FCC Says There Is No Documented 'Analysis' of the Cyberattack It Claims Crippled Its Website

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In early May the FCC website was bombarded with traffic, which caused its website to temporarily crash while reportedly receiving 160 comments per minute about Net Neutrality. Gizmodo filed a FOIA request to get some information regarding records of the supposed cyber attack. The agency's chief information officer, David Bray, stated in a letter on May 8 that an "analysis" had revealed that the FCC was "subject to multiple distributed denial-of-service attacks," now however, the agency claims there is no documentation of an "analysys."

So why is there no documentation? Is it perhaps they found that this was not a DDoS attack, but instead an influx of pissed off Americans? All in the FCC only released 16 pages to Gizmodo with 209 pages related to the incident being refused to be released. Use this as a reminder to shoot a comment to the FCC and to write your representatives if you are in favor of Net Nutrality.

The agency claims that while its IT staff observed a cyberattack taking place, those observations "did not result in written documentation."

That is lame. Whose gonna be the scapegoat for this shit? I know... how about them losers in IT? That's not cool. They can't admit that its pissed off Americans can they?

So why is there no documentation? Is it perhaps they found that this was not a DDoS attack, but instead an influx of pissed off Americans?

Or it was one of the ISP bots that wasn't programmed correctly. The ones that were submitting fake pro-repeal comments using public name records. That's likely why this is being swept away. It wouldn't take too much analysis to see if the loss of service corresponded with a ton of pro-repeal comments being submitted in mass, all using the same comments.

And unfortunately, as loud as we want to get, I don't think there's anything we can do. This repeal will go through. My elected official sent me a nice form letter explaining how my view was wrong and that repealing NN will further innovation yadda yadda. It was most likely written by the ISP lobby, as it was almost verbatim their talking points.

I really don't know why we bother having elections anymore, the people we elect are bought and paid for by the ones with the loudest voices (money).

Someone on reddit was suggesting that there was no DDoS on the website itself. Whoever was behind the spam bots, filled out the FCC's form to request API access.

Hey giant ISP's, bribe and corrupt all you want. The day Trump and crew are expelled your asses are going to be PUBLIC UTILITY critical to PUBLIC SAFETY faster than your Exorcist heads can spin.

I think legislated $9.95/mo 100/20Mbps over fiber to every American home/business is a good starting point, and $4.95/mo 5Glte over the entire 3 million sq miles of USA lower 48 is the cherry on top.

Hey giant ISP's, bribe and corrupt all you want. The day Trump and crew are expelled your asses are going to be PUBLIC UTILITY critical to PUBLIC SAFETY faster than your Exorcist heads can spin.

I think legislated $9.95/mo 100/20Mbps over fiber to every American home/business is a good starting point, and $4.95/mo 5Glte over the entire 3 million sq miles of USA lower 48 is the cherry on top.

I don't get why you think that this is a remotely reasonable outcome? None of my other utilities work like this. I just got my $200+ electric bill for June with that cute chart they send that has the "historic" picture of my usage, next month it will be the highest for the year. And the kicker is, none of it has anything to do with my actual usage at the meter. We were gone one year, we had almost everything turned off, we still got a record usage report and a matching bill and when we called them about it they just said, they bill based on history usage across all households in my area. It's like billing based on a Bell Curve :(

So how is it Jack, that you think we will get something like what you think is reasonable?

I don't get why you think that this is a remotely reasonable outcome? None of my other utilities work like this. I just got my $200+ electric bill for June with that cute chart they send that has the "historic" picture of my usage, next month it will be the highest for the year. And the kicker is, none of it has anything to do with my actual usage at the meter. We were gone one year, we had almost everything turned off, we still got a record usage report and a matching bill and when we called them about it they just said, they bill based on history usage across all households in my area. It's like billing based on a Bell Curve :(

So how is it Jack, that you think we will get something like what you think is reasonable?
Bell curve billing? Meter not working? No meter?

Back