their needs."

sorry Blunt...your king Obonehead ...turned over the internet to the FCC...demanding and getting it regulated as a utility...so you got what you voted for...your 'user tax' will be showing up on your bill soon...

It needs to be regulated as a utility. Don't give me the whole "free market will regulate itself" bullshit - that line of thinking is what got us Comcast being supreme assholes, and some ISPs stifling compeition (they have the market cornered). It being regulated as utility is what brought us Net Neutrality, and if it weren't for that, you'd be paying $5 a month just so you can access HardOCP without it being a shit connection. Same with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

Obama did us all a favor by having Wheeler at the helm. This Pai asshole wants the FCC to be gone, and with it, consumer protections.

NN took effect end of Feb. 2015.

Before that were we paying an extra $5/month to access HardOCP? Amazon Video? Maybe we were I can't recall.

besides you can't really think that the last 8 years of income redistribution , NSA data collection , IRS targeting , the justice department not enforcing federal law , et al...was a "good" thing...

besides II...your Sandinista democrats have been in control of Congress for the majority of the last 100 years...and as we all know , Congress is where the rubber meets the road...

The only reason people can get electricity all the way to their houses is because the government declared it a regulated utility. Before that, you could only get it from one company (Edison electric), you had to pay whatever rate they wanted to charge, and if they didn't want to run power lines out to your house you were just out of luck.

When competition doesn't work, regulation is the only answer, and the major ISPs have already stated many times (in actual statements, not just actions) that they don't want to compete with each other.

Before that were we paying an extra $5/month to access HardOCP? Amazon Video? Maybe we were I can't recall.

No, but the ISPs were threatening to do it. HardOCP is a poor example, but if Comcast starts charging a fee to Amazon (for speeds above 512kbps) then that fee will be passed on to the customers.

Do we really need to wait for someone to actually take advantage of customers before we ban taking advantage of customers?

And those people are?

I've had cable internet for well over 10 years. Sorry to burst your bubble. I live in the middle of noowhere too. Billings MT.

Some old folks and people living out in the country side can't get high speed internet yet or don't even want it. Sounds like a real emergency. You have got to be kidding me.

And those people are?

I've had cable internet for well over 10 years. Sorry to burst your bubble. I live in the middle of noowhere too. Billings MT.

"Those people" are 90% of the customer base for satellite internet. If EVERYONE had access to cable, do you really think anyone would be paying 3 times as much, for half the speed, and a latency measured seconds instead of milliiseconds?

Also, while Montana may be a whole lot of empty space, Billings MT is far from being a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. (110,000 people, 10% of the state population)

If you drove 30 minutes in any direction you would find houses that don't have access to any sort of high-speed internet. For example, I picked a random house in the center of Huntley MT (113 Peritse ave) and the local DSL provider (centurylink) doesn't offer service to that address (there doesn't appear to be any cable providers at all for that city)

A picture worth 1000 words and all that... Do you want more of this stuff?

comcastnetflix2.jpg

Are you really blaming this big steaming pile of bullshit on Obama? Really???

It's OK guys, he's got plenty of anecdotes living in Billings. I'm sure he knows better than all of us and the data that's available out there - after all, anyone who calls Obama "king Obonehead" has no need for silly things like facts, or reality.

FCC needs to be relabeled as Fucking Consumers Constantly - think we can get Congress to push it through in the current session? :D

dumbass cunt, providers have direct access to our communication data, whereas other "digital economy" players only have access when we initiate contact with them you shit gibbon fart sniffing bucket of vomit!

Reactions: Zuul
like this
It's OK guys, he's got plenty of anecdotes living in Billings. I'm sure he knows better than all of us and the data that's available out there - after all, anyone who calls Obama "king Obonehead" has no need for silly things like facts, or reality.
To be fair, that isn't any different than calling Donald Trump 'Cheetolini' or 'Cheeto in chief" or 'Tiny-Hands-Trump'

Atleast the Democrats are creative enough to attack Trump on the basis of his appearance, instead of terrible name puns like 'Obummer' and 'Obonehead"

To be fair, that isn't any different than calling Donald Trump 'Cheetolini' or 'Cheeto in chief" or 'Tiny-Hands-Trump'

Atleast the Democrats are creative enough to attack Trump on the basis of his appearance, instead of terrible name puns like 'Obummer' and 'Obonehead"

I do agree that calling him out on his appearance rather than his policy is stupid.

And those people are?

It's the same for water and sewer, if you are in the country you get a septic and a well.

I agree with making this a non-discriminatory rule and applying it to all businesses; but I'm not sure this is the way to get there.

Well, in defense, the former are actually kinda comical because Trump is orange. Obonehead is just a lazy attempt at being insulting. Obummer isn't bad.

It's the same for water and sewer, if you are in the country you get a septic and a well.
Water and sewer are (usually) city-owned utilities, so you have to be within a city for that. (also, sewer and water is a LOT harder to install than coax/fiber/phone/power, since you can't hang a sewer pipe from the telephone poles)

Septic/well is also a suitable substitute for water/sewer (and in some cases better), but there is no good substitute for DSL/Cable (except maybe wireless, but then you have data caps)

This is the third horrid Trunp FCC ruling recently. First that Verizon-blowing fucktard Pai stopped investigations into Zero Rating, which is one of the more pernicious Net Neutrality issues because uninformed people often can't see the issue. Next, the Trump FCC and its chair, Pai, again removed the transparency reporting requirements so that ISPs with 250,000 members or under (including the many, many subsidiaries and local "branches" of the big ISPs like Comcast and Verizon) don't have to accurate tell the consumers what kind of service they're getting or what they'll end up paying for it - see https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...s-attack-on-net-neutrality-transparency-rules - for instance. Now there is this garbage where megacorps will be able to have even more wide ranging ability to drain your personal information than they huge gulf they already have!

Unbelievable and truly sickening attacks on the principles that enable quality access to an open Internet... and it is going to get worse before it gets better ; IF it gets better, which only happens if we fight for change. Its time to put an end to all of this - ISPs have been bad-actors for a very long time and its time we castrate corporate greed from (at least that aspect of) the Internet. The first step to do so is of course passing a law enshrining Net Neutrality principles. After that, its time to block the cashflow the draconian ISPs use to lobby for this garbage by making all information infrastructure public owned, as they should have been from the beginning. We The People already paid for Verizon, Comcast et al to lay the copper, cable, and fiber with huge subsidy, but they did the minimum work for maximum profit and pocketed the rest to go into lobbying on every level to allow their asinine exclusivity agreements and other garbage. We paid for it, why do they own the lines and exercise their dominion over them by refusing to allow anyone else onboard? Time to end that once and for all by taking back the infrastructure making it public owned and manged not unlike our Interstate highwy system. This actually should make everyone happy, because it allows for greater competition with regards to ISPs because anyone can lease access to run an ISP on the public lines (and towers; we ought to do the same with wireless/mobile but that's another story) if they meet the basic requirements/payments to do so. This will also encourage the growth of public, municipal broadband projects/ISPs that will lead to the kind of "$30-50 for gigabit, uncapped fiber to the home" that will never be possible letting telecoms and private corps cripple and encumber the public good when it can profit them.

These are just a few of the steps we need to take to get information infrastructure and policies towards the kind of wide-ranging benefit they're supposed to be. There is a lot of other aspects that need to be addressed, such as personal privacy, but Net Neutrality enforcement and public ownership of all information infrastructure with a clear cogent rollout policy are good places to start, especially when we're going to have to deal with rolling back the pathogenic policies of the current administration.

Also, while Montana may be a whole lot of empty space, Billings MT is far from being a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. (110,000 people, 10% of the state population)
As far as the rest of this country is concerned practically anywhere in MT may as well be the moon. Nobody cares. True that not all of it is rural.
A picture worth 1000 words and all that... Do you want more of this stuff?
We've had cable and DSL access for how long now? With how many customers and how many ISPs? And we have one instance of one provider behaving badly with throttling. Meh.
Wow. You are just overflowing with compassion for others.
Rural high speed cheap internet access is a low priority. Exactly as it should be. Cheap shots like this accusing me personally of lacking compassion because gramps doesn't have cheap internet 80 miles from town are pretty lame.
What a dope. In your haste to levy a smug insult against me you have confused me with someone else. I never called Obama a name in this thread.
I agree with making this a non-discriminatory rule and applying it to all businesses; but I'm not sure this is the way to get there.
Agree.

I can imagine in a few months time staff turning up to the Whitehouse to find it stripped empty with just pieces of news paper blowing around on the floor and a bunch of Trump's top guys on a private plane to some non-extradition treaty island with billions in public dollars transferred.

Water and sewer are (usually) city-owned utilities, so you have to be within a city for that. (also, sewer and water is a LOT harder to install than coax/fiber/phone/power, since you can't hang a sewer pipe from the telephone poles)

Septic/well is also a suitable substitute for water/sewer (and in some cases better), but there is no good substitute for DSL/Cable (except maybe wireless, but then you have data caps)

DSL/Cable is not a necessity/entitlement. Water and sewer is a necessity and yes they have county water and sewer as well. You can get satellite for internet as well as a hotspot from a cell phone provider, my mom used it for years.

Just for the record Obama sux.

Back